IGNORED

Diablo 2 Remake? Vicarious Visions

Ran

13 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Also fuck the penalty where you die and drop all your stuff. That's no fun.

What, as opposed to respawning with everything intact? Might as well just play with full invincibility. Which, admittedly, would be fun for a while, but not very fulfilling long term.

4 hours ago, sammy said:

One of the best tricks I’ve learned is if you save and exit immediately after death you load back into the hub town next to your corpse.  You do lose all of your gold though, I’m sticking most of it in my stash now when I return to town, which is frequently, due to inventory size!  I think it’s fine though once you get used to the rhythm of it.

Yep - I died yesterday - ended up back in town and before going for my run to pick my stuff back up I thought I'd take a break and save and quit (I didn't know about this thing)

Logged back in and my corpse in town was there with all my stuff bar the gold

2 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

What, as opposed to respawning with everything intact? Might as well just play with full invincibility. Which, admittedly, would be fun for a while, but not very fulfilling long term.

Yep, Diablo 2 is supposed to be tough. Diablo 3 has spoiled people as it was a cake walk 

Dying and losing my stuff was a surprise at first, but I’ve played enough rogue-likes and Minecraft etc to accept it.
I was happy to hear that if you die when hunting for your loot from your previous corpse, it doesn’t disappear and you then have two corpses to track down.

Just keep a spare sword in your loot crate. I’ve died a few times because I suck at games, but I’ve always got my stuff back and carried on my merry way!

Also, I absolutely adore the soundtrack! Some fairly basic guitar pieces in there, but they really add to the atmosphere!

I've hit a wall in this. Picked sorceress and I'm just constantly using health and mana bottles and get battered all the time. Even if I have a tank merc with me. I just seem to always get shite loot. Been using the same gear for about 10 hours. 

Having a look online at builds and what not, it's just all confusing. 

I'm just not finding it much fun. Especially compared to diablo 3. If they had better multiplayer (ie, actually find other players) then I might enjoy it a bit more. 

20 minutes ago, Ry said:

I've hit a wall in this. Picked sorceress and I'm just constantly using health and mana bottles and get battered all the time. Even if I have a tank merc with me. I just seem to always get shite loot. Been using the same gear for about 10 hours. 

Having a look online at builds and what not, it's just all confusing. 

I'm just not finding it much fun. Especially compared to diablo 3. If they had better multiplayer (ie, actually find other players) then I might enjoy it a bit more. 

Just try playing a barbarian and hitting things. You can do early game just leaping around and bashing things and only really needing health potions at the start .

Just now, Uzi said:

Just try playing a barbarian and hitting things. You can do early game just leaping around and bashing things and only really needing health potions at the start .

I really don't want to restart. I'm at act 3. 

1 hour ago, El Spatula said:

What build are you using?

Increase energy and invest in warmth if you can't find energy + skilled armour.

Your DPS should as high as possible for survival.

I have put all my points into fire and basically just use the fireball. 

I'm running around with a club that does fuck. I just can't seem to get good gear. I'm out of gold as well. 

Rightyo. Why are you using a club? You need a staff of some sort. You also need some skill diversity. A point in ice armour would be good, as would points in warmth but stick to the fire tree bar ice armour. Oh and telekinesis/teleport in the lightning tree. That'll save your life.

You need some sort of AOE skill as well. Firewall usually.

On 28/09/2021 at 12:15, CheekyLee said:

I mean no, dying and losing your shit isn't fulfilling really, is it? It's just some arbitrary time waste to make you run all the way back where you were. If you died somewhere too difficult, or were fed up of where you were, you could go somewhere else instead if you didn't lose your stuff. You'd have options. As is, your only options are to lose all the stuff or traipse all the way back to retrieve it and hope you don't die again on the way. It's not fun, it's just busywork.

On 28/09/2021 at 14:59, Mr C said:

Yep, Diablo 2 is supposed to be tough. Diablo 3 has spoiled people as it was a cake walk 

It can be tough without making me lose all my stuff, though. 

Well this is where those pantomime "Oh yes it is!" "Oh no it isn't!" refrains come in regarding whether it's fun or not. Personally there's a reason games didn't keep this particular mechanic which is because fuck that, arbitrary punishment for death is archaic and pointless. But it's obvious that Blizzard were going for the whole authentic Diablo II experience.

I'd have loved a Diablo II in the III engine remake. Keep the talent trees and inventory, story, all that but use IIIs movement system and combat. Whether that would have viable or not I don't know. Probably not. They definitely would have copped a lot of shit for it from the fanbase. 

Surprised at how rough-looking and choppy the 'legacy' mode is in this. I installed the original game a while ago and got it looking pretty nice even on an LCD monitor. I don't suppose there are any legacy display options I might have missed?

You could only make the original look nice by using custom shader mods. The max res was 800*600 and it only ran at 25fps. So yes, it will look choppy in classic graphic mode. It looks even worse if you have gear because they don't speed up animations to fit. They drop animation frames when you have high haste/cast time reduction instead.

They might add some options to scale classic mode better when they fix the launch problems. AMD FSR perhaps.

I just got to the expansion on this over the weekend. I am playing a sorcerer, which initially thought was a bad idea as obviously squishy, but am now at a stage were I can fireball and meteor enemies to death for the most part. The first boss was the hardest one to beat for me as the room you are in is so small. I found him harder than Diablo.

I love the graphics and music in this. I will definitively be trying the harder levels once I have completed the main game.

I'm at the river of fire on act 4 with sorceress and just getting absolutely destroyed. Nothing I can do except run with fire trailing behind me because everything there just charges you. Not getting any good gear drops and everything in shops being shit compared to the shit I already have. 

Not sure what I can do except grind and the pitiful amount of experience I'm getting makes that a complete chore.