Tales of Dunk & Egg - Game of Thrones spin-off

22 hours ago, FishyFish said:

Every time I ever hear the name of this series, my mind jumps straight to some imaginary stop-motion kid’s show about a bread soldier and his best friend, a soft boiled egg.

Like a breakfast-themed Trapdoor or something.

This will probably a better premise than the actual Dunk and Egg.  Wish someone would invest in bringing some of Joe Abercrombie's books to the screen. 

4 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

This will probably a better premise than the actual Dunk and Egg.  Wish someone would invest in bringing some of Joe Abercrombie's books to the screen. 

Where do I send the money.

It's been doing me and the better halfs head in, that all we see getting made is lords of the rings this Wheel of time that, GOT spin off number 4...

You just make The First Law Trilogy as a few seasons, then the stand alone books as the next few.  Leading into the new Trilogy. 

Oh and while your at it Robin Hobb has written an entire world that would make fantastic TV.

All of her books.   

1 minute ago, cassidy said:

It's been doing me and the better halfs head in, that all we see getting made is lords of the rings this Wheel of time that, GOT spin off number 4...

You just make The First Law Trilogy as a few seasons, then the stand alone books as the next few.  Leading into the new Trilogy. 

Oh and while your at it Robin Hobb has written an entire world that would make fantastic TV.

All of her books.   

They fucked up shannara to such an extent that I’m a bit wary of any adaptations from fantasy stuff now.

6 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

They fucked up shannara to such an extent that I’m a bit wary of any adaptations from fantasy stuff now.

Yeah but it was CW and tiny budget. 

Amazon or Netflix or HBO could do what I said very very well if they spend the money. 

Does GOT and it's extended universe even have enough good will saved up anymore for anyone to give a fuck?

A dire finale in one hand upsetting the show fans and an author who can't be arsed finishing his series off in the other.

I've never felt my love of a series in both formats hit rock bottom so quick as I did with GOT.

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

All of her books.   

The First Law Trilogy would potentially be great. Always imagined a bald Timothy Dalton as Bayaz for some reason. Although the standalone books would work well.

His half a king series would potentially be great too. But I suppose there are a near infinite amount of books potentially great for TV but that's meaningless until the correct writers/producers/companies can align. Sometimes it's best left as a book where the perfect version of the story can exist in your own head.

While Dunk and Egg Tales is a crap name, they are excellent short stories. At least, the few we have because - ha ha! Of course they aren't finished. 

I didn't enjoy The First Law trilogy as much as many here. I found it too cynical, which surprised me. There needs to be a bit more light with the darkness. I am enjoying the Age of Madness a lot more, but it's more predictable. 

I think Mistborn would make an excellent TV Show, though Sanders on says he sees it as movie. 

3 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

The First Law Trilogy would potentially be great. Always imagined a bald Timothy Dalton as Bayaz for some reason. 

Ha! I never would have expected his name for Bayaz. He would probably be pretty good. But I I picture someone with a more formidable build...now I come to think of it, I kind of picture Brain Blessed which is probably even stranger casting!

5 hours ago, Delargey said:

Ha! I never would have expected his name for Bayaz. He would probably be pretty good. But I I picture someone with a more formidable build...now I come to think of it, I kind of picture Brain Blessed which is probably even stranger casting!

Bald Rob de niro if he was younger. Although thinking a bit I could see Tom Hardy doing that well too.

Anthony Hopkins for Glokta without a doubt.

So much of the First Law is inside Glotka’s head - Abercrombie is all about the viewpoint of the characters, which is why they’re so well observed and distinctive. From the outside, everyone is pretty much just as they seem or play: Glotka is an unredeemable evil cripple, Logan is a psychopath, Sabine is Priti Patel crossed with Ivanka Trump etc.

The Heroes or Best Served Cold might work.

9 hours ago, Delargey said:

Isn't Bayaz slightly underwhelming in the flesh? Air of command but not necessarily physically imposing or impressive. Brian Blessed has never been underwhelming in any sense. 

I imagined Brian Glover as Bayaz.

I would love to see a First Law TV series, but I suspect the superficial similarities to Game of Thrones would put people off spending the tens/hundreds of millions of pounds you’d need to do it justice. The northern factions and characters in particular do feel a bit like their equivalents in GoT, although they’re clearly their own thing too and if nothing else come across as more authentic given that Joe Abercrombie is actually from the north of England. The swearing in particular in the First Law is well-done, as opposed to the sometimes awkward blend of US and UK profanity you’d get in GoT.

But that said, I think it’s probably too close to GoT for anyone to make it in the near future. If Netflix or whoever were going to spend £££ to make a fantasy series, I imagine they’d go for something a bit different given that there’s a Wheel of Time series also in production

5 minutes ago, kensei said:

Isn't Bayaz slightly underwhelming in the flesh? Air of command but not necessarily physically imposing or impressive. Brian Blessed has never been underwhelming in any sense. 

I haven’t read it in years, but I remember Bayaz’s introduction being a case of mistaken identity, where Logan sees a white-bearded Gandalf-type and assumes its Bayaz, when in fact he’s the burly bald man standing behind him, who he’d assumed was a butcher or a blacksmith. I pictured him as being pretty beefy. 

31 minutes ago, kensei said:

I think he's unassuming in that he just wears regular practical workmans clothes rather wizardry robes.

Edit- Brain Glover would be a great shout for Bayaz.