Too much content

This is the case with everything. There’s so much competing for your time across all media that the new metric for judgement is ‘what do I want to do with my limited time on earth?’ because you can’t hope to do even 1% of it. 

This is even more apparent if you actually create anything. I make music and trying to get any of my friends to even listen to it is impossible. I know, it must be shit, they must hate me etc, but if I knew someone who’d made an album I’d at least be curious enough to skip through some tracks. Maybe even more so if I hated them or thought it was shit. 

People just live in very tight little bubbles of media, they don’t have the time or inclination to try anything outside of that, and occasionally you catch yourself demonstrating that. 

It's entirely normal, otherwise every free piece of entertainment would be redeemed by everybody with an active account.

Who cares if something is free if you have minimal/negative desire/ability to invest the time to find out if you'll even like it, which is the position most people take. I've mentioned gaming freebies to people in the past, and when you ask them later if they even bothered to claim it, let alone play it, the answer usually isn't yes in my experience.

Too much content and non infinite lifespan means you practically will ignore the vast majority of it. Even professional entertainment reviewers don't consume everything in their fields, so everybody else doesn't stand a chance if people who dedicate most of their existence to consuming it can't manage it.

Because what you really want to do is go outside with friends. And have job security. And know that everyone else is ok. and not worry about the state of the planet. And meet someone nice and have kids and know they’ll be ok.  

It’s there in your brain constantly but we are constantly told we are all doomed.

Starting a new Metroid is not what you want. Even if they paid you to play it.

/tldr?

hurry and watch the mandelorian before it’s too late

Life these days really. Too many choices everywhere. Games. Mobile Phones. Mobile Phone contracts. Energy suppliers it goes on and on.

Way I see it prioritise things, do things you enjoy and time box things. 

If you aren't enjoying something stop doing it and focus on something else. Don't worry about monetary costs  "free" games aren't free they eat your time. In the end time is something you can't buy content is something you can chop and change. 

Don't worry about things you can't change or control focus on the the things you can.

Anyway with respect to games find one you enjoy playing free or not old or new. Or just have a break from gaming if you aren't and something that does give you a spark of joy!

Just my feelings of course. I've stopped gaming at times for months at a time to focus on other things. Not a bad thing. If you don't go back to it so what?! :)

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

I have a large library of PC games, none of which I play 

It's not about playing games anymore - it's about the collecting (free or otherwise)

3 hours ago, Pockets said:

This is the case with everything. There’s so much competing for your time across all media that the new metric for judgement is ‘what do I want to do with my limited time on earth?’ because you can’t hope to do even 1% of it. 

This is even more apparent if you actually create anything. I make music and trying to get any of my friends to even listen to it is impossible. I know, it must be shit, they must hate me etc, but if I knew someone who’d made an album I’d at least be curious enough to skip through some tracks. Maybe even more so if I hated them or thought it was shit. 

People just live in very tight little bubbles of media, they don’t have the time or inclination to try anything outside of that, and occasionally you catch yourself demonstrating that. 

Where can I find your music? I’d like to listen to it please. 

This is one reason why I can't quite relate to the xbox gamepass hype on gaming forums. Most of us seem to have pretty shocking backlogs of unplayed games that we actually decided we were interested enough in to pay for. There are more games out there that I'm actually interested in than I have time to play.

Games can generally be picked up dirt cheap if you wait even a few months so a monthly subscription to temporarily access a selection of games from Microsoft that might have a few you want to play but not others you want to play doesn't quite strike me as the deal of the century it's being presented as on forums. What do you do when the game you actually want to play at the moment isn't on gamepass? Buy it and "waste" your gamepass subscription time?(at least if you have unplayed games on your shelf you're not paying a monthly fee not to play them). Don't buy it and spend your bit of free time playing some gamepass game you're less excited about because it's "free"?

I used to think psplus was a good deal with its "free" games until I realised I'd been paying it for about 6 years and played about 4 games from it(I'm not an online gamer). 

Also, people talking about freebies as "backlog" and acting like they feel obligated to play/complete things they got for free makes no sense to me. I get all the epic and twitch games but have played almost none of them. I don't consider them my "backlog".

I lived with my Switch and PC until a couple of years ago then bought a PS4 for Final Fantasy VII reasons. I subbed to PSnow and couldn't believe this was real life. Then it suddenly occurred to me it was the same as when I was 13 and discovered Snes9X. Too much is too much.

7 hours ago, makkuwata said:

discovered Snes9X

I have a couple of devices I can play SNES games on - a wii and my laptop. Relevant to the topic, I've found I have to keep the roms on a different device or folder and only copy the games I really want to play across, otherwise I don't play anything properly, I just spend ages scrolling through a massive list of games, occasionally playing one for a couple of minutes, before going back to scrolling through the list. 

I think there can be some upsides in this problem. The wide availability of games, the crowding of the market and the amount of stuff on offer means that a lot of games are being ignored by people who won’t play them even when they are given away for free.

On the face of it this is a nightmarish problem. How is any dev supposed to break even if their game can’t sell to the masses without a strong media push behind it (free on epic is not a strong push)?

So over the last year I’ve been really getting into shoot em ups and have noticed alongside many others that 2020 was a very good year for what is supposed to be a down and out genre. The majority of new releases were indie games and yet I am aware of almost all of them and may even eventually buy them.

Why is this? Well shmups have a very dedicated fandom, it’s a niche genre but almost everything in that genre gets given a hard look by the community. It’s a community that was so starved for new games in the past that nothing gets taken for granted anymore.

Maybe I’m exaggerating on a few things but the growth of shoot em ups as a genre got me thinking that maybe there is a way to by pass the problems created by modern distribution.

I’m not sure how to put it so I’ll say it like this. If an independent studio is making a game and wants a better chance in the market lottery then it would be smart to have a very specific audience in mind. The people who are going to see your game and go “I have to get this.” We’ve seen shmups succeed with this recently such as Missile Dancer on switch pull in a very easily identifiable core and secondary audience (caravan players and shmup fans) without a big push behind it. 

Word of mouth is also to be taken into account, the people your game was made for will be very, very vocal about it if they like it enough. I believe Missile Dancer got its own thread on the forum? Now even more people know about it.

I think the big factor to getting by now more so than ever is identity, your game needs a strong identity and it needs to not be derivative. If it can pass those two tests then you should be able to find people who need to have your game as opposed to people who might take a chance on it Taking a punt is something you want from secondary audiences and people outside your intended audiences. If you are throwing your games on epic for free or on eshop with a big discount and hoping someone takes a liking to it to get your ball rolling then there is going to be some inevitable disappointment.

I have only ever taken up one free game on epic, it was Football Manager 2020. Think about that.

3 hours ago, sid said:

That’s fantastic, very impressive, production values are great.

Thanks. I’ve been getting back into it after ten years away. Production is my thing really, I’ve never been a great player but if you play lots of simple parts and put them together in an interesting way then it can sound more complex or interesting. That’s what I find fun. 

I decided to go for quieter, less compressed masters (think 1980s CDs vs 2000s CDs) and I think it benefits from the space. 

Anyway, wrong thread etc. 

Yeah, gamepass, and PS+, PS Now, Amazon freebies, Epic Store, all of that just creates a real 'rom-set' feeling.

Like a good book, you pay for games in both money and attention.

Gamepass might have 1000s of hours of content, but realistically, on average, I might get an hour a day to play a game.  Or more likely, 300hrs a year. Realistically, hype, The Big Guns, forum posts and the 'zeitgeist' will fill that time far before I start having to resort to the 'collection of free shit'.

Is a 60hr game worth 20% of my year of gaming? Unless it's FromSoftware, Nintendo, or Sony first party, Very few are, and if they are, I'm quite happy to buy them outright.

That's why 4-10hr single player games are the best - chew on all the interesting mechanics but no grind, and allows for 30 to 60 different experiences a year,

Don't get me wrong, Bug Snax, CyberShadow, The Medium, all came through the freebies, but I play those, because I would have bought them.

11 hours ago, partious said:

This is one reason why I can't quite relate to the xbox gamepass hype on gaming forums. Most of us seem to have pretty shocking backlogs of unplayed games that we actually decided we were interested enough in to pay for. There are more games out there that I'm actually interested in than I have time to play.

Games can generally be picked up dirt cheap if you wait even a few months so a monthly subscription to temporarily access a selection of games from Microsoft that might have a few you want to play but not others you want to play doesn't quite strike me as the deal of the century it's being presented as on forums. What do you do when the game you actually want to play at the moment isn't on gamepass? Buy it and "waste" your gamepass subscription time?(at least if you have unplayed games on your shelf you're not paying a monthly fee not to play them). Don't buy it and spend your bit of free time playing some gamepass game you're less excited about because it's "free"?

I used to think psplus was a good deal with its "free" games until I realised I'd been paying it for about 6 years and played about 4 games from it(I'm not an online gamer). 

Also, people talking about freebies as "backlog" and acting like they feel obligated to play/complete things they got for free makes no sense to me. I get all the epic and twitch games but have played almost none of them. I don't consider them my "backlog".

The comparison to Netflix is apt - if a film you like isn't on there, would you buy the Bluray/DVD and 'waste' your Netflix subscription? Whichever way anybody answers that doesn't matter, because the market (currently) supports both methods so if Game Pass is or isn't for you then so be it - it doesn't really matter, does it?

Not aimed at you @partious, more a general observation, but there does seem to be a lot of hand-wringing every so often about having too much to play/not enough time/choice paralysis. I do wonder if those keenly into film or music have these existential crises over what to listen to/watch next? @MattyPis right in that people should play if they want to and if they don't, then don't. Stop caring about any cost - it's spent, you can't change that - and just enjoy the hobby, else what's the point? Nobody on your death bed is going to judge you by how many games you played.

There was a similar thread over on Era a little while ago talking about backlogs and people were saying that having them actually caused them some anxiety. I honestly can't comprehend that over something that's meant to be *fun* and completely in the control of the individual.

The free games don't really work on me either now. I really struggle to remember to get my Games on Gold, and I don't even download any of them. 

I'm sure we've all spent a small fortune in sales too just to add games to our collection on the off chance we get the sudden urge to play it when it's not on sale. 

Now it's just an embarrassment of riches. I can't even look at Steam these days.

But I think Game Pass has helped me focus a bit on the games I do play. In a similar way to things like Netflix for movies. If I have something new I bought, it's top of the pile. So that helps. I shouldn't even look at the list. When I do, I still the end up browsing for ages never finding anything to invest time in but...

When something new appears it's an event. 

Despite even being old, the buzz of the "new" is still on it. People are talking about it. People are excited about it. So you give it a go. Even if you don't enjoy it you feel part of that experience. Sure, The Medium might be a bit crap, but I've had a few fun chats about that :)

If I miss that boat, the game will be dead to me despite still being available. 

I can't quote the previous posts Individually but I think the comparison of GamePass and Netflix / Spotify isn't quite right. I like Gamepass and called it a game changer when I had it.  But there's a massive barrier on Gamepass.  Hard drive space and installation time.  

If you're inspired to listen to some weird album off Spotify you're done in an hour. If you want to watch a movie on Netflix it's 90 minutes of your life.  Hell, lockdown has taught me the value of just dipping in and watching a film in the hope it turns out to be alright and I've discovered some good movies that way.  Also you can have the music and movies in the background. Watch a film while ironing. 

Gamepass inspired me to give Forza Motorsport a go. I had to delete stuff to install it and when it was ready I'd need to wipe it off again to try other stuff.  Also the inspiration to play the game was at 8pm so by the time it was ready it was after work the following day.  And when I did play, it's a 50 hour epic and not something I wanted to devote that time to.  

Now they released the Xbox Series S and that's an ideal machine for Gamepass but the usable hard drive space is tiny.  Gamepass is a great idea but it's really restrictive in a way Netflix is not. You can't just dip in and out when the games take an hour to install.

8 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I can't quote the previous posts Individually but I think the comparison of GamePass and Netflix / Spotify isn't quite right. I like Gamepass and called it a game changer when I had it.  But there's a massive barrier on Gamepass.  Hard drive space and installation time.  

If you're inspired to listen to some weird album off Spotify you're done in an hour. If you want to watch a movie on Netflix it's 90 minutes of your life.  Hell, lockdown has taught me the value of just dipping in and watching a film in the hope it turns out to be alright and I've discovered some good movies that way.  Also you can have the music and movies in the background. Watch a film while ironing. 

Gamepass inspired me to give Forza Motorsport a go. I had to delete stuff to install it and when it was ready I'd need to wipe it off again to try other stuff.  Also the inspiration to play the game was at 8pm so by the time it was ready it was after work the following day.  And when I did play, it's a 50 hour epic and not something I wanted to devote that time to.  

Now they released the Xbox Series S and that's an ideal machine for Gamepass but the usable hard drive space is tiny.  Gamepass is a great idea but it's really restrictive in a way Netflix is not. You can't just dip in and out when the games take an hour to install.

They need to sort out the xCloud to work on consoles and PCs, not just mobiles and tablets. 

The streaming is quick enough and works great but it's still not ideal having to faff with a 3rd party bluetooth controller and clipping the tiny screen to it. 

I expect it to come. I think it's going to be the main reason they focused these efforts on it but they just haven't worked out the scale and logistics yet. 

8 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

They need to sort out the xCloud to work on consoles and PCs, not just mobiles and tablets. 

The streaming is quick enough and works great but it's still not ideal having to faff with a 3rd party bluetooth controller and clipping the tiny screen to it. 

I expect it to come. I think it's going to be the main reason they focused these efforts on it but they just haven't worked out the scale and logistics yet. 

It would be great if they dropped an app for TV's to be honest. Love the GP app on the TV and hook a controller too it! :) Great for having a quick play of games although they aren't all available on xCloud. The Medium being the recent example. Guess whatever they are using on the backend isn't quite powerful enough to run it just yet.

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

It would be great if they dropped an app for TV's to be honest. Love the GP app on the TV and hook a controller too it! :) Great for having a quick play of games although they aren't all available on xCloud. The Medium being the recent example. Guess whatever they are using on the backend isn't quite powerful enough to run it just yet.

I always figured that was contractual. It's often the larger games. They might not want their games running on mobile. Maybe they'll allow it on console.

Just now, AK Bell said:

I always figured that was contractual. It's often the larger games. They might not want their games running on mobile. Maybe they'll allow it on console.

That would make sense. I guess The Medium would be not really a great game to play on a mobile screen anyway.

6 minutes ago, MattyP said:

That would make sense. I guess The Medium would be not really a great game to play on a mobile screen anyway.

You're probably right too though. I don't think there has been a X|S exclusive on there yet. 

I watched the first 5 episodes of the mandalorian, loved it, haven’t watched it since. Same with the expanse except I just finished season 4. I can’t watch tv any more. It just doesn’t hold my interest. I play like 2 games a year (solidly, for many hours) and read books and that’s about it. My gf keeps trying to get me to try new shows with her but the idea just exhausts me. Too much crap available and it just seems like anesthetic

edit: writing “just” 4 times in 1 paragraph is excessive

Slightly related but not - I had a moment today where I browsed a GOG sale and was tempted by a discounted game... only to stop and think about if I already had the same game in my Prime Gaming library (I did.)

I can see why people use those all-in-one clients and/or keep databases of their owned games...

2 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Clicked the link, clicked on Relate, instantly got Floyd vibes. Very good.

Haha, it’s funny, I’ve always had Floyd comparisons but I don’t really like them myself. I don’t mind, I know they’re well regarded and it’s generally a compliment, but it’s just not my thing. Except it clearly is. 

I've actually got fairly good at dealing with stuff like this during lockdown. I'm locked down on my own, so making sure I have a steady stream of stuff to do has been nigh on essential. So I just make sure I only have a couple of things on the go at once, and am disciplined about when I do said things. 

So I'm currently playing Hitman 3 and Days Gone and watching Better Call Saul and Long Way Up. Hitman is my daytime go to; I'll play it in little sections during the day if work goes quiet and will normally give it a spin at lunch. When I'm eating said lunch I'll watch half an episode of Long Way Up.

Then, in the evening, I'll play Days Gone, a big game to get lost in. Hitman doesn't get a look in during the evenings because I'm playing Days Gone. At around 9pm I'll watch one episode of Better Call Saul and no more. 

The above might sound a bit mad and restrictive but it means I'm cutting down that feeling of "what should I do next... ah shit there's so much to choose from!" I still have issues when it comes to films, there's just so much choice and it takes a real effort to pick something that you're locked into for two hours, even though all life is at the moment is a series of hours needing to be filled... Picking something and sticking with it has really worked for me, and this year I've already finished Miles Morales, Final Fantasy X, Mario Galaxy 100% and Demon's Souls. Wheras before I'd never finish games because I'd just jump between them in a bid to try and play everything. 

Absolutely nailed it there.  I remember going to Ear-Ere records and looking across the 99p cd singles and picking ones with an interesting cover and going home and hoping I'd like whatever rubbish I picked up.  Or hearing of a movie and stumbling across it in Blockbuster a few months later and having my memory jogged.

Last week I read on this forum that people were enjoying the horror film Bloody Hell, so I watched it. The total time spent between hearing about the film for the first time and having watched it was 98 minutes.  There's a good side to that and you can get used to having instant access to everything but it take away any mystery, or sense of attainment somehow. 

I think they call it Paradise Syndrome, where someone wins Euromillions and fulfils their dreams of buying a big house, posh car, home cinema or helicopter or whatever.  They suddenly realise they have everything they ever wished for and become completely depressed because there's nowhere left to go