Does Nintendo's attitude put you off buying their stuff?

Even as a man in my 40s if I want to spend some time playing games, I'm not looking to shoot people in the face, or drive through a nicely rendered city. I'm going to want to play something Nintendo made with all the love and fun that goes into it. Way more people who work for Nintendo made Breath of the Wild, and designed the Switch than decided to prosecute some emulators or streamers, or decided the price of products, so does Nintendo's attitude put me off? No, I love it.

They have been a second console company for me since the N64, I only tend to buy a handful of titles in a Nintendo console lifetime usually Mario Kart, Smash, Mario Party and other family multi-player titles. I'll buy the odd single player game but will never get round to playing it. We hardly use the Switch, my son took it with him to University and did not bring it back at xmas. We have not missed it at all.

I hate how archaic they are in terms of their online setup, no party chat, no proper cloud backup system etc but truthfully I don't really care that much we have been a Playstation family since the PS1 (we dabbled with the 360 for a few years). Currently PS5, PS4 Pro, PS4 Slim & PS4 Base in our house. The base is not used since the PS5 release because the kids now have the Pro but I think my son will take it back with him to university after lockdown.

Will I still buy the next Nintendo console? Probably Yes.

Cloud back up is actually now pretty good with the caveat that you have to pay their online subscription, although to be fair that is cheaper than the competition even for the family plan. My only real complaint is not being able to share the same island (in Animal Crossing) on more than one Switch at a time, hopefully they will sort that out as they are actively doing themselves out of an extra sale by not doing so. 

I do think they seem to have gone more corporate since Iwata died, that's just my outsider view rather than me looking at any facts though.

I was a lifelong Nintendo fan until they killed the Wii U - it was one of my favourite consoles, and I can't believe a company with Nintendo's experience managed to fuck up the marketing so badly. They then killed it off as a slap in the face to owners, when it probably could've run 90% of games released for the Switch. It could've been the Switch with a bit more thought.

14 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

I do think they seem to have gone more corporate since Iwata died, that's just my outsider view rather than me looking at any facts though.

I was a lifelong Nintendo fan until they killed the Wii U - it was one of my favourite consoles, and I can't believe a company with Nintendo's experience managed to fuck up the marketing so badly. They then killed it off as a slap in the face to owners, when it probably could've run 90% of games released for the Switch. It could've been the Switch with a bit more thought.

The Wii U failed at market because it was a confusing half baked design that even Nintendo themselves struggled with, no amount of marketing could change that, they could either continue flogging a dead horse or change tact, they chose the latter thankfully. To me the Switch is basically what the Wii U always should have been, a true hybrid home/portable console, but perhaps the tech wasn’t quite ready back then. 

51 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The Wii U failed at market because it was a confusing half baked design that even Nintendo themselves struggled with, no amount of marketing could change that, they could either continue flogging a dead horse or change tact, they chose the latter thankfully. To me the Switch is basically what the Wii U always should have been, a true hybrid home/portable console, but perhaps the tech wasn’t quite ready back then. 

I think the Wii U was almost a prototype Switch. It probably stimulated ideas within Nintendo and also that they had to make hard business decisions and take a risk of combining hand held and home machines into one unit.

The more I think about it I'm glad they did. It means they are still here being their whacky selves. Lets face it they bring a bit of fun into gaming and throw plenty of curveballs out there with their hardware designs. It would be a bland world without them around. What will their next piece of hardware be? 

The only thing with them is that they are slow to get games to market it at times... loved Mario Odyssey but we've not had a mainline new Mario title since that, not even a bit of DLC for MO. I know Mario 3D is coming but that was rinsed on the WiiU. Nice that its getting a re-release and all but if you've been a loyal Nintendo fan for a while not much new to play there really especially at the asking price for Switch games.

Anyway have my Wii and a nice selection of games on there that I am still enjoying. The Mario Galaxies still feel fresh today.

Yeah totally agree with that, it was basically a prototype for the Switch or at the impetus but perhaps it would have been badly timed had the Switch come out in 2012, only a year after the 3DS,  which would have caused friction between those two devices. 

I wonder when/if we’ll see another fully fledged 3D Mario, Galaxies aside they do tend to just be one per generation. With that said I imagine we’ll see another 2D Mario some time soon as Mario Maker 2 apart (which has an excellent story mode btw) there’s been nothing for some time - same with Mario Kart which I can see coming maybe this year or next year also - that team have been very quiet since ARMS after all.

1 minute ago, Marlew said:

There are two types of people in the world:

- People who can appreciate Nintendo for what they do at their best, albeit with some reservations about their conservatism. 

- Grave raping necro dogshit eating cunts. 

Ah, and there we have the one, truly off-putting aspect of Nintendo, and one they have no real control of themselves. Their fans.

3 minutes ago, Marlew said:

There are two types of people in the world:

- People who can appreciate Nintendo for what they do at their best, albeit with some reservations about their conservatism. 

- Grave raping necro dogshit eating cunts. 

Genuine laughter. I am a confirmed Nintendo fan boy. I must admit, I wish they'd come up with some original content on the Switch though, rather than "Deluxe" ports of WiiU (admittedly) classics.

4 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Ah, and there we have the one, truly off-putting aspect of Nintendo, and one they have no real control of themselves. Their fans.

I have barely touched my Switch all year aside from Missile Dancer and 51 Worldwide Belters. 

It was just a counter to the iconoclastic 'actually...Nintendo is shit, yeah?' Damn, sacred beefburgers for dinner all round. 

Enjoy your bowl of dogshit, buddy. 

2 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

They have a yearly revenue of 9 billion quid. Sony's is ten times as much. Microsofts is a hundred times as much. Unlike them, they have no other areas of revenue to draw upon, it's games or death.

Only 9 billion eh. It's not beyond Nintendo to produce family games and the expected big releases in long running franchises alongside exploring videogames as a medium themselves which for me would be more about game design and tone than the control input. Because the retort to that is always; whattt here's some new games from them! They've already established who they are and have no interest in redefining themselves. Something like Metroid doesn't fit with Nintendo's profit driven family friendly ethos, i don't think if it didn't already exist that it would emerge through the Nintendo of now. It wouldn't be put forth from the company, it clearly comes from a few ambitious driven individuals inside, inspired by Alien who were allowed to develop it. Yamauchi didn't care and his hands off approach helped. Iwata cared too much in wanting to shape Nintendo. I'll concede that perhaps without him we can't know what state Nintendo would be in now or if they would have gone the same way as Sega. But i'm a gamer, and barely that, not an accountant. I know your post is rational but people keep doing this thing where they adopt the view of the capitalist. You can do it over and over again until you end up with nothing interesting emerging through art and culture. A new F-Zero won't bankrupt them. Of course that is an established franchise but of a genre that is inactive and with space to push further. And it's not Nintendo's fault everyone else is inept. Who knows how many talented people within Nintendo are dieing to develop an interesting idea that could flourish with Nintendo's support?

13 hours ago, phresh said:

If Emuparadise were the only romsite on the net (and a quick google throws up an emuparadise.me with Nintendo games on) i'd get that. I'm just genuinely curious what emulation people are struggling to get/do on official Nintendo games.

13 hours ago, dumpster said:

You can emulate Nintendo easy enough and it's all out-there to find. But for me, Nintendo is the company that proudly announces that they got the whole emulation site taken down (like emuparadise for example) rather than just getting the Nintendo content removed. They have been so vocal in taking down emulation sites, fan game sites, even getting videos taken down off twitch and YouTube. To me, while Nintendo has every right to do this, it's likely to annoy as many people as it pleases and I feel it could be construed as bullying. 

It's the polar opposite for example of George Lucas and his protection of Star Wars.  He made his billions, the films are hugely popular, they'll come down on you like a tonne of bricks if you pirate.  But his companies released sound effects, music and CGI artwork specifically to help the community make their fan films.  It's a great attitude and surely one that spreads the message that Lucasfilm are a nice bunch of people. 

Compare Nintendo's handling of ROM hacking to the blind eye that Sega generally turn. SMW Central's Mario World fan-hacks have to be distributed as patches to be applied to ROMs that the player must acquire elsewhere.

Meanwhile, go on Sonic Retro or Hidden Palace and you can find easy download links to dozens of fan-made ROM hacks as well as every available leaked prototype version of the old Sonic games. (The fabled Sonic 1 prototype just got released on New Year's Day, and Yuji Naka - admittedly no longer a Sega employee - liked Hidden Palace's announcement tweet!)

And the files are openly hosted on those sites; it's not as if they're directing people to dubious external Mega.nz links.

Screenshot_20210114-232652.thumb.png.dda93a1ed1a3c5d0191d6ea4df2b9b79.png

Of course all this fan activity is unquestionably copyright infringement, so Nintendo's approach is justified, and Sega would be well within their rights to be equally strict. But at the moment, even though Sega continues to actively make money from periodic re-releases of those old Sonic games just as Nintendo does with old Mario games, for some reason one company turns a blind eye and the other does not.

The only prominent IP-infringing fan project that I remember Sega shutting down was Streets of Rage Remake.

13 hours ago, dumpster said:

Just to add, when AM2R came out, Nintendo filed cease and desist orders, takedowns etc and it was a shame because it was an amazing game.  

Fast forward to today and if you Google AM2R the first result gets you an instant download. So Nintendo's heavy handed approach seems to have achieved nothing

I was going to mention AM2R but you beat me to it, despite Nintendo’s efforts it’s still easy to obtain and the community are still adding to it, there’s  even a dedicated launcher.  Ive been getting massively into emulation recently and again despite Nintendo’s legal action it is very easy to build a collection.  Ive been playing on emulators such Nestopia, Snes9x, Dolphin and Cemu to name a few which have come a long way and enable features beyond vanilla versions which has helped rekindle my love for Nintendo so much so I’ve bought wii motes and GameCube controllers to enable better experiences.   Besides AM2R are there other brilliant fan made games Nintendo have shut down?

Sold my Switch over a year ago because it was collecting dust after completing Super Mario Odyssey and fatigue setting in with Zelda BOTW.  I’m now playing BOTW in Cemu which is amazing.

For the sheer joy and length of enjoyment the kids have had from Yoshi, Odyssey, MK8 and Pikmin 3 I have to say the Switch has easily met all my hopes for a new console and I don’t think we as a family would have warmed the same to either of the other options. I do think finding and playing with specific friends seems a PITA and no voice chat very irritating for my 9 year old and so he play Roblox on our Mac mostly where at least the typed chat is easy, but otherwise it’s a stellar addition to the family. 

8 hours ago, simms said:

Sold my Switch over a year ago because it was collecting dust after completing Super Mario Odyssey and fatigue setting in with Zelda BOTW.  I’m now playing BOTW in Cemu which is amazing.

Was that graphics fatigue then? I mean it’s still the same game, you just don’t legally own it anymore ^_^

I can see that as a justification for heavy handedness. Emulation for me doesn't cost anyone any sales because you're playing games you couldn't buy new anywhere (second hand shops don't generate revenue for anyone other than themselves so they don't count).  The worst aspect of emulation from the point of view of the industry is that while you're spending time playing Sega Rally you're not spending money on Dirt 5. You only have a finite time on earth and anything that stops you playing the new release they want you to buy could be construed as a problem but it's a pretty weak argument.  I've never seen any harm with emulation and anything that keeps you interested in gaming has to be beneficial.

But selling your Switch then playing a graphically better version of the same game on your PC?  No defense of that at all.  That's piracy, not emulation and Nintendo has every right to clamp down on that.

36 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I can see that as a justification for heavy handedness. Emulation for me doesn't cost anyone any sales because you're playing games you couldn't buy new anywhere (second hand shops don't generate revenue for anyone other than themselves so they don't count).  The worst aspect of emulation from the point of view of the industry is that while you're spending time playing Sega Rally you're not spending money on Dirt 5. You only have a finite time on earth and anything that stops you playing the new release they want you to buy could be construed as a problem but it's a pretty weak argument.  I've never seen any harm with emulation and anything that keeps you interested in gaming has to be beneficial.

But selling your Switch then playing a graphically better version of the same game on your PC?  No defense of that at all.  That's piracy, not emulation and Nintendo has every right to clamp down on that.

Yeah I totally see the value of emulation in terms of preserving old games that might otherwise be lost to history, also agree with the games industry’s obsession over new content as there is definitely a market for old games, people wouldn’t play them otherwise. Stuff like the Mega Man collection is a great example of this, or the recent release of the original NES Fire Emblem, not to mention Super Mario 3D All-Stars. 

Also agree with your second point. 

When everyone was in PS2/X-box Fever I was very happy with my N64 and Gamecube They still hold some hidden gems to this date! The Wii and the WiiU also has some brilliant games (at least in my opinon) Mad World, Red, Steel Zombie U are just a few titles from Wii and U that come to mind that used the machine to create something new that I feel worked nicely. 

For a company that has been trading for well over 100 years I think holding their cards close to their chest (pun intended *if you know you know*) is what has kept Nintendo in the game, they make silly risks that not many other companies will. As I mentioned in another part of this thread Nintendo for years labelled their games with a seal of Quality and with Flux of AAA titles that come out bugged up it's refreshing to see Nintendo won't push out sub par games from their own IPs (I'm not saying they are perfect I still remember the BotW glitches both hilarious and scary).

Let me put it this way - if you had to write down what Sony will do next, what MS will do next, and what Nintendo will do next - then seal those in three different envelopes for opening when the time came.....I'd be a hell of a lot more confident of what was in the MS and Sony envelopes than I would with the Nintendo one - and that's why they are great. They swing and miss sometimes for sure, but they are not afraid to take a risk and do something different. Something sometimes wildly different. The market needs that, the three of them are like the tri-force, together they bring balance.