Is Ray Tracing all that?

So after all that...

Metro Exodus will run at 4K / 60FPS with full Ray Traced lighting throughout on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. The base game and DLC expansions will feature both our ground-breaking Ray Traced Global Illumination (RTGI) and the Ray Traced Emissive Lighting techniques pioneered in The Two Colonels expansion across all content.

The next gen consoles will benefit from dramatically reduced loading times thanks to our use of their SSD storage optimizations, boast 4K texture packs, and a range of platform specific features including spatial audio and controller latency improvements on Xbox, and support for the haptic features of the PlayStation 5 Dual Sense controller – anyone who’s frantically tried to pump up the pressure on their Tikhar in the middle of a pitched battle will be able to imagine the kind of thing we’re aiming for!

We’re targeting 1080p on Xbox Series S, but the other benefits above will apply, including 60 FPS and full Ray Traced lighting throughout.

We’re also working on additional polish and quality of life enhancements, including the ability to change FOV for the first time in a Metro game.

These Gen 9 console versions will release later this year and will be available as a FREE upgrade to all current owners – and we’re delighted to confirm that we will support Smart Delivery on Xbox to deliver this upgrade.

https://www.metrothegame.com/news/the-metro-exodus-pc-enhanced-edition-announced-plus-more-details-on-our-ambitious-gen-9-console-upgrades/

Even the pauper Series S gets ray tracing at 60fps (albeit at 1080p)! Be interesting to see how good this is.

and a little summit summit for the PC version. Interesting that its going to be a completely separate version that requires an RT card!

For PC players, we’re taking advantage of our new Fully Ray Traced Lighting Pipeline and the latest GPU-capable hardware from NVIDIA and AMD to offer the ultimate Ray Traced experience – the Metro Exodus PC Enhanced Edition.

This upgrade is so extensive, it will require a Ray Tracing capable GPU as the minimum spec, and we will need to deliver this version as a separate product – it is not a simple ‘patch’ to the base game – instead it will be offered as an extra entitlement to all existing Metro Exodus PC players.

The PC Enhanced Edition will offer additional Ray Tracing features, including Advanced Ray Traced Reflections and support for DLSS 2.0 on NVIDIA hardware, which offers sharper image details and increased framerates and display resolutions.

Applying the same philosophy as our Xbox and PlayStation upgrades, this PC Enhanced Edition will be FREE to all existing Metro Exodus owners on the Epic Games Store, Steam and GoG. You can expect the PC Enhanced Edition to release later this Spring.

Well there’s no way the console version is snake oil salesman shit!

Console: 4K / 60FPS with full Ray Traced lighting throughout

PC: Fully Ray Traced Lighting Pipeline... additional Ray Tracing features, including Advanced Ray Traced Reflection

I mean it’ll be interesting to see what it ends up being but basically it sounds like they’ll be some hint of RT on console so they can say it has it with 4K/60.

On 15/02/2021 at 22:37, thesnwmn said:

I mean it’ll be interesting to see what it ends up being but basically it sounds like they’ll be some hint of RT on console so they can say it has it with 4K/60.

Their engine uses a built-in DLSS alternative, which explains how they freed up the resources to get a full RTGI solution running, it's not native 4K/60fps. The consoles still don't have enough grunt to do GI and reflections together.

The real interesting test will be RDNA2 vs Ampere on PC. On consoles, they have a custom RT solution, while on PC, it has to go via DX12U.

Their CTO is great, a no bullshit person so I'd be confident they can deliver on XSX and PS5 what he claims they can.

He says a bunch of interesting things in this interview:

https://wccftech.com/4a-games-tech-qa-rtx-3000-is-in-a-different-league-for-rt-but-amds-approach-is-more-flexible/

At 4A Games, we already do custom traversal, ray-caching, and use direct access to BLAS leaf triangles which would not be possible on PC.

I have been playing cyberpunk and control this year and have to admit that going back and playing Valhalla everything looked flat and videogamey, even when I thought it looked really good. When I first saw ray tracing I felt like I could not quite tell if it looked better. But once you get used to it everything else looks flat or maybe cartoonish. I can’t quite find true word. 

• 2 months later...

I think this a good video for showcasing Ray Tracing.

The most interesting thing for me, though, is how they have announced 60fps and RT on PS5 and Series X. This is also being achieved by Returnal, and I think it bodes well for this gen getting Ray Tracing in a good number of games at 60fps. I do realise that neither game is going to be as graphically intensive as games that come out in a few years, though.

On 21/02/2021 at 12:03, Oz said:

I have been playing cyberpunk and control this year and have to admit that going back and playing Valhalla everything looked flat and videogamey, even when I thought it looked really good. When I first saw ray tracing I felt like I could not quite tell if it looked better. But once you get used to it everything else looks flat or maybe cartoonish. I can’t quite find true word. 

I went back to check on some Skyrim mod updates the other night and it was genuinely heart-breaking. Flat lighting and wrong shadows all over the place. The colour of the sky/atmosphere wasn't having any effect on any surfaces, either.

Screen-Shot13.png

Screen-Shot12.png

It's just not good enough when coming back from RT.

On 28/04/2021 at 19:17, layten said:

Old school lighting: Here is the artist taking 28 minutes to setup the scene.

RT: Here's the light, done.

I still don't think it ends up being that trivial. Instead of spending ages setting up the light (for more than 28 mins, I think), then if you want a room to have softer lighting you have to change the room. If want a light in a particular place, then that needs to be at a certain time. Better hope it doesn't rain. 

But yeah, it's still better. Just a new headache .

• 2 weeks later...

The Metro Exodus Ray-Traced only Enhanced PC edition came out last week.  Ive been playing it , and it runs brilliantly and the lighting is gorgeous.

I never played the non enhanced edition TBF, so I cant compare it to the original.  But as an example of what lighting can look like, its a real winner.  The "get the train from the hanger" indoors level was gob-smacking in the lights/shadows department.  I suspect the DLSS 2.1 implementation is really helping the performance here (Ultra everything @1440p with DLSS on Quality is giving me 90fps -ish on my 3080)

Also, Nvidia have just released the marbles RTX demo for PC users:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/software/nvidia_s_marbles_tech_demo_is_now_available_to_download/1

Grabbing that now!

Edit: update now Ive run it.  

1.  I needed to edit the settings file, as by default is assume a minimum of 11Gbs of VRAM, and my 3080 only (!) has 10.  Crashes back to desktop if I don't change it.

2.  It looks amazing.  The light and shadows and reflections are superb. 

3.  Performance is a mixed bag.  Varies between very smooth one minute and a slideshow the next, and its not clear what effects are suddenly tanking the framerate...

193873710_Omniverse-KitScreenshot2021_05.10-20_13_48_77.thumb.jpg.da89a84ab2a2b2b63fd89b8473b28584.jpg

There's  a video of the Xbox versions here,  I don't think it does a great job of selling it,  tbh, but it gives you an idea of what you're getting.  

On 10/05/2021 at 18:24, Valver said:

1.  I needed to edit the settings file, as by default is assume a minimum of 11Gbs of VRAM, and my 3080 only (!) has 10.  Crashes back to desktop if I don't change it.

2.  It looks amazing.  The light and shadows and reflections are superb. 

3.  Performance is a mixed bag.  Varies between very smooth one minute and a slideshow the next, and its not clear what effects are suddenly tanking the framerate...

193873710_Omniverse-KitScreenshot2021_05.10-20_13_48_77.thumb.jpg.da89a84ab2a2b2b63fd89b8473b28584.jpg

it felt to me like memory filled up and then everything just tanked in a paging frenzy. Main reason is because if you reset to the start your performance remains fucked

• 2 weeks later...

See how good that looks? Imagine being able to control the camera, and thus the vectors of light hitting your eyeballs through the two-dimensional screen. That's what I find so breathtaking about ray-tracing.

Videos look great, but the effect doesn't really hit hard until you're in control.

Really? I honestly look at that Lego video and think ‘so what?’ It just looks like what I expect games to look like.

I think it looks really nice. It looks “next gen” at least.

They might be on to something if they were to release a game that just let you build Lego like that and then perhaps populate it with animated objects…

Doom had a ray tracing patch and they do the slide over comparison thing and I’m like ….whatever.

We are in danger of entering a world where everything is a splotchy mismatch of coloured bounce lighting

17 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Doom had a ray tracing patch and they do the slide over comparison thing and I’m like ….whatever.

We are in danger of entering a world where everything is a splotchy mismatch of coloured bounce lighting

Ray-tracing is anything but a "splotchy mismatch". If you could come round to my house Cyberpunk's hyper-realistic lighting would absolutely fucking blow your tits clean off.

Static videos don't do dynamic lighting any justice.

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

Ray-tracing is anything but a "splotchy mismatch". If you could come round to my house Cyberpunk's hyper-realistic lighting would absolutely fucking blow your tits clean off.

You need to work on your chat up lines. 

6 hours ago, Fallows said:

Yeah I bet it’s nice. Not so sure about the game but anyway..

When I say splotchy I am referring to the bounce lighting. 
I’ve been decorating for the last year and when I put masking tape up it bounces light across the walls and completely throws me off and often I’m going over bits I think I’ve missed but find it’s just the tape.

Damn you science. Time to patch nature.

7 hours ago, ZOK said:

Really? I honestly look at that Lego video and think ‘so what?’ It just looks like what I expect games to look like.

what a misery guts you are 

Ray tracing is definitely splotchy when the density isn’t high enough, I remember seeing the same thing when using Maya. It looks absolutely awful in Watch Dogs Legion on the next-gen consoles.