IGNORED

Diablo 2 Remake? Vicarious Visions

Ran

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-01-23-vicarious-visions-reportedly-working-on-a-diablo-2-remake-at-blizzard

Sounds very much like this is going to be a thing. I am always up for more Diablo and the second game is a true classic. It sounds like the Diablo 4 team were involved initially in the article (which from what we've seen has more of a 2 vibe about it aesthetically).

The Warcraft 3 remaster wasn't well received though so Activision/Blizzard don't have great form in this area meaning some caution is advised in the excitement stakes. As for the developer they were responsible for the recent Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy and the well received Tony Hawks 1+2 remasters (I am only quoting the article here!) so reasons to be optimistic there.

I hope it's a full 3d remake rather than some kind of upscale/retouching of sprites and backgrounds. I'd be happy for them to leave all the underlying systems alone but won't be automatically reaching for a pitchfork if its been (shudder) "modernised".

After W3 Reforged and Diablo Immortal I'll always be a bit wary of things like this, but D2 still has satisfying hack 'n' slash gameplay. If they just clean it up for modern displays and have some decent multiplayer options (is Battle.net still a thing? Is it any good at organising groups of players for co-op shenanigans?) then I wouldn't ask for much more...

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, deerokus said:

I'm unbelievably pissed off they didn't let them do another Tony Hawk instead of this. 

Yeah, that's mostly how I feel about it too. It's more palpable than ever that the company is now way more Activision than Blizzard. Successful and talented studio releases fan favourite game with everyone hoping for a sequel - instead said studio gets absorbed into the big machine to churn out a remake that probably stacked up better in terms of short term expected profits when they ran the numbers. It's sad.

Hopefully this will turn out better than the WC3 remake shambles at least.

It looks great! Good interview here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-19-the-big-diablo-2-resurrected-interview

One thing that's cool and is important to the game feel is that even though the visuals are fully 3D, the game mechanics are still using grids and sprites, so there's no worries about hit boxes or anything like that.

I only played through Diablo 2 once as a necromancer and loved it, with my massive skelly army. This could definitely tempt me back if the price is right. Also I feel like I'm definitely up for some co-op this time around, did the original have difficulty scaling for more players? 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah, that's mostly how I feel about it too. It's more palpable than ever that the company is now way more Activision than Blizzard. Successful and talented studio releases fan favourite game with everyone hoping for a sequel - instead said studio gets absorbed into the big machine to churn out a remake that probably stacked up better in terms of short term expected profits when they ran the numbers. It's sad.

Hopefully this will turn out better than the WC3 remake shambles at least.

Having said all this, I'm still day one if it's as good as the original, I love the idea of being able to play it on a console. The feelings, they are mixed :)

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

This is being made by Vicarious Visions while Blizzard work on Diablo 4, which they announced a year or two ago.

This doesn't change the fact that they're an awful company that underpay their workers to the extent that they skip meals to make ends meet and do things like ban players from the Overwatch League for supporting the HK protests.

6 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

This is being made by Vicarious Visions while Blizzard work on Diablo 4, which they announced a year or two ago.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. ActiBlizzion doing an EA on VV, absorbing them into the Blizzmonster instead of letting them continue with Tony Hawk after the incredible reception

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yes, that's what I was talking about. ActiBlizzion doing an EA on VV, absorbing them into the Blizzmonster instead of letting them continue with Tony Hawk after the incredible reception

Ah, ok. I thought you meant Diablo 4 when you mentioned the sequel.

Looking forward to trying this!
You can sign up for alpha access here - https://diablo2.blizzard.com/en-gb/

I don't much like it in these games where you have to get hit and soak up damage and fights are a level/gear check all the time, I like playing as a glass cannon ranged character to keep things interesting and I like it when you can survive with a bit of skill and dodge stuff to a certain degree.

Do you think I'll like this one? It looks fun, but it looks a bit slower and more deliberate than some of the modern games in the genre I've played. I can totally get into that though.

I only really got into these games with diablo 3 so I haven't played this one.

I'm sometimes too tired to shmup, so it's nice winding down of an evening with something like this, isn't it?

Wolcen is the last game I really enjoyed. Lots of people didn't like it. I think I got lucky with the class and build I played. It wasn't too buggy and the combat was really good fun!

I haven't watched this yet, but it might be interesting.

Just watching this now, at 27:22 "You can still play it online or offline"

Oh, shit! I wasn't expecting that!

• 5 months later...

Likewise, I've had a good time with the demo - the interpolation of animation from the original makes the game feel really smooth to play on a controller, and I love the aesthetic. It's like playing the 90s CG from the original in real time.

Niggling issues - some aspects of the UI is fairly clunky (holding buttons to sell, really?), And some of the character building just feels like old hat (distributing stats, mainly).

Actual deal-breaker: Actiblizzard is rotten to the fucking core, so they can fuck off.

8 hours ago, Jackson said:

I didn't get past the battle.net sign in. Can't believe you still need to do that in 2021.

Maybe I’m too late, today is the last day? Won’t let me in even though my Xbox account is linked to my Battlenet account.

Perhaps I’m not missing much anyway?!

I couldn't get into this at all, I used to really like it but found it very hard to go back from the streamlined D3. One of the most appealing things to me about modern Diablo is that it plays almost like a twin stick shooter so it's great to hop on for a blast each season then put it back to sleep. I like that it's basically an arcade game with floating numbers now. Going back to D2 felt like work.

On 19/08/2021 at 12:15, Nosejam said:

Just saw on the Xbox store that you can download a beta of this which is playable between 20-23 Aug. 

Have Activision Blizzard stopped being utter cunts yet?

On 23/08/2021 at 10:28, moosegrinder said:

Yeah, I really can't go back after Diablo III. It's just too clunky.

Yeah, that was exactly my thoughts when I tried the OG game back in february and then the pc beta when it came out and the QOL improvements just weren't there.

You can't use skills with hotkeys.
You have to use the keys to equip the skills and then use mouse 1 or 2 to use them.
That seems really dated and clunky. I assume they'd be modernising that for the remake, but they didn't.
That is a total deal breaker for me.

Like someone said on here, there are enough diehard fans of the old game that their hands were probably tied in that regard especially since the "haven't you lot got phones" debacle.

Combat seemed pretty slow as well and it looked like you just had to just soak up damage, not much chance to dodge or avoid things, just chug a potion.

Not for me.

edit: haha, and yes, as people have said, in the interim, it came out that Blizzard were utter cuntwarts, so off the list it goes.

Yeah, this is a real mixed bag for me as someone who adored the original.

It seems like an extremely faithful remake, but it's a faithful remake of a 21 year old game. I know they'd likely have been crucified for changing anything, but a few concessions to modern game design would have been welcome here. Also the UI is awful.

It's unfortunate as I'd like to support Vicarious Visions, but life is short and I already have too much to play.