Are you satisfied with your next-generation console?

Marlew

Are you satisfied with your next-gen console?   

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’ve got a series S too and like Timmo says, the loading times make it so much more pleasurable to use. Coming from a launch Xbox One it’s definitely an upgrade. I would have liked a series X but without a 4K telly it seemed pointless. 

Can't really answer, because for me it's "Yes, primarily because I love playing my last-gen games with better loading times and performance". Which I guess is somewhat close in spirit to number 3, except I've played a lot of last-gen games.

I'll let you know once I've given it a go! 

I'm liking the (finally!) real obsession around right now with performance and framerates that is long overdue. I always found Japanese developers of old would really optimise their games (from Ridge Racer on the PS1 onwards) but with Western development taking over, that took a backseat. To me it finally feels that 28fps or 54fps just won't cut it anymore for a larger portion of the gaming community, and that's great. Cyberpunks woes seem to be the final big swell in this regard, quite extraordinary. 

I  wonder how long it will last thought, once they start pushing the new hardware will shitty variable janky framerates be acceptable again, all for better graphical fidelity at 8K. I'm always firmly in the "framerate take priority" camp over "better graphics". I can see the difference with framerates easily and it harms the experience, but the graphical fidelity thing, only when you zoom in x10 times and pause the game and stress over a missing piece of grass or tree, can you maybe see how worthless that obsession is. Hopefully more games will continue the performance mode/graphics mode options, although I really don't want to experience any more unlocked framerate bullshit, lock it down to something please.

From what I've seen the PS5's front end is silky smooth, but again wonder how long that will last before they fuck it? I thought the PS4 Pro was pretty good when I got it, now its clunky, slow and like navigating through mud.

1 minute ago, englishbob said:

From what I've seen the PS5's front end is silky smooth, but again wonder how long that will last before they fuck it?

Believe me, though it may be flashy and smooth, the new UI is by far the worst thing about it. Looking good isn't all that great a substitute for continuing to be able to sort your games/have folders/have a usable storefront/switch HDR off on a per-game rather than system-wide basis/have voice text entry as an option.

I’ve got a Series X so far and I’m more than happy with it. Even though the proper next gen games are yet to come, and they will, between the amazing backwards compatibility, the optimised for Series console titles and Cybepunk it feels like a huge leap forward over the One X. It’s reignited my passion for gaming and I can’t really ask for more than that.

48 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I got a Series S, with the plan to get a PS5 digital later this year, and it's fucking amazing. Boots up in about 2 seconds, and games take the same to load. 60fps, almost instant loading, ridiculously small, backwards compatibility. Everything I've wanted from a console for years.

Came in to post exactly this. Assetto Corsa is actually playable on the SS, so now I have a portable sim rig.

Happy with my Series X. I got rid of all my old consoles back in January last year and just had my ageing PC. 

It feels like a decent upgrade for less than what an upgrade to my PC would have cost and then subbed to GamePass  for a while. 

Really enjoying playing games on it. I know the extra power won't be fully utilised yet but having speedy loading times and faster framerates is a huge bonus. 

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

I’ve got a series S too and like Timmo says, the loading times make it so much more pleasurable to use. Coming from a launch Xbox One it’s definitely an upgrade. I would have liked a series X but without a 4K telly it seemed pointless. 

I skipped last gen essentially, so I'm reading old threads of games like Dishonored 2, wondering why everyone is complaining about the load times. One second load times and instant resume really make a difference.

PS5 mostly yes because I’ve had some next gen games and, having always been an early adopter, am used to the slow trickle release of new games at the start of the life cycle.

Xbox Series X not so much because I haven’t had any next gen games on it. I don’t count optimised for series x stuff (which is cool, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not like getting a brand new halo or something)

PS5 is fantastic, AstroBot was a delight, Demon’s Souls and Miles Morales RT60 are a brilliant introduction to the next gen, WRC9 is amazing with the DualShock, controls beautifully and is generally just a fantastic Rally game.

In addition Ghost Of Tsushima has blown me away having never played it on PS4 and I’ve also got God Of War to look forward to (among others from PS Collection). Also enjoying Hitman 1 Legacy which looks great and is very smooth, having never given it time since it came out on PS Plus but the H3 hype got me into it and H3 is now a future purchase.

Best start to a generation for me.

Biggest annoying gripe for me regarding next gen is that PS5 doesn't have BBCIplayer yet. I've been forced to keep my PS4 hooked up, which is now essentially the 'bbciplayer machine'. Infuriating, even made a video about it. 

The series x has completely reinvigorated my love for games. I HATED my xbox one after a while. Thanks to gamepass the idea that 'xbox has no games' is fucking absurd tbh. I can always have a whole platter of games on the go to switch between pretty much at will. It's amazing. 

It’s a resounding.......YES!!! Completely satisfied with the PS5. Owned most consoles since the PSone (Amiga, Master System, C-16 before that) with the exception of the PS3 (as I chose to just go with 360 and Wii). Had Dreamcast, GC, 360, DS, 3DS etc all on launch and everything else outside of PS4 close to launch.

Without a doubt the PS5 has been the best launch of any console I’ve ever owned. Astro Bot, Demon’s Souls, Spider-Man Remastered, Miles Morales, WRC9, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla amongst others, plus some free upgrades, plus the free 20 games in the PSPlus collection........all day one at launch (not to mention all the stuff on PS Now)! That’s crackers!

Not only that but the backwards compatibility is absolutely phenomenal! Pretty much every single PS4 game I’ve gone back to, looks and plays miles better than on PS4. And the PS4 has that many amazing games available for it, I still have stuff like Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, amongst a host of others still to play/finish. 

The hardware itself is incredible. The games are graphically and aurally stunning, especially for launch games. Demon’s Souls in particular is absolutely nuts! No idea how good stuff is going to look in a few years!. The controller is fantastic, the haptics really do make a difference along with the speaker, mic, gyro controls, touchpad etc. The build quality of it all is great too. Its been on for 12hrs at a time most days and it’s been flawless. Runs nice and quiet.

Only minus I can come up with is the PS Store is pretty shit on the console itself.  Unbelievable that they can have a sale on and you can’t even access it easily, as it’s not even advertised/selectable on the store half the time! It’s like they don’t want you to buy any games! 

So yeah, I’d already say it’s the best console I’ve ever owned. Looks like it’s got a HUGE first year already lined up too. Bring it on!

My Series X was worth every fucking penny. It's astonishing how much small shit like consistent frame rates and loading times can make a difference, despite me thinking it wouldn't matter. You could argue £450 is a lot of money for an incremental upgrade but the increment is huge for me. I temporarily went back to my One S because I was too lazy to plug in my One X to play some Fallout 76 (shut up, I know) away from whatever hell my OH was watching and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me that looks and runs rough as fuck on the base Xbox One.

The S/X upgrades for games I play are incredibly welcome. Destiny at 60 frames really is all the PC players have been saying it'd be.

From the outside paying that much for faster load times and some shinies without any real new games seems bonkers. Fuck it. Don't care. It's making my primary hobby more enjoyable and that's worth the price of entry.

Super happy with my Series S and Game Pass. I actually bundle the two things together, as it's not just the hardware but the way that Game Pass provides a "Netflix-like" experience.

Personal view on hardware is that 4k60 with ray tracing is the target for this generation, but I've not seen evidence so far to suggest that XSX or PS5 are built to support that across the board. I'm thinking of waiting until XSXv2 or PS5+ to get a high-end console.

Yeah, I've been enjoying my Series X. The hardware seems rock solid and quiet as a mouse. It feels like a premium piece of kit. I'm not overly worried about the games because they will come and I've got Gamepass until 2024 so theres plenty to keep me going. 

Things I like about my X:

It's silent

It's very quick

It plays games as well as my PC does, but it's more convenient to play them on the X

Game Pass

Backwards Compatibility

The Share button

The controller

Things I don't like so much:

The dashboard - can't get on with it.

Quick Resume is still hit and miss

No killer app, not yet, anyway

It doesn't have Demon Souls

The question is, how do you feel about your next gen consoles, @Marlew?