I absolutely love the flat shaded poly look, ever since Virtua Racing in the arcade.

I still have fond memories of trying to satiate my VR poly lust just before the PS1 launched in Japan and buying an NTSC SNES and both Wild Trax/Stunt Race FX and Star Fox, brilliant games the both. My first dalliance with consoles since my VCS in the early 80s. I had tried a naughty copy of Indy 500 on my sister's Amiga (soon after discovering VR in a service station around 3am. Got that sucker into free-play by turning it off/on at the wall and me and a bunch of bleary eyed clubber mates played until the sun came up. Phenomenal, seminal  and life changing night.) Indy 500 may have been amazing but it wasn't what I was looking for, so in came the SNES and those two games a year or so later, though the real shit happened for me with both the Saturn and PS1. That's when games became a massive part of my life.

Was going to include Stunt Race below but unsure whether that may be disqualified due to having very rudimentary texture mapping. Interested what anyone thinks about that. Whether SR FX does indeed have texture mapping or if it's some other trick.

Geograph Seal. I read about it ages ago whilst being on a Jumping Flash kick, think Flash's engine was based on this, definitely has some traversal and game-world similarities.

Got this on my Steam wishlist.

I remember seeing Cyber Sled in the arcade a little while after my Virtua Racing epiphany and being so fucking excited about what lay ahead in gaming.

5 hours ago, gunrock said:

Coala on Amiga. A combat helicopter game.

I spent hours playing this on my Amiga 1500 and then Amiga 4000.

190931.jpg

I can see the koala!

I love late 80s / early 90s polygonal titles! PC and Amiga flight sims (even the handful on Megadrive!) and I still regularly play Model 1 titles in Mame.

On the subject of Virtua Racing and Hotshot Racing, there's also the overlooked Formula Retro Racing which I had a hell of a lot of fun with, complete with a recreation of Monaco!

spacer.png

I always liked (especially once I got an accelerator) 4D Sports Boxing on the Amiga.

It was agonisingly slow, even with a 68040, you might call it sluggish, but I liked it's ponderous lurching, the grimacing of the cpu player when you nailed him in the breadbasket. It was great!

4d_sports_boxing_02.png

Reaaly, no mechwarrior 2 love! shame! i think this still looks great, the original version without textures! and especially in 1024x768 it looks real clean too!

On 27/01/2021 at 18:48, Qazimod said:

I'm sure I played a home version of this on (don't laugh) a 3DO demo unit in a store like Curry's or something. My naïve young mind thought it was ace... but then again Starwing wasn't out on SNES yet... :P 

was that not Star Fighter 3000, a port of the archimedes game

(the 3DO version was textured though)

On 30/01/2021 at 10:49, 5R7 said:

Reaaly, no mechwarrior 2 love! shame! i think this still looks great, the original version without textures! and especially in 1024x768 it looks real clean too!

MW2 Mercenaries

Dire Wolf fo' life, yo!

Not strictly flat shading but there's not a LOT between flat and cel-shaded, with mostly shaded polys and minimal textures. 

I've always thought Auto Modellista looks absolutely amazing.

image.thumb.png.bb632f019ce8198cf228069389106905.png

On 27/01/2021 at 10:51, Camel said:

Kawasaki Superbike Challenge - Mega Drive. Super impressive Virtua Racing style 3D, no extra chips.

On a similar note, the flight sims F22 Interceptor and LHX Attack Chopper impressed me as a kid, though I'm not sure how they'd hold up now. Used to lose hours to F22, after turning all the sim elements off and giving myself infinite missiles, of course!

I got around to playing Ex-Zodiac on Steam. It’s near enough a remake of Starfox! Looks fantastic - it has a retro option for chunky graphics and a modern option for up to 4k. 60fps and a control scheme any SNES fan will be at home with.