Retro gaming magazines that aren't UK Retro Gamer

If you want to know why that weirdly focused Retro Tech magazine exists I can solve the mystery for you.

It's a full reprint of something they published back in 2009. Two of the pages have ads that are obviously out of date but they didn't even replace the ads.

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 13.28.07.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 13.30.05.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 13.30.35.png

If you want a list of actual Retro Gaming magazines that aren't @strider's finest I did a series on all the print magazines available in the UK last year so here's some examples.

Fusion, by @boyo covers everything Retro  - https://fusionretrobooks.com/collections/fusion-magazine

Crash and ZZap have both been brought back in various quarterley and annual forms by Fusion Retro books too.

image.png.489ede41948e86caf6e076e6e1b04dcf.png

Freeze64 is a C64 magazine - https://freeze64.com/

image.png.f064bd4fa2e0ce37003f80a7e990efbe.png

Amiga Addict is a new Amiga magazine - https://www.amiga-addict.com/

image.png.4169e8948d6927fdae8156e593f63ea0.png

Eight Bit - https://eightbitmagazine.com/

image.thumb.png.b97b8d105a06dc36cccbf2f872c30fa6.png

Ninty Fresh covers all Nintendo - https://nintyfresh.net/

4 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

The state of this.

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 13.33.52.png

You might laugh but I have actually found myself delving through old Android stuff occasionally during one of my strange urges that I get to play old games. Games I used to play on my original Galaxy S scratch the itch occasionally. 

They are a bit older, but I also had a good session going through an old 2 gig zip file I have of Java games that I used to play on my old Nokias. There are ports of things like Metal Slug and then plaform-exclusive versions of things like Splinter Cell and Elder Scrolls, that I'd completely forgotten about!

The early days of iOS are ripe for a decent exploration by a publication like Retro Gamer, but I have my doubts that a mag that has "Remember These?" as the headline on its front cover is going to do a satisfyingly deep dive.

Anyone remember iOS? What were all that about, eh? All those apps with that circular drop shadow, eh? And those pure black backgrounds. What were all that about? Remember Tilt to Live? What about Rolando? Eh? Does anyone remember things?

1 minute ago, K said:

The early days of iOS are ripe for a decent exploration by a publication like Retro Gamer, but I have my doubts that a mag that has "Remember These?" as the headline on its front cover is going to do a satisfyingly deep dive.

Anyone remember iOS? What were all that about, eh? All those apps with that circular drop shadow, eh? And those pure black backgrounds. What were all that about? Does anyone remember things?

Just like the Wii one, this is a reprint of a guide to iOS apps from a decade or so back. I can’t imagine there’s a market for it.

8 minutes ago, K said:

Anyone remember iOS? What were all that about, eh? All those apps with that circular drop shadow, eh? And those pure black backgrounds. What were all that about? Remember Tilt to Live? What about Rolando? Eh? Does anyone remember things?

Hang on... your user name... Are you Peter (K)ay?

12 hours ago, strider said:

Interestingly we were doing ios reviews long before mags like gamestm were.

Have you ever done anything about old Java phone games like those ports I mentioned above (Splinter Cell, Elder Scrolls)?

Seems that for a time, probably in the late 00s, it was quite normal for AAA releases to also have a 2D version made for mobile phones. I never saw them marketed or available for sale though, so I think maybe they were only done for certain regions. 

12 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Have you ever done anything about old Java phone games like those ports I mentioned above (Splinter Cell, Elder Scrolls)?

Seems that for a time, probably in the late 00s, it was quite normal for AAA releases to also have a 2D version made for mobile phones. I never saw them marketed or available for sale though, so I think maybe they were only done for certain regions. 

It’s a bit like that period where major 3D franchises would get weird 2D versions on the GBC.

21 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

It's funny you should mention that. We're doing an article about early mobile phone games from the early noughties in the very next issue.

It's outside our usual 15-year rule of course, but they don't look modern in the slightest, so I felt they were worthy of inclusion.

7 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

This was my job for a few years. I did lots of Marvel games including two Hulk games and a Fantastic Four one. Also Call of Duty, Ducati and California Games. There were a mad amount of handsets to support but I was in the team which made the 7 reference builds (certain res, memory etc.) which were then passed on to the porting team. I think we supported over 3,000 phones.

The games were sold in the UK, for around a fiver each at the start. I think they ended up on places like Jamster in the end.

Here's a review of my California Games port on IGN:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2005/10/06/california-games

1 hour ago, carleton said:

This was my job for a few years. I did lots of Marvel games including two Hulk games and a Fantastic Four one. Also Call of Duty, Ducati and California Games. There were a mad amount of handsets to support but I was in the team which made the 7 reference builds (certain res, memory etc.) which were then passed on to the porting team. I think we supported over 3,000 phones.

The games were sold in the UK, for around a fiver each at the start. I think they ended up on places like Jamster in the end.

Here's a review of my California Games port on IGN:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2005/10/06/california-games

Amazing. Sorry for probably pirating your work in the 2gig torrented zip file I mentioned that I had, that seemed to include just about every Java game ever released. 

There were so many of them, I remember ports of things like Chucky Egg and old computer stuff that people had ported over too, presumably this was homebrew though. 

4 hours ago, christaylor said:

Darn it, I've just ordered both available issues of Amiga Addict thanks to you lot. It was - ironically - the image of the old Games-X weekly mag in one of the sample pages that sold me on it.

I was in Games-X once!

That is all.