IGNORED

Recommended Blu-ray Releases

Marlew

BFI are taking pre-orders for Play For Today volume 2, six more 70s BBC plays including the still-very-powerful The Spongers.

£45 though, pretty steep but I'm tempted because the price on the volume doesn't seem to have gone down any.

Picked up the Karloff at Columbia set. 

6 1930’s Karloff movies with some nice extras, commentary’s, essay booklet and lovely packaging. Image quality is really nice and restored. 

I’m not a huge old movie or horror fan but the economy of some of the stories is great (I love a 70 minute movie) and for 80 year old films the scale of them can be great. 

031AEC7B-B902-4B9A-9C59-761C18E90D6D.jpeg

On 27/04/2021 at 11:52, Vimster said:

I recently started buying Blu-rays of films I've enjoyed down the years. Probably really obvious to state it but the fact these usually have some sort of commentary, even if they're just transferred from previous DVD releases, and maybe features and documentaries are the real draw for me, makes for a decent package especially if there's an interesting story behind the film. Maybe this is the vinyl comparison, there are plenty of releases aimed at, well, I hate to say film buffs but let's say people who are wanting a bit more quality than just streaming. If that keeps the disc market going I'm all for it. 

Some of the prices are mad though, and I've had to hold off buying some of the more extravagant Arrow special editions because I'm definitely not a collector, although they are very tempting.   

If you just want to watch films and bonus features that aren't available to stream, and aren't too bothered about collecting nice packaging, and you're in the UK, you could always subscribe to Cinema Paradiso and rent Blu-rays by post:

https://www.cinemaparadiso.co.uk/

Unlike the old days of LoveFilm they don't charge more for borrowing BRs than they do for DVDs!

31 minutes ago, Nick R said:

If you just want to watch films and bonus features that aren't available to stream, and aren't too bothered about collecting nice packaging, and you're in the UK, you could always subscribe to Cinema Paradiso and rent Blu-rays by post:

https://www.cinemaparadiso.co.uk/

Unlike the old days of LoveFilm they don't charge more for borrowing BRs than they do for DVDs!

Im intrigued. I never knew such a service still existed. They seem to do 4K as well where it’s avaialable. 

Do you use the service and if so are they pretty quick at turnaround? On the single disc plan I figure it would be 1 disc per week really by the time you’ve watched it it’s sent back and a new one is shipped out. 

I’m finding the act of putting a disc in a machine is really making me watch films more since I got a new player and a service like this could mean I spend less money on new 4K and niche blue ray releases that I’m only gonna watch once. 

2 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Do you use the service and if so are they pretty quick at turnaround? On the single disc plan I figure it would be 1 disc per week really by the time you’ve watched it it’s sent back and a new one is shipped out. 

Sometimes there are delays, and it probably depends on where you live, but for me usually it's only one business day between discs:

* You post a disc in time for Monday evening collection

* Cinema P receives it on Tuesday, and sends out the next one

* That one arrives to you in the Wednesday morning post

* Post that in time for Thursday evening collection

* Cinema P receives it on Friday, and sends out the next one

* Next one arrives Saturday

Whilst I was a bit hesitant to spend £45 on some plays I immediately pre-ordered this box set as I'm all over a bit of 70s Italian police action. Only seen two of these (Colt 38 Special Squad and Highway Racer) both of which are excellent examples of the genre. These sorts of films are hard to come by normally. 

films.jpg

• 1 month later...

91k9ojyv9RL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is a fantastic set. I barely watched these way back when but from an AV perspective, this is glorious so far and I'm loving the atmosphere. I'm having an operation next week and I will be housebound for the most of the summer. Perfect timing to burn through all 120 eps or whatever. Magnifico. 

8 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

You gonna be alright? Your knee or something, is it? Nothing to worry about?

Thanks, mate. It's nothing sinister, but will keep me housebound for a while. 

Spoiler

Nob reduction. 

53 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Thanks, mate. It's nothing sinister, but will keep me housebound for a while. 

Reveal hidden contents

Nob reduction. 

It's only fair. Your poor wife has suffered long enough.

Which bits of you are they taking off?

Hope it all goes well! Keep yourself sane and well entertained.

3 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

It's only fair. Your poor wife has suffered long enough.

Which bits of you are they taking off?

Hope it all goes well! Keep yourself sane and well entertained.

If I can still rest my arcade stick on the area (should be a lot more room at least), I'll be back on DOJ with a vengeance. 

And cheers, I'll make it through. 

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of Arrow, I've just signed up to their Arrow Player, fifty quid for a year. I think I've already watched more movies on there in a month than I have on Netflix for the year. Which isn't surprising. It's all the genre stuff I love... slasher movies, spaghetti westerns  etc. It's been insanely good value so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Two recent Sammo Hung belters on Eureka:

81DqAcyNLtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

814s1lHDssS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Both absolutely brilliant, great transfers and extras. Both new to me. Encounter is a kung fu horror comedy in the vein of the fantastic Mr Vampire (which followed not too long after). It's pretty funny and very inventive and once the fights start to kick off, it's proper quality. I also thought I heard the intro to Kung Fu by Ash in there and sure enough, it was! The very end was one of the most jaw-dropping things I've seen in a movie in a long time. 

Express is a comedy kung fu Western with dozens of top tier HK cameos. It's entertaining from start to finish and one of the best action romps I've watched in ages. Sammo is on brilliant form. It's a more of a comedy, to be honest, but some of the action sequences are incredible and Yuen Biao pulls off some outrageous stunts, including one flip in the first twenty minutes or so that I had to rewind a dozen times. Eureka knocked it out the park again. 

• 4 months later...

Paramount recently released a fancy remaster of Vanilla Sky, on its Paramount Presents label. 

However, the recent German release is exactly the same disc:

u3xh0axm.jpg

I picked this up for under a tenner including shipping, from Amazon.de. 

Note: The rear cover does not list any bonus content, but this is the English main menu:

Spoiler

MG6I7kGl.jpg

It's possible that this might appear as an HMV exclusive at some point, but to date, Vanilla Sky remains unreleased on Blu-ray in the UK. 

On 27/07/2021 at 21:46, Marlew said:

Encounter is a kung fu horror comedy in the vein of the fantastic Mr Vampire (which followed not too long after). It's pretty funny and very inventive and once the fights start to kick off, it's proper quality. I also thought I heard the intro to Kung Fu by Ash in there and sure enough, it was! The very end was one of the most jaw-dropping things I've seen in a movie in a long time.  

Watched this the other night. Agree about the ending. Those last fifty seconds are a real WTF!!

• 3 weeks later...