Does Nintendo's attitude put you off buying their stuff?

It should be obvious but a switch with the build quality of an apple product would cost the same as an apple product. That isn't going to work as a mass market product. 

The screen on the switch lite is waaay better than that on my Vita Slim, that oled Vita wasn't around for very long really. 

7 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

It's a phrase to signify tight cost control

For which I would repeat for all companies. 

I mean let’s be realistic here - if you’re comparing the build quality of the Switch, which I believe was the complaint, to Apple products, the comparison given, then in order to achieve that level of quality a Switch would cost between £700 & £1000. For  a relatively low cost product to meet market demand, that’s never going to happen. 

50 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Nintendo is exhausting.

They do great stuff, but they stumble through everything, often forgetting IP and tech the rest of the world adopts, and then rekindling passion in the weirdest of ways, while wondering why nobody likes game X. Every so often they knock it out of the park. I tend to forget about Nintendo, then have a few months of zealous Nintendo-sessions, and fade out again.

I both love and hate them, making me want to chuck the Switch and enshrine it at the same time. Whereas Sony is more of background hum: only annoying when you pay attention to it.

Do Microsoft.

21 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

It's a phrase to signify tight cost control

Successful company in protecting profit margins shocker! I get why people find this frustrating, especially as a lot of gamers think developers should act as some sort of hybrid charities.

I also don't remotely understand the emulation problems either, there is literally a page on reddit with links to every fucking Nintendo game up to the Gamecube (and maybe Wii?). I could install retroarch within 5 minutes. I'm hardly Edward Snowdon either.

Any brand worship (and we all know it exists just as much, and weirdly, in Sony, MS, Apple and various other threads on here) is odd. It's a money making exercise that happens to make a product you like, or don't, who cares. Middle aged gamers are absurdly entitled for some reason, i'll never understand it.

1 minute ago, rgraves said:

Are we just going to let this fly? It's trump-level bullshit.

They're not perfect, far from it, but that doesn't mean it's OK to just go around making up bollocks like that.

Let’s not let facts get in the way of opinion. 

Also, not protecting your IP is an absolute shortcut to losing it. I've only worked with patents but if you fail to protect them you'll run into all sorts off issues should you try and do so in the future. It's not a million miles off the Donkey Kong case with Paramount(?) or whichever studio claimed they owned the rights to King Kong.

Also, out of curiosity, what are people struggling to do/find with emulation of Nintendo stuff?

6 minutes ago, phresh said:

Also, not protecting your IP is an absolute shortcut to losing it. I've only worked with patents but if you fail to protect them you'll run into all sorts off issues should you try and do so in the future. It's not a million miles off the Donkey Kong case with Paramount(?) or whichever studio claimed they owned the rights to King Kong.

Also, out of curiosity, what are people struggling to do/find with emulation of Nintendo stuff?

It was Nintendo's lawyers who got emuparadise to take down all their ROMs. 

I'd say their attitude is what makes them the only company now I'd buy a new console from.

To expand on that it's their attitude to quality, investment in doing new hardware/software that others don't, releasing finished polished games, finding new gameplay nuance, doing their own thing in general at their own pace.

Their attitude to IP is fine by me and its every companies choice how they choose to manage this, sure some could say emulation of old games should be allowed in the public domain but legally it isn't and why should Nintendo, if they don't want to, allow people to freely distribute or profit off of their IP. 

3 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It was Nintendo's lawyers who got emuparadise to take down all their ROMs. 

If Emuparadise were the only romsite on the net (and a quick google throws up an emuparadise.me with Nintendo games on) i'd get that. I'm just genuinely curious what emulation people are struggling to get/do on official Nintendo games.

2 minutes ago, phresh said:

If Emuparadise were the only romsite on the net (and a quick google throws up an emuparadise.me with Nintendo games on) i'd get that. I'm just genuinely curious what emulation people are struggling to get/do on official Nintendo games.

It’s a super weird complaint, that because Nintendo do not officially authorise free distribution or their older games or fan made remakes they are somehow “anti gamer” (think that was the expression used)

25 minutes ago, phresh said:

You can emulate Nintendo easy enough and it's all out-there to find. But for me, Nintendo is the company that proudly announces that they got the whole emulation site taken down (like emuparadise for example) rather than just getting the Nintendo content removed. They have been so vocal in taking down emulation sites, fan game sites, even getting videos taken down off twitch and YouTube. To me, while Nintendo has every right to do this, it's likely to annoy as many people as it pleases and I feel it could be construed as bullying. 

It's the polar opposite for example of George Lucas and his protection of Star Wars.  He made his billions, the films are hugely popular, they'll come down on you like a tonne of bricks if you pirate.  But his companies released sound effects, music and CGI artwork specifically to help the community make their fan films.  It's a great attitude and surely one that spreads the message that Lucasfilm are a nice bunch of people. 

Nintendo are great, just getting my wallet ready to buy Mario 3D world for the 3rd time. 

I do get annoyed at the so called Switch Tax but I guess if you buy physical this isn’t such an issue with resales. 

1 minute ago, dumpster said:

You can emulate Nintendo easy enough and it's all out-there to find. But for me, Nintendo is the company that proudly announces that they got the whole emulation site taken down (like emuparadise for example) rather than just getting the Nintendo content removed. They have been so vocal in taking down emulation sites, fan game sites, even getting videos taken down off twitch and YouTube. To me, while Nintendo has every right to do this, it's likely to annoy as many people as it pleases and I feel it could be construed as bullying. 

It's the polar opposite for example of George Lucas and his protection of Star Wars.  He made his billions, the films are hugely popular, yet his companies released sound effects, music and CGI artwork specifically to help the community make their fan films.  It's a great attitude and surely one that spreads the message that Lucasfilm are a nice bunch of people. 

Ok, that makes sense. Although I do think this is all within an emulation bubble, i'm not sure how many Nintendo console owners would have the slightest clue this happened (I didn't and I dabble in emulation enough to know what i'm doing). I do get the frustrations though, and it's a futile exercise by Nintendo in my view, and i'm sure they know that, it's just about being shown to protect your IP.

Completely agree with your second point though, there is no reason why certain things couldn't be used as part of some sort of non-commercial open license, especially as these projects have a small reach at the best of times.

7 minutes ago, dumpster said:

It's the polar opposite for example of George Lucas and his protection of Star Wars.  He made his billions, the films are hugely popular, they'll come down on you like a tonne of bricks if you pirate.  But his companies released sound effects, music and CGI artwork specifically to help the community make their fan films.  It's a great attitude and surely one that spreads the message that Lucasfilm are a nice bunch of people. 

And Nintendo’s attitude towards all this actually stops you enjoying their games to the point where you sold your Switch, blimey. 

Nintendo have made quite a few new games/IP for Switch, though? ARMS, Ring Fit, LABO, that Snipping thing etc. You might not like them but they’re being made.

For me they’re very much an antidote to brown and browner games. They’re fun, make me curious and aren’t trying to sell me a poorly-told story that’s more suited to a Channel 5 drama. 

As far as fan games and streamers, I think I’m on the company’s side. Screw fan games and streamers.

I kind of agree with the OP on this. I barely use my Switch: it seems like most of Nintendo's output this gen either consists of straight re-releases of games I played years ago, or rehashes of the same concepts. Stuff like the Mario collection which should be definitive collections of classics feel like minimum-effort cash-ins. The machine feels underpowered (even big titles like the new Hyrule Warriors and Link's Awakening have frame rate problems) and games are lacking features like inverted controls that should be standard. The online store is a crapshoot and I don't even find the thing comfortable to hold as a handheld. It's my least favourite Nintendo console by a country mile.

Just to add, when AM2R came out, Nintendo filed cease and desist orders, takedowns etc and it was a shame because it was an amazing game.  

Fast forward to today and if you Google AM2R the first result gets you an instant download. So Nintendo's heavy handed approach seems to have achieved nothing, other than showing the world they can be bullies.  If Nintendo had simply commented "we're so glad you love Metroid so much to make this. We love Metroid too and are excited for the forthcoming Samus Returns on 3DS" the end result would be exactly the same but they would have come across as a friendlier company. 

If Nintendo genuinely believed some harm would come from AM2R, and their actions really had permanently made it vanish that's a thing.  But as mentioned above with emuparadise.me, the actions taken to remove emulation and fan sites doesn't change anything. 

And if the argument is that emulation costs sales how can they explain their huge selling Mario Galaxy collection on Switch?

I don't think it counts as having a problem with Nintendo's attitude but I know I'm less likely to buy a third party game on the Switch than I am on PS or Xbox. I'm just more confident that I'll be able to play that game on whatever box Sony or Microsoft put out next than I am with Nintendo. Obviously that could change overnight if the Switch Pro or whatever comes out and ties in to your existing library as well as the PS5 and Xbox Series have managed. 

It used to annoy me when they'd do silly shit like use a proprietary connector to charge the Wii-U tablet instead of standard USB. They don't seem to do that anymore so obviously I'm not annoyed by it anymore. Deep. 

2 minutes ago, dumpster said:

If Nintendo genuinely believed some harm would come from AM2R, and their actions really had permanently made it vanish that's a thing.  But as mentioned above with emuparadise.me, the actions taken to remove emulation and fan sites doesn't change anything. 

Except it does to an extent, because you can argue, in court, that you have tried to protect your IP, even if the stuff is still available elsewhere.

Err, I’m not a Nintendo fanboy, but without Nintendo, specially the Switch, I wouldn’t even be into non-retro gaming. Don’t own a PS4 or PS5 or Xbox, and couldn’t even tell you what the new Xbox is specifically called(!), and have real motivation or time to get involved with the systems.

I ‘get’ that Nintendo is quite frustratingly consumer-unfriendly in some ways, and rather backwards in some attitudes, but I also think they genuinely think of themselves as showering its users with fan-pleasing cool stuff, even if like the Switch NES/SNES games service, their offering could be far better (I mean, where’s the ambition to do a Netflix, but for console retrogaming?). They seem to have an idea of what their fans want, but are just weird and inflexible and eccentric about it.

Anyway, you have to admire Nintendo on some level for making the Switch a huge success, arguably against most expectations, after the Homermobile that was the Wii U. 

(And yeah, I do get a bit frustrated too that Nintendo’s hardware isn’t exactly competitively high-end these days. Arguably the most recent console of theirs that was was the GameCube, which was released twenty years ago this year.)

I have been a life long Nintendo Fan from my early years playing the NES and Gameboy right up to the 3DS and Switch. Nintendo have made loads of questionable decisions when it comes to their IP's and content and to be honest I understand it. They are protecting the main assets to their consoles The Nintendo seal of Quality was always something I looked out for as a kid and I stand by Nintendo's original IP's today.

I have my PC for MMORPG's my Playstations for JRPGS and my X-boxes for shooters my Nintendo consoles are for casual gaming and now as a farther for spending time playing family games. Regardless of Nintendo's streaming policies and bans on emulation I fully understand what they are trying to achieve.

This of course is my opinion I just wanted to share it :D

The machine doesn't feel underpowered to me, it's a portable system that's noticeably more powerful than a 360/ps3. It's pretty groundbreaking in that sense. How much power do people expect? 

1 minute ago, deerokus said:

The machine doesn't feel underpowered to me, it's a portable system that's more powerful than a 360/ps3. It's pretty groundbreaking in that sense. How much power do people expect? 

Fanboys care about which console is better gamers just care about the games they play. I never got the dick measuring contests if I'm honest.