IGNORED

PS Plus Feb 2021 - Destruction All Stars,Control: UE and Concrete Genie

mdn2

I finished Control and the DLC on PS4 last September and just wish I had waited a few more months for the PS5 version as it was clearly struggling on the old hardware. It's a fantastic game though - a proper weird sci-fi vibe and the combat from the old PS2 game Psi-Ops brought right up to date. Newcomers on PS5 are in for a real treat!

Without wanting to sound like a prick, the backlash is a complete non issue right? It reads like customers are annoyed they paid for a game (twice) subscribers to a paid service receive as part of their subscription.

From the Metro review of Control UE:

Good use is also made of the DualSense, with difference surfaces feeling very different when you walk over them, and there’s a generous number of help videos and activity cards which are genuinely useful given the game’s often confusing layout and sometimes vague goals.

1 minute ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

How does Control run on a PS4Pro? dunno whether to wait and play it on a PS5 or not

If you're planning to get a PS5 in the future I'd hold off for now personally given you've already waited this long to play it. It didn't run all that great on PS4 Pro or Xbox One X. Having a stable frame-rate plus either ray tracing or 60fps will make a noticeable difference.

42 minutes ago, Majora said:

If you're planning to get a PS5 in the future I'd hold off for now personally given you've already waited this long to play it. It didn't run all that great on PS4 Pro or Xbox One X. Having a stable frame-rate plus either ray tracing or 60fps will make a noticeable difference.

To be fair, you can "Plan to get a PS5" all you like, doesn't mean you're getting one.

9 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Does anyone think Destruction Allstars is actually fun?

I like the PS5 load times and all that but the gameplay is nonsense.

I do like how the character moves though

Reaction on Resetera seems decidedly mixed, though leaning towards the negative, with a general sense of 'how did they ever think they could get away with charging £70 for this?'

Had a quick go on DAS at lunchtime, seems a lot of fun.  I like the vehicle handling and the on foot action is pretty cool if you’re in the thick of it, although can be a long run back to the vehicles on occasion. Will need to have a further play around with the different characters as all have special powers. Looking forward to getting stuck in later!

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

Reaction on Resetera seems decidedly mixed, though leaning towards the negative, with a general sense of 'how did they ever think they could get away with charging £70 for this?'

Which is exactly what I thought.

people will be playing this in 6 weeks time like they were playing Secret Ponchos.

The core mechinc is running or driving around in circles trying to hit someone or another vehicle. It’s like playing rocket league as a ball chaser yet you never hit the ball and no one ever scored a goal....

Destruction All-Stars.

The definition of one of those 'free' games you'll play for one afternoon go 'It's alright, I s'pose' then never touch again while you move onto more memorable fare. It doesn't do anything egregiously wrong (although the car handling is a bit too squirrelly for my liking), but there's not really anything here I think will have most people playing beyond a couple of hours. As a package it feels really half-baked.

If this had been released at retail it would have been torn to shreds and it would have been skeezy as all hell not to make it FTP as it's one of those games with multiple currencies and time-limited events with countdowns on them and a front and centre shop that aleady has a gazillion items at launch. Give it a go if you're already paying for PS+, you've got nothing to lose and may see more in it than me.

8 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

It's great, manic, daft, brightly coloured nonsense and I love it (based on a go at lunchtime). It's exactly what I expected it to be, and it absolutely is not worth £70 - but it didn't cost me that so as a criticism that is entirely redundant.

It looks great, the character design is striking, the soundtrack is pumping, controls are good with adaptive triggers in play, nice haptics, ridiculously short load times, no pay-to-win and it seems to have a good sense of humour.

AND IT WAS BLOODY FREE!!!!!

It's a winner for me.

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Also my sentiments. I don't really like the character or vehicle controls. The character movement and jumping feels especially woolly, and lacks weight. The character doesn't look they are going to make the ledge climb, and then does.

I mean, lets be honest, has vehicle combat ever really be fun?

6 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Also my sentiments. I don't really like the character or vehicle controls. The character movement and jumping feels especially woolly, and lacks weight. The character doesn't look they are going to make the ledge climb, and then does.

I mean, lets be honest, has vehicle combat ever really be fun?

It certainly was in the PlayStation demo kiosk of 1995.

If you don't like vehicle combat games and you thought Destruction Derby was overrated and you thought the bit in the bowl was ok for about 10 minutes, it's not especially surprising that a vehicle combat game set in a bowl like arena and built by, amongst others, developers who worked on Destruction Derby is not to your liking.

I actually agree with you on the character movement. Jump height/platform height is out of sync and the game is doing some ginormous compensating for you.

But then, get this, I was in an arena of chaos and just as someone rammed my nearly broken car I ejected, flew through the air and landed on top of someone else's car, which I then stole from them before falling into a previously unseen chasm in the floor, jumping out at the last minute and sprinting around the edge of it before landing in the arena and then promptly getting run over.

I thoroughly recommend turning this up loud and having someone else in the room to cheer and whoop with you. I also think it desperately, desperately needs a split screen mode.

I like Destruction Allstars, the IQ is surprisingly high after the video previews made it look pretty average graphically, the mechanics all work well, i love yanking someone else out of a car and the fact it once had a £70 price tag means fuck all when they made it free.