Hmm, i was happy to accept I'm just dead inside and in a phase of rejecting films instead of relishing them because everything i watch is so intolerably boring it's driving me mad, but if others also find this boring maybe there is something to it and I'm not completely gone. It was just because i fully admit i don't care about watching two big monsters fight eachother, if i did I'd watch Pacific Rim 2 immediately. It's for kids who get excited about it, i just...can't. Like there's a growth inside my head. I'm not enjoying lockdown. I want to see westminster burned to the ground, i can't find meaning in godzilla and kong having a fight. 

I watched 30 minutes of the people plot and then it reached the action with the boats and my brain shut down and i had a completely unnecessary 5 hour afternoon sleep. 

I watched the 2014 Godzilla at the cinema and never thought much of it, but i wonder if I'll appreciate its seriousness and the reverence it holds Godzilla in on a second watch. And i think if i watched Shin Godzilla I'd find it brilliant. Don't all jump in with 'it's average, don't bother'. 

If you take a subject too seriously and end up po faced it can be dull, but at least you've aimed high. If you accept the naffness and go through the motions of nonsense, that lame indifference is worse. 

52 minutes ago, Cheyenne said:

I thought Shin Godzilla was incredible. Had a double take when I saw people here poo-pooing it.

I watched the trailer for this and cant quite figure it out.... Im almost tempted...

It's the Easter holidays.  During lockdown.  The kids are bored shitless.  We bought this on Amazon Prime and cranked the volume to 11.

They walked out.

My impressionable, excitable kids walked out of this.

A giant axe wielding monkey punching a laser firing monster in the face.  And they walked out on it.

How did they fail to make this exciting?

2/5.  At least I wasn't being made to watch YouTube videos.

9 hours ago, Bucky said:

It's the Easter holidays.  During lockdown.  The kids are bored shitless.  We bought this on Amazon Prime and cranked the volume to 11.

They walked out.

My impressionable, excitable kids walked out of this.

A giant axe wielding monkey punching a laser firing monster in the face.  And they walked out on it.

How did they fail to make this exciting?

2/5.  At least I wasn't being made to watch YouTube videos.

I really didn't like it, but the last fight WAS pretty good. Did they make it that far ? 

On 08/04/2021 at 07:59, Cheyenne said:

I thought Shin Godzilla was incredible. Had a double take when I saw people here poo-pooing it.

It's fantastic. I'd never seen it but in my run up to Godzilla vs Kong I watched 14 different giant monster flicks and finally got around to watching it. Bloody brilliant film that's just an extended episode of The Thick Of It but set in Japan during a Godzilla attack. Nothing highlights this more than the whole press conference arc was executed to pure perfection. Plus the final form of Godzilla is genuinely repulsive and unleashes probably one of the more devastating attacks on a city in the whole franchise. I was shocked to see it was a marmite film but then I think people yelling "less humans, more monster smash smash" fundamentally don't understand Godzilla.

I have room in my heart for both. I get a great deal of joy from big smashy monster bash, but always appreciate a flick that can offer some commentary. Shin Godzilla really excelled in the latter for me; I know it is highly specific of Japanese bureaucracy in its portrayal, but many of those traits can be found in our government and of the governments of other places I've lived. It's a film that really 'got' how to present humans in these films. scrambling around trying to reconcile how our world works with the appearance of an otherwordly presence like the G-Man. Humour being derived from them attempting to respond in a  rational manner to this irrational situation, and despite there being a large cast of characters it doesn't drag down the runtime with details about their personal lives and family matters which are always tedious. Everything revolves around Godzilla.

Then it also delivers on a destructive setpiece that absolutely pisses all over what the recent English language films have done. If anything that's the immediate comparison I draw between Shin and Godzilla Vs Kong. I had my fun with the latter for its big goofy bollocks, but Godzilla appears and starts blasting off atomic breath like he's sneezing. In Shin it's a pivotal moment of the film, where characters stand in awe of its presence and power, and the staging adds so many levels of drama that just isn't present in GVK. It was a genuine open-mouthed moment for me.

GVK generally just didn't capture the sense of scale and presence that these characters usually carry. KOTM came closest in my estimate (the appearance of Rodan was amazing), but I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding in having the human presence able to stand alongside the Titans. In the best of these films all we're capable of doing is reacting to these forces of nature, at best hope to slow them down, but the English-language films continue to present us as 'equals' in a sense. Shin understands this and while it may have a 'positive' ending, it's implicitly stated that this is only temporary, and that humanity needs to prepare for when this will inevitably reignite.

Much as I enjoyed Shin Godzilla, it was nearly sunk by the hilariously goofy first form (those googly-eyes!), an excessively large cast and last but not least, Satomi Ishihara speaking her dialogue so badly (both languages) that my wife was convinced that Ishihara wasn't actually a native Japanese speaker (she is). I get that they wanted to have a hot young actress in the film, but by god she was fucking terrible. Also her acting was pretty bad too, but meh.

I’ve read that Shin Godzilla is basically the malevolent bureaucracy from Evangelion, but with Godzilla instead of Angels. Is that about right? The Blu-Ray never drops under my £5 impulse purchase line but if it has bureaucracy...

18 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

I've only ever watched the Showa era Godzilla movies. I don't suppose it matters if I skip the Heisei and Millenium eras for now to watch Shin?

It's entirely it's own self-contained thing and you should watch it because it's bloody ace.

Kong should count himself lucky he didn't have to fight that version of Godzilla.

I see Shin is available to rent from Apple, but I’m not sure it’s got the original language. It only seems to mention English and the clip available is in English. 

14 minutes ago, Harsin said:

It's entirely it's own self-contained thing and you should watch it because it's bloody ace.

Kong should count himself lucky he didn't have to fight that version of Godzilla.

Thanks, I've ordered the blu-ray. It's only 8 quid.

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I see Shin is available to rent from Apple, but I’m not sure it’s got the original language. It only seems to mention English and the clip available is in English. 

There are reviews on Amazon complaining that the digital version is dubbed only, so it might be the same for the version on Apple.

I love Shin Godzilla. I'd describe it as a political satire about large-scale disaster management, where the disaster happens to be a (weird) Godzilla. It's not exactly like an Armando Iannucci film, but that would be a basic comparison.

It was a very successful film in Japan - not so much because of Godzilla hype, but because of how much it resonated with the 2013 earthquake/tsunami/nuclear disaster.

My biggest complaint about Shin Godzilla is that it's very tiring to watch with all the subtitles. I usually prefer to watch foreign films in their native language with subtitles, but this one is exhausing. I wouldn't be surprised if someone had a bad viewing experience if they tried to watch the blu-ray. It's a very fast-paced "walking and talking" film with lots of characters saying political and bureaucratic things very quickly.

But the real issue is that there's a satirical gag with subtitles: the film puts captions on everything. Every single time a new character talks, the film shows their name and job title. Every time a tank or helicopter is shown, a caption gives its name and model number. This is done on purpose to overload you with unnecessary information, to simulate the bureaucratic red tape that the characters are struggling through. (It's also funny when you realise that Yaguchi's job title is getting longer and longer througout the film).

If you watch the Japanese language version with subtitles, you're hit with 1) Dialogue subtitles, 2) Burned-in Japanese pop up captions and 3) English translations of those captions. The blu-ray subtitles turn this into a constant barrage of text all over the screen. It's exhausing to watch. So... my preferred way of watching is with a much tidier .ASS subtitle file I found on the internet, which I further tweaked to my liking, played over a blu-ray rip of the the English-language version - which has a clean picture without the burned-in Japanese captions - but with the audio replaced with Japanese. Following me?

Also: Godzilla vs Kong was good fun. Absoutely light shallow nonsense, but good fun.

7 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

If you watch the Japanese language version with subtitles, you're hit with 1) Dialogue subtitles, 2) Burned-in Japanese pop up captions and 3) English translations of those captions. The blu-ray subtitles turn this into a constant barrage of text all over the screen. It's exhausing to watch. So... my preferred way of watching is with a much tidier .ASS subtitle file I found on the internet, which I further tweaked to my liking, played over a blu-ray rip of the the English-language version - which has a clean picture without the burned-in Japanese captions - but with the audio replaced with Japanese. Following me?

Would really appreciate it if you could upload that .ass somewhere.

Spoiler

2869377e53ebd08a7e63d25ee531be38.gif

14 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

The iTunes version of Shin is dubbed only, I can confirm. I excitedly bought it when it dropped to a gimme price.

Amazon Prime is dubbed only as well :( 

On 05/04/2021 at 12:13, Padaxes said:

I must have missed that for sure, but conversly there are also (brief) shots of people on the ground screaming under foot during the fight.

Yes you have to take the whole thing with a pinch of salt regarding the physics of giant monsters. 

This doesnt bother me, BUT is something I cant help be conscious of for pretty much every scene featuring a giant....thing (monster or otherwise).

If I swing my arm you have the fist about a metre away from the pivot point, and speed of travel would be related to that. But if your arm is half a mile long, there's no way you'd be able to 'swing' it at the same speed to look comparable to human fighting scaled up. Everything should look like fighting in slow-motion.....but that'd be shit in a movie, so physics necessarily have to go out the window. You can maybe get away with it with stuff that is intentionally designed to look really slow and lumbering (I feel like Evangelion was probably good about this).

Anyway, wasnt expecting much hype about this film but the reception has gotten my interest, will give it a watch.

Kinda curious about Shin Godzilla now too!