What other comedy shows to enjoy on BBC iPlayer?

16 minutes ago, Death's Head said:

Famalam, People Just Do Nothing,  Ghosts,  Man Like Mobeen, Mandy and Enterprice have all entertained me. Oh and Detectorists!

Detectorists :wub: is one of my favourite shows of the last few years. A shame it has come to an end and I enjoyed Don't forget the Driver even more because it starred Toby Jones. Thanks for the other suggestions I have not watched any except Man like Mobeen. With regards to Ghosts @Mogster @Death's Head is it something I could enjoy with the kids? Is it family friendly like Worzel Gummidge?

3 minutes ago, gospvg said:

With regards to Ghosts @Mogster @Death's Head is it something I could enjoy with the kids? Is it family friendly like Worzel Gummidge?

Ghosts is by the same team as Horrible Histories, so it’s very family friendly.

Although the trouserless Simon Farnaby never stops being disconcerting/funny.

Also: Mandy. Good god, Mandy, a million times Mandy.

I caught an episode of The First Team on the telly when I turned my PS4 off. It wasn't all that bad really, sort of sit-sketch show about a Premiere League-esque football team. I am not big on football but there was enough regular comedy in it, although I suspect if you like football there are references. Not classic by any means but not bad either. 

People Just Do Nothing is alright for some easy laughs at the expense of the useless guys, although it's in that Ricky Gervais-style semi-mockumentary that can grate. Not particularly subtle or anything.

1 minute ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Ghosts is by the same team as Horrible Histories, so it’s very family friendly.

Although the trouserless Simon Farnaby never stops being disconcerting/funny.

Also: Mandy. Good god, Mandy, a million times Mandy.

Thanks will definetly enjoy Ghosts with the kids & Mandy is very short so can watch that in one sitting.

2 minutes ago, Vimster said:

I caught an episode of The First Team on the telly when I turned my PS4 off. It wasn't all that bad really, sort of sit-sketch show about a Premiere League-esque football team. I am not big on football but there was enough regular comedy in it, although I suspect if you like football there are references. Not classic by any means but not bad either. 

Yeah the football element got me interested, I'll watch the first episode and then decide. I really enjoy Ted Lasso on Apple TV last month.

The complete Gimme, Gimme, Gimme is on iPlayer at the moment and has aged brilliantly and awfully in equal measure.

Some incredible performances and some shockingly awful ‘edgy’ humour.

But watching Kathy Burke enjoying herself way too much and trying not corpse never, ever gets old.

15 minutes ago, gospvg said:

With regards to Ghosts @Mogster @Death's Head is it something I could enjoy with the kids? Is it family friendly like Worzel Gummidge?

It's rated 12 according to the BBFC. I'd say it's aimed at adults rather than families, but it's also not exactly graphic. One of the creators compared it to Blackadder in terms of the level they were aiming for:

Matthew Baynton recalled that BBC head of comedy commissioning Shane Allen was looking for a pre-watershed primetime sitcom for BBC One. During the writing process, the intention was to make an adult show, but one that would appeal to older children, along the lines of Blackadder: "We wanted to do something that has a properly creaky atmosphere. I love the idea that some kids might stay up for it. It's great as a kid when you think something isn't quite for you and it's a bit cheekier."[9] In the event, the programme was scheduled at 9.30 on Monday evenings after the sitcom Not Going Out. Baynton noted in the i newspaper that the original audience of Horrible Histories would now be grown up "hopefully we're making something so they can continue to watch us!"[10]

2 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

The complete Gimme, Gimme, Gimme is on iPlayer at the moment and has aged brilliantly and awfully in equal measure.

Some incredible performances and some shockingly awful ‘edgy’ humour.

But watching Kathy Burke enjoying herself way too much and trying not corpse never, ever gets old.

Kathy Burke is by far the best thing about it. She gives it 120%. 

Inside No 9

What We Do In the Shadows

Also, it's not as good as the above two, but I watched Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens a few months ago. The Grandma character is definitely the best thing about it, and her best storyline comes in the second episode ("Atlantic City") so you can tell quickly whether you like it enough to stick with it.

Had a quick scroll through the iPlayer comedy section, aside from what’s already been mentioned (Mandy):

What We Do In The Shadows (everyone’s already seen this, right?),

Harry Hill’s World of TV (lockdown TV Burp and every bit as good as that sounds),

What We Did On Our Holidays (movie version of Outnumbered but with a better cast and an even better Billy Connelly)

and Love & Friendship (one of the best costume dramas ever made, like Clueless only even better).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m000csgs/the-goes-wrong-show

The Goes Wrong Show. 

Comedy drama troop doing quite silly but very funny things with theatrics and story telling. I thought it was at a quite similar level to horrible histories but there are a few booze gags and things so probably more like teens. 100% worth checking out though. We really enjoyed it over Christmas 

I'd say Ghosts is quite family-friendly but then I don't have kids - I would have loved it as a kid though! 

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

People Just Do Nothing is alright for some easy laughs at the expense of the useless guys, although it's in that Ricky Gervais-style semi-mockumentary that can grate. Not particularly subtle or anything.

In its last series it was one of the few programmes to actually address gentrification in London (along with Stath Lets Flats). Plus Chabuddy G is one of the finest comic creations. 

People Just Do Nothing is the best thing BBC comedy have done since The Office. It’s got the same producer which probably explains it. Think you need a passing appreciation of UK Garage to get the most out of it though.

14 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

People Just Do Nothing is the best thing BBC comedy have done since The Office. It’s got the same producer which probably explains it. Think you need a passing appreciation of UK Garage to get the most out of it though.

its fantastic- I don't know anything about garage and still really enjoyed it, though there are probably gags that I missed.

I grew up in the same area where it is set so it had a hint of nostalgia for me too.

Yeah, I'm a west Londoner as well and the west London these guys live in more represents my life than, say, the Made in Chelsea dickheads. Also, I went to school with lads like these - everyone wanted to be an mc back then. I first watched it with some old school friends and that was what cracked us up most. 

Plus the music is just great. Obviously they're playing shit MCs but they are actually good, and the Valentimes episode in particular is perfect. 

Thanks all for the suggestions we finished off staged season 2 yesterday evening and will start watching ghosts today with the kids.

I’ve usually ignored BBC iPlayer and spent more time on other streaming services but over the past week I’ve come to realise I have really missed out on some great shows.

Another vote for Mandy, which seems to have passed a lot of people by. Some other suggestions:

Two Doors Down - brilliant Scottish cringecom about a married couple constantly being harassed by various awful neighbours.

So Awkward - a fun CBBC sitcom set in a secondary school about three girls who don't quite fit in. Bigger on laughs than a lot of grown-up sitcoms I've endured.

King Gary - a peculiar beast, but one which I rather like. Hard to describe - the premise is very straightforward but it's executed with slightly hyperactive, feverish tone that sets it apart.

2 hours ago, readonly said:

So Awkward - a fun CBBC sitcom set in a secondary school about three girls who don't quite fit in. Bigger on laughs than a lot of grown-up sitcoms I've endured.

If we’re including CBBC then Class Dismissed is essential.

23 hours ago, Death's Head said:

Yeah, I'm a west Londoner as well and the west London these guys live in more represents my life than, say, the Made in Chelsea dickheads. Also, I went to school with lads like these - everyone wanted to be an mc back then. I first watched it with some old school friends and that was what cracked us up most. 

Plus the music is just great. Obviously they're playing shit MCs but they are actually good, and the Valentimes episode in particular is perfect. 

Just started watching this and wow it’s great. Messaged my mate and turns out not only did he know about it (he lives in Brentford) but he used to babysit Steve Stamp who co-wrote it!