IGNORED

Console Hokey Cokey

thesnwmn

There's been a few posters in the last few days (@Ry and @denisb spring to mind) talking about rebuying PS5 or Series X having sold their launch consoles which peaked my interest.

It's not a mindset I understand in such a short period of time. They've been out 2/3 months and I can grasp selling quickly due to a) a pre-order you made and kept but were then unconvinced by wha to play or b) money to be made by selling to crazies above RRP.

But what drives buying them back again so soon? What has changed to bring you back after deciding it wasn't for you a mere few weeks ago? More games? Fixed issues? Made a killing on scalping/gambling/burglary and can now afford it? Pure FOMO?

So, if you're the kind of person who often buys, sells and then rebuys consoles during a generation, why and is it often in very short periods or more like with year(s) away? Does it work out financially in general?

---

Personally I'm pretty lazy (and luckily not cash strapped) and have never really sold things on. Consoles that fall out of use during their lifecycle just sit and gather dust rather than getting moved on. When they're replaced by the next generation they go in the loft.

Maybe there's a degree of stubbornness to this too... I decided to buy the thing (often in a moment of excitement for a single game) so I must want it and therefore keep it. I get that I'm a bit stupid in keeping such expensive dust collectors through fallow gaming periods but it's interesting to me that people flip flop so rapidly.

For me, I think, it comes down to some sort of FOMO that I don't have all the available consoles. Even though I've played my fill of Xbox games which is why I sold my Series S but there's a part of me that wants it under the TV - just because.

I'm terrible for buying and selling games and consoles. 

You could just have asked. :P

I sold it as a friend of a friend was desperate and actually begged me to sell, and I didn't make the silly profit some have. Also, I shouldnt have bought it in the first place as it fucked my finances, FOMO was in full effect at the time also. My finances are in better shape right now after I sold a watch I inherited. 

Right now I want to play GT Sport as I ha e a wheel and chair gathering dust. I sold my PS4 some time ago. 

Buying a PS5 is much more sensible than picking up another PS4 for cheap as I wanted one for future exclusives anyway. 

Back in the 360/PS3 generation when I worked retail we had a surprising amount of customers doing this. They’d buy a console when a big title came out then trade it all in again a week later, sure enough they’d be back again buying a new console and whatever new release it was that time.

It always completely baffled me since surely it worked out better to just hold onto the console. :blah:

This isn't a new thing on rllmuk or ntsc-uk back in the day. You'd read of people instantly putting their PS2/PS3/Xbox/Gamecube/Whatever up in trading as there was "nothing new out", then a influx of rebuying when a new game came out. 

I am bad for upgrading consoles sort of pointlessly. I think maybe because of the whole xbox thing where newer OG Xbox consoles had much better drives, and the new 360's would RRoD less. 

I bought a great PS3 in 2008, only to trade it for a slim a year later. Was pointless. Also in hindsight, I don't think the PS4 pro was totally that much worth bothering with over the OG with a 1080p tv (well, maybe), and I should of just spent the money on more games. 

With this gen, I've got my PS5 and that will be under my TV till it's replaced by a PS6. I'll upgrade the storage at some point but that's it. 

I wanted to get a Series X to go along with it, but they're impossible to get unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Back in the 360/PS3 generation when I worked retail we had a surprising amount of customers doing this. They’d buy a console when a big title came out then trade it all in again a week later, sure enough they’d be back again buying a new console and whatever new release it was that time.

It always completely baffled me since surely it worked out better to just hold onto the console. :blah:

This, but because they had no money. We had one guy who would regularly trade his 360 in because he was desperate only to come back a few months later and buy another second hand one.

I had a Series X on pre-order.

Gave that to a mate because I played everything I'm currently interested in on my One X.

From release day until now, I've had a Series X in the basket three times despite it not having one single game that I want to play at this point. Each time it's a little bit more difficult to delete it from the basket. 

The reason is straightforward: I want one, and I'm not spending my money on fuck all else these days. And I'm a tit. 

I have a mate who does this. Buys a console and goes game crazy for a short while then flogs it, usually at a loss. Games and all. Then a few months later buys the same machine again. Rinse repeat. He's been doing it since the N64 and PS1 days.

I told him years ago, unless it's due to money issues (it never is) then he should just treat consoles and gaming like we would a VCR (LOL) or DVD player (double LOL) and just have the machines chilling in the background ready for when the mood takes you again. He must buy and sell each gens machines 3 or 4 times a generation.

Notice a few people seem to be like that in trading, 10 phones a year and that. Oh well, it's their money.

I used to work in a charity shop, we had a regular customer who would do this. Buy a TV, then a week later buy a hifi or a ghetto blaster and then buy another tv after giving or selling the previous one to his neighbour, or realising the inbuilt dvd drive didn't play dvds properly or something. God knows how many cheap 20 pound tvs he bought. 

Lovely guy but he's schizophrenic which is probably part of it, I would always try to stop him making such daft purchases but ultimately it's his money and his decision, it wasn't like he was spending a lot and it's one of the things he enjoys in life. 

I got to the point of not charging him when he bought something cause I knew it was coming back in a few weeks anyway. 

Guilty a bit of this during the PS3/360 era. Hate having a clutter of consoles around. It would be always one release or another that I'd have FOMO with. 

This is largely the problem FOMO. Right now I really want to play with Astrobot and the new controller of the PS5. I can afford to get one if I wanted (and of course find one) but then I'd have two consoles sat around taking up space and I really don't have the time to play on more than one console anyway - and to compound the problem a bit also have  a PC with a glut of Steam games and a few retro consoles. So the upshot is I don't like having things around me that get little or no use most of the time because I don't have the time to use them ergo its a waste of money hitting me in the face every day! I think I like the tech more than I actually play games on them most of the time too. So geeky tech nerd kicks in at times and just want to tinker.

I know I will end up with a PS5 at some point to play the exclusive games I feel I'm missing out on - however I will sell it when done.

My ideal solution these days would be a PC with my retro kit. Love the flexibility of it. I have the X to play games at the moment better than what my PC does and its convenient, Games are optimised for it and it hooks into Game Pass. I cannot justify spending £1.5K on a PC upgrade to make it do what the Series X does. So its a great halfway house until those PC components start to normalise in price a bit and become more readily available.

Anyway as always waffling on..... :D 

I got an Xbox in 2002, cleared Halo, played Metroid Fusion, decided I needed a GameCube for Prime and made an arse of myself swapping in Game’s post-holiday grace period. Big regret at the time but it was the right call in terms of platform choice - when I got an Xbox again in 2004 it was much livelier in terms of releases than it had been.

(Jesus I thought that those events were further apart. When did two years stop being a long time?)

My flatmate and me were binging DoA2U on said Xbox when the 360 came out so we went half and half on an Arcade and DoA4. Sold it (to someone on here?) for an acceptable loss when we both moved the next year.

Edit - Oh and then I got a new one in the year of our lord 2012.

I've been pretty good at buying one console for most of a generation and having enough games on that platform to not worry about the alternatives for a while. The OG Xbox had a bunch of neat distractions and I only hopped over to the PS2 when they were pretty much being given away; I skipped the Wii/PS3 in favour of a 360 and didn't really think too much about what I was missing because I had so much keeping me distracted on Microsoft's console. I stuck with the PS4 over the last gen - it had Bloodborne, it was the first place to get Nier Automata, it allowed me to pick up Persona 5 without having to buy a PS3 for one game, it later received some neat VR stuff... so I never really looked at the WiiU or Xbox One and had much regret (with the exception of maybe Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Bayo 2.)

The only trouble is that the new gen means that I'm back at square one again - I haven't picked up a PS5, Series X or even a Switch, and the "single format" approach has worked so well for previous generations that I'm kind of nervous about making the wrong bet, so to speak.

Only had my Series X for a week this Thursday and I doubt it'll be going anywhere. 

Ain't sold or traded a game for about 3 yrs, and not sold or traded a console since Gamecube days.

It's strange once you reach a point of certain disposable income and I realise how lucky I am the be able to say that. 

I have a PS3,PS4,PS4 pro, WiiU,Switch, Xbox one X and now the series X. Only Ps4 Pro and Series X and Switch currently installed in living room 

46 minutes ago, Ry said:

I owned 3 Switches, and 3 PS4s last gen. Only sold XB1 to upgrade to X1X. 

I think I just like to sell shit. Always sell a game as soon as I finish it too. 

Personally I've had:

OG PS4 

Metal Gear Solid V LE 

Uncharted 4 LE 

PS4 Pro 

Last of Us 2 PS4 Pro (still own)

PS5 (still own)

Each PS4 was sold / traded to fund the next.

OG Xbox One (sold)

3 x Xbox One X (all sold)

Xbox Series S (sold)

Got bored of every Xbox

Neon Switch (sold)

Switch Lite (still own)

Got bored of the Switch after a barren software spell (in my mind) but am really enjoying MK8D in handheld.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

I owned 3 Switches, and 3 PS4s last gen. Only sold XB1 to upgrade to X1X. 

I think I just like to sell shit. Always sell a game as soon as I finish it too. 

Yeah, I could have just asked (from your other post) but it was inspiration rather than a directed question.

That sounds completely insane to my ears. I guess fine if it's not taking a loss but otherwise it seems like money down the pisser* when in the back of my head I know I'm likely to buy it again when selling.

Selling games makes more sense generally to me although I went mostly digital very early because I have too much stuff.

* Not that I should talk given the crazy Lego collection

I guess the most interesting (maybe in a horrible way) to me is where the buy/sell repeated cycle is because of money. Like cannot afford it so sell it. Get a little windfall so rebuy it. But that's a temporary state. The next bill or whatever changes that the cash is needed. It's not a world I've had to deal with (very lucky) so it's easy to look down on it but I know that's very very unfair and wrong.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I think I’d sell my own grandmother before flogging even the shittest of game purchases.

Sold my Master system and games to buy a fish tank. 

I loved those fish with all my heart, but still regret loosing that game collection. 

I do this quite a lot. Over the last couple of years or so I’ve had 2 Switches, 2 Switch Lites, 2 Xbox One Xs and it’s been the same to varying degrees for as long I can remember. 

I don’t do it because I need the money or to replace what I have with something else, I’ve just got a strange aversion to owning stuff that I don’t use regularly, sort of like a reverse hoarder. I have absolutely zero sentimental attachment to ‘things’ and if it’s not something I use on a regular basis I want rid of it. I’d rather give stuff away than have it sat around gathering dust. 

I’m sure it’s cost me a small fortune over the years but better that than being surrounded by things I don’t want being miserable I suppose. Maybe I should invest some of the money re-buying things costs me in therapy instead. 

13 hours ago, deKay said:

I think I’d sell my own grandmother before flogging even the shittest of game purchases.

Having just taken ownership of a PS5, a friend asked what I’d do with the PS4. I told him I fully expected to be buried with it, along with all the other old consoles I own. 

12 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Sold my Master system and games to buy a fish tank. 

I loved those fish with all my heart, but still regret loosing that game collection. 

I sold my Master System games - almost all of them - to fund the purchase of Theme Park on the Megadrive. I enjoyed the game, but I’ve regretted selling my whole collection ever since. 

I've never really sold a console, I usually give old ones to friends or family if I pick up the newer version or if I'm just not using it anymore.

I did sell my SNES when I was 14 to help buy my N64 for Christmas. Sold it with 14 games to a security guard in a demolition site portakabin down the street. He said he'd give me "a score" for it and I was paranoid he meant drugs.

I'm one too.  I get this thing ever y few months where I am sat there playing my console and I just think wtf am I doing. I'm 34 years old sat playing videogames. What if I spent that time learning an instrument or doing a YouTube channel then I sell my console and promise myself I won't play games anymore.

Then a few months later I buy one again...