It's a Sin New Russell T Davies drama

Not really fussed about RTD in general but we thought the first episode was great and ended up watching the second straight after. Expecting to have finished it all by the end of today :lol:

I'm really mixed on RTD's writing if I'm honest and I don't even watch Dr Who. Queer As Folk was incredibly impactful for me growing up as a gay teenager but I rewatched it again recently and some of the writing makes me cringe. 

Cucumber was awful while Years and Years had maybe two good episodes. He has a penchant for long, verbose soliloquys, self-indulgent flights of fancy and turning characters into mouthpieces that really annoy me even if I can admire parts of his writing and his ambition.

I will check this out though. At the very least his work is usually interesting and he tackles stuff a lot of other shows simply won't.

2 minutes ago, spork said:

Not really fussed about RTD in general but we thought the first episode was great and ended up watching the second straight after. Expecting to have finished it all by the end of today :lol:

Oh is it all on All4. That's tonights viewing sorted then. 

3 minutes ago, Majora said:

I'm really mixed on RTD's writing if I'm honest and I don't even watch Dr Who. Queer As Folk was incredibly impactful for me growing up as a gay teenager but I rewatched it again recently and some of the writing makes me cringe. 

Cucumber was awful while Years and Years had maybe two good episodes. He has a penchant for long, verbose soliloquys, self-indulgent flights of fancy and turning characters into mouthpieces that really annoy me even if I can admire parts of his writing and his ambition.

I will check this out though. At the very least his work is usually interesting and he tackles stuff a lot of other shows simply won't.

Opinions isn't it, but appreciate the honesty in your reply. Even if we don't agree about his writing. 

The first episode was actually great. Quite low-key and lots of character building but you can already feel how devastating things are going to get by the end. Bits of it were already hard to watch. 

That montage was hilarious though, feel bad for any young guys watching that with their mum at home :lol:

Yes I’ve seen a couple of these, it’s decent, but also I agree with @Majora, the problem with RTD’s writing is it stumbles into stylised hectoring as often as it’s fresh and emotional.

I watched Queer As Folk for the first time this summer, I can see that it’s dated now (and has the same problems I mentioned above) but for its time must have been a real standout show.

It's nearly impossible to overstate how groundbreaking Queer As Folk was at the time and how many feathers it ruffled. Just having a TV show showing a group of gay men living their life, having sex etc was pretty much unprecedented. People were so confused by it that it got held to ridiculous standards, like asking why the sex scenes didn't show the characters put on a condom. People were so conditioned to see homosexuality only present on TV to highlight 'issues' that they struggled to get that there was no explicit safe sex message in it, for example, and that it was never the show's intention.

Channel 4 are airing this at 9pm right? So that sex montage would have aired around 9:30pm on a mainstream TV channel. Amazing how far things have come. I think Queer As Folk first aired at 10:45pm or so after Channel 4 initially intended for it to go out much earlier and then got cold feet.

I think I was 18 or 19 when QAF aired and from the first episode it was one of those shows everyone was talking about and almost obsessed with. It felt totally new and fresh. 

It's A Sin was really good. A bit too heavy on the nostalgia maybe but the cast, the music, the period details all worked well. 

I gave it a try, but the writing is truly awful. Everything just felt really heavy handed and contrived. Me and my wife watched the first episode of the new Danish drama The Investigation straight afterwards, and the difference was night and day in terms of writing and direction. It saddens me how poor we are now in this country at producing TV Dramas. 

Well we finished it all yesterday and the entire house was in tears by the end. 

It hit a bit close to home as well with one of my closest friends being in floods of tears and stating the most he's ever cried watching anything. 

Then another really close friend who was in London in 81, but he was closeted and not promiscuous at that point in his life.  It also really upset him. 

So I've had some long phone calls this weekend talking to them both. 

Maybe saved his life and he's Welsh and said "yes I was Colin"

I thought the cast and script was excellent throughout. 

I can’t wait to start this. Cucumber was decent with some highlights; Years and Years was great with some lowlights and; A Very English Scandal was fantastic. 

Logically speaking, this should be the best tv show of all time. :D

Watched the first 3 so far and enjoying it. Some powerful moments where there is little to no dialogue and no music which really had some punch to them and felt like they conveyed genuine tension instead of that...pause for the count of five... crap on a lot of other shows.

The saddest part was that this is all well within my lifetime (I was about 10 or 12 when the AIDS monolith advert came out) and looking back at the prevailing attitudes from the establishment and people in general is still painful to see.

I finished episode 3 last night. For a show where characters keep dying the most upsetting moments are often the ones of nonchalant indifference. For example

Spoiler

The guy getting fired from his job at the tailors which makes you want to scream at the TV at the oh so polite cruelty of it all.

Brilliantly written, brilliantly performed. Every actor is perfectly cast - even the small roles are right on the money. OK, so Manchester doesn't do a terrific job of doubling for London, but that's OK.

The direction is exactly right, too. There's a sequence in a corridor in the final episode which is so perfectly realised it should win an award for that section alone. The final episode is really something, all around - there's so much about it which leaves you thinking, "I don't know what to think". You find yourself simultaneously feeling real sympathy and anger towards some of the characters. It puts the ephemeral nature of so many TV characters to shame.

I'm going to say it's the best thing Russell has ever done. And considering the heft of that man's previous work, that's saying something.

I thought episode 4 was a bit rubbish in places, particularly all the protest stuff which bordered on pure cheese the way it all played out, but still looking forward to inevitably crying my eyes out in episode 5.

Yes, as mentioned earlier this is really all over the place in terms of quality. Even the final episode is very much paper thin in terms of depth of character with the mother I thought, but it’s a powerful bit of telly regardless, and the acting is top notch.

1 hour ago, Majora said:

I thought episode 4 was a bit rubbish in places, particularly all the protest stuff which bordered on pure cheese the way it all played out, but still looking forward to inevitably crying my eyes out in episode 5.

There were a few scenes that looked really cheap I thought. It seemed like everything happened in that one street they lived on. They must have spent their budget licensing all the great music. 

I must be made of stone because I didn't shed at a tear at the final episode and I usually cry at anything. The series became more and more Russell T Daviesy as it went on which isn't a compliment for me. Lots of grand theatrical monologues that stop the emotion feeling authentic. It's less about real people and more about actors acting as the camera slowly zooms in on their face as they relay a neverending speech written to unsubtly state RTDs opinion on certain things. The exact same thing that plagued Years and Years actually.

I also felt like Jill's actor just couldn't quite carry the role. She was great in the more light-hearted scenes but any time she was given a scene more emotionally demanding she turned to wood. Watching her attempt to cry was particularly difficult. And she's one of the two main characters so I found it a problem.

Glad I watched it but thought the first three episodes were significantly better than the last two.