Jump to content

Edge #355 | Look Forward


Recommended Posts

my subscribers edition arrived Saturday morning,  a nice surprise with it coming so early. However i wish they would get rid of the paper envelopes, came through the door and the envelope was wet and ripped, thankfully no damage to the mag, but this is the 2nd time this has happened since it changed

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty underwhelming issue TBH, compared to the feel good issue from last year. Some really grimy looking pages, and poor screenshot selection - the BOTW2 page is terrible, it's almost pitch black. Also, most of the write-ups I've read are, well, a bit uninspiring. Good selection of games and studios, but it's all a bit flat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The new issue has appeared in the app now, but it wants me to buy it! I already paid for a subscription!

 

I must say, I didn’t know that the digital sub was second class compared to the print sub, and that one was released to subscribers before the other - and to be honest that’s not a big problem, albeit annoying - but to subscribe and not get the magazine: that is a big problem!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Popo said:

The new issue has appeared in the app now, but it wants me to buy it! I already paid for a subscription!

 

I must say, I didn’t know that the digital sub was second class compared to the print sub, and that one was released to subscribers before the other - and to be honest that’s not a big problem, albeit annoying - but to subscribe and not get the magazine: that is a big problem!

Yeah same for me! It looks like the March issue so we should have it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm ok with them doing this once a year but it does feel lazy of them. Almost like they couldn't be bothered to write a proper magazine. The article subjects in this could have made a good issue but every article is barely more than a few paragraphs. 

 

I think they've done it because of the success the last time they did it. It would have worked better if they picked half as many things and wrote twice as much (and had more than one image for each thing). It feels like an months worth of a newspaper games section from the 90s. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite like it. It's not like there would've been much to review this month anyway - even Hitman 3 would surely have arrived too late. It feels like a good time to stop and take stock of what's coming and how various trends are developing, especially since so much was crammed into the end of last year. It feels lightweight compared to other issues, because of the brevity of the articles, but with that it can provide a general overview that you wouldn't normally get.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw this in Smith's today and had a read through it. I'm a lapsed reader but sometimes I'll buy an Edge if there's a good feature or content but this was absolutely dire. It read like it had been thrown together in a few days (perhaps it had). To call it surface detail would be an insult to varnish.

 

One post by @Jamie John or most other considered contributors here had more passion and insight than this entire issue. £6.20 too!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

I just saw this in Smith's today and had a read through it. I'm a lapsed reader but sometimes I'll buy an Edge if there's a good feature or content but this was absolutely dire. It read like it had been thrown together in a few days (perhaps it had). To call it surface detail would be an insult to varnish.

 

One post by @Jamie John or most other considered contributors here had more passion and insight than this entire issue. £6.20 too!

 

They don't need me to defend them but it was produced by a skeleton staff. It's tough out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/01/2021 at 23:39, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah I think the change of editor during a pandemic was a bit sudden for them.

 

I doubt it had anything to do with being “lazy” ffs.

 

It's certainly not laziness but they're not the only magazine with a significant member of staff that has left in the past 10 months. It's not like people don't give notice. On my magazine we've hired staff during this time who we have never been in the same room with. And magazines are planned out months in advance. Teams on monthlies don't sit around 2 weeks before the print deadline and say "What shall we put in this issue?"

This was clearly an extreme month for them but people are still changing jobs right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

 

It's certainly not laziness but they're not the only magazine with a significant member of staff that has left in the past 10 months. It's not like people don't give notice. On my magazine we've hired staff during this time who we have never been in the same room with. And magazines are planned out months in advance. Teams on monthlies don't sit around 2 weeks before the print deadline and say "What shall we put in this issue?"

This was clearly an extreme month for them but people are still changing jobs right now.

Was one of the changes the editor though?

 

Anyway I don’t really know what happened behind the scenes so I can’t really comment. All I know is that it feels like a minor miracle that any issue of a physical magazine comes out these days. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Was one of the changes the editor though?

 

Anyway I don’t really know what happened behind the scenes so I can’t really comment. All I know is that it feels like a minor miracle that any issue of a physical magazine comes out these days. 

 

No, but pretty close. I also can't comment on the specifics for Edge but if you have an editor leave and you can't get someone in straight away for whatever reason there is (should) always someone on staff who can take over for at least a few months while you find a replacement.

Future is not the best organised publisher though so circumstances are different.

 

It's weird for magazines right now. I work on a weekly and we've all been working from home since early March with no problems. We had test days a few weeks before when it seemed inevitable we'd be working from home on a long term basis. Subscriptions are going through the roof and newsstand sales have plummeted across all publishing sectors. If you have a loyal readership (I think this applies to Edge) the pandemic may have seen your circulation go up. My main employer made more money in 2020 than in 2019 because of subscriptions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my subscriber copy at the end of January, wasn’t expecting it to be honest, and was amused to see it was the “March” issue. I only read it this week and wasn’t aware of editor or staff changes. I quite like the issue, it’s not exactly like the ‘feel better’ issue, but is in the same vein. Nothing wrong with a bit of variety.

 

I’ve been with Edge since Issue 1 (which i still have)’ subscriber for god knows how,long, 200 issues plus?, and the feel better was my favourite Edge ever, it caught the mood at a very different time and genuinely was ‘feel good’. I think it has aged remarkably well, albeit just a year later, and is a great issue to flick through.

 

what have been the personnel changes?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a nice issue. Sure, the write-ups are brief but it's a good selection of games, including some I didn't even know about. Some games mentioned probably won't make it into 2021 (Breath of the Wild 2 would be a real surprise), but the timeloop trio of Returnal, 12 Minutes and Deathloop looks fantastic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And one of which Dreams, which should surprise nobody with its 10, frankly. A fascinating toybox/construction kit, with astonishing capability and friendliness.

 

(I do like the attempted insinuation of corruption going on in that post, suggesting that Jen Simpkins, editor for all of six months, was involved in some shady dealings which presumably nabbed Media Molecule undeserved praise, all in some nefarious effort to get herself a job with them, I guess? The ultimate retroactive long-game)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The ten for LittleBigPlanet was in 2008, so it was one hell of a scam and she deserves all credit for successfully pulling off a con that commenced several years before she started working for Edge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, K said:

The ten for LittleBigPlanet was in 2008, so it was one hell of a scam and she deserves all credit for successfully pulling off a con that commenced several years before she started working for Edge. 

 

It's about ethics in games journalism.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Wiper said:

(I do like the attempted insinuation of corruption going on in that post, suggesting that Jen Simpkins, editor for all of six months, was involved in some shady dealings which presumably nabbed Media Molecule undeserved praise, all in some nefarious effort to get herself a job with them, I guess? The ultimate retroactive long-game)

What a convoluted and bizarre strawman to make out of my one sentence post. Maybe put that active imagination to better use in the undisputed GOTY 2020, Media Molecule's 'Dreams'.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2021 at 15:59, PyramidFace said:

What a convoluted and bizarre strawman to make out of my one sentence post. Maybe put that active imagination to better use in the undisputed GOTY 2020, Media Molecule's 'Dreams'.


I thought you were insinuating it too, I’m afraid. Mainly because I read the words you wrote.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.