This is a biggie... PC Engine GT restoration | A Treble Project

Great stuff! I'd add another pos for the cat if I could. More cat in next phase please! :)

One thing, should you really put the circuit board on that cloth? I'd be steering well clear of anything like that for fear of a little static frying something..

22 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

Great stuff! I'd add another pos for the cat if I could. More cat in next phase please! :)

One thing, should you really put the circuit board on that cloth? I'd be steering well clear of anything like that for fear of a little static frying something..

10 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

I've been thinking of dipping into Yahoo Japan via Sendico too. Did you get stung for customs?

I'm sure some more cat shenanigans can be wrangled ;)

I've never had any issues with static from microfibre clothes, but it's a good point. I do all the important work on an antistatic mat. 

Sendico: they allow you to put down the value yourself. Anything under £15 is customs free, so guess what I did? :D

16 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I'm glad my brasso tip helped someone :) great work ! 

Ah, it was you! Soz, I tried to find that thread but failed. Yep, it's a life saver. 

1 hour ago, Treble said:

Ah, it was you! Soz, I tried to find that thread but failed. Yep, it's a life saver. 

I brasso'd a Saturn Pad last month and honestly the glossy plastic part looked like it had came straight from the factory when I was done with it. Look how clear the reflection of my phone is in it (yeah i definitely should have run a microfiber over it to catch those bits of dust mind)

Just in case anyone fancies a go DON'T BRASSO THE PRINTED LOGOS as they will come right off

143094629_10158727657875803_287800834756

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

I brasso'd a Saturn Pad last month and honestly the glossy plastic part looked like it had came straight from the factory when I was done with it. Look how clear the reflection of my phone is in it (yeah i definitely should have run a microfiber over it to catch those bits of dust mind)

Just in case anyone fancies a go DON'T BRASSO THE PRINTED LOGOS as they will come right off

143094629_10158727657875803_287800834756

So how do you recommend doing this? Any tips or advice?

Take it apart, mask off the printed logos, and just give it a good once over. Don't be afraid to use a bit of elbow grease and don't be alarmed when the surface goes all cloudy - it'll polish off.

If you're a bit nervous, try it on something low value like a CD case first. The results are easy to see:

122429039_10158503501195803_866858762150

122400823_10158503501235803_778849875588

Yep, that was my first 'case' (ho ho) when I started, too.

So, this morning I decided I could probably make an even better job of the screen. I went to town on it with the Brasso on the outside, then opened it up, masked the edges off (so the liquid wouldn't creep under the open parts of the bezel and did the needful :)

1611657388616.thumb.jpg.0e17cc33c12069a875f1da499833fb55.jpg 

More to come this arvo!

1 hour ago, strider said:

Great thread. I miss my PC Engine GT. I can only imagine how expensive it would be to replace (along with the 30 odd games I had).

Yup, this is why I bought some bust ones: to fix and resell. Buying them in working order costs a mind-bending amount. 

3 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

As it's your third, if you feel like moving this one on when you're done with your project I'd love to call first dibs... :)

Just saw this! PMed

2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Hi, can you just confirm something for me, please?

Is this genuinely the electrical engineering term for it?

Those boys prefer the term 'barnacled smegma', I believe. 

7 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

@strideris mentally filling out the expenses form as we speak.

LOL, as if we get a budget for buying stuff to appear in the mag.

Things like the Astro City Mini in this month's issue come straight out of our own pockets.

2 minutes ago, strider said:

Things like the Astro City Mini in this month's issue come straight out of our own pockets.

That’s because all you Future games mag journos are stinking rich. No need to rub our noses in it!

14 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

That’s because all you Future games mag journos are stinking rich. No need to rub our noses in it!

I'd have agreed with you if I'd also purchased the arcade stick!

12 hours ago, strider said:

When I make my millions and start my own mag, purchases like these will finally be expenseable.

And then they'll have to stop because people will take the piss within minutes.

Anyway, this is great work, @Treble - inspires me to want to try and fix stuff myself. I won't, mind, because I'd fail and likely burn the house down. The point remains, though.

On 26/01/2021 at 08:33, mikejenkins said:

Watching with interest, I don’t think I have ever seen one of these in the flesh and I love the PC Engine for its ability to punch well above its technical weight. 

I hope you get to use one one day. It's a great experience. It blew me away back in the early nineties. 

The sound was the clincher, it was amazing. The speaker on the thing was beefy. Especially compared to my Gameboy. 

Incredible piece of work. I had one of these back in the day and know I didn't sell it. I just have no idea where it is or where it went...:(

Mine had a case and TV tuner with it too. I wish I could find the damn thing.

Again though, that's an excellent restoration. Well impressed :sealclap: