Loop Hero - Your New Obsession

3 hours ago, spork said:

Does that player stat section get updated with in battle buffs and debuffs? Pretty sure it doesn't.

Yeah pretty sure you are right.

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

99% sure that it affects all units, friends and foe. And it can have a massive impact on battles. Many buffs are only triggered on receiving damage, some are time based. Also, summoned units can give buffs on death, so in some cases you want everything do die more quickly.

Makes sense, thanks.

Played this all afternoon and finally took down the lvl 1 Lich with evasion equipment. I'd come really close with vampire kit as well but was only one hit from winning when he killed me! It was getting quite boring because I'd done a bunch of cycles where I'd reach the boss loop and on that particular loop get my arse kicked (often from something like a blood giant or a stubborn quest mob), leaving me with not enough health to tackle the Lich and so I'd have to crawl back to camp instead of face him. Got there in the end though and excited at all the new stuff that's now available, I did a few trial loops of level 2 before I ducked out. Haven't tried the Rogue yet so might give that a shot.

The auto-pause feature has been a godsend because last night I kept falling asleep whilst playing (I was very tired!), but no penalty involved. Lovely. Quite enjoying this although it can get a bit repetative when you aren't getting unlocking new things to shake it up. I presume that will become less of an issue over time as I heard there are a lot of synergies and builds to play with as you progress.

31 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Yeah pretty sure you are right.

Makes sense, thanks.

Played this all afternoon and finally took down the lvl 1 Lich with evasion equipment. I'd come really close with vampire kit as well but was only one hit from winning when he killed me! It was getting quite boring because I'd done a bunch of cycles where I'd reach the boss loop and on that particular loop get my arse kicked (often from something like a blood giant or a stubborn quest mob), leaving me with not enough health to tackle the Lich and so I'd have to crawl back to camp instead of face him. Got there in the end though and excited at all the new stuff that's now available, I did a few trial loops of level 2 before I ducked out. Haven't tried the Rogue yet so might give that a shot.

The auto-pause feature has been a godsend because last night I kept falling asleep whilst playing (I was very tired!), but no penalty involved. Lovely. Quite enjoying this although it can get a bit repetative when you aren't getting unlocking new things to shake it up. I presume that will become less of an issue over time as I heard there are a lot of synergies and builds to play with as you progress.

Having played many, many hours in the last few days, there are times where nothing really happens. Especially if I have chosen a very specific build and strategy. I spend a lot of time waiting for the right items to drop. However, the potential depth of strategy is huge. I've unlocked almost everything now and have made it to the level 3 boss a few times but declined to take it on, choosing to walk away instead. I have had a few crazy runs where everything worked and I cruised through but more runs where i've failed after a few loops as the game is still heavily rng, even with the huge amount of control over strategy that is available.

I haven't found a specific use for the Rogue yet, and I'm still a little puzzled as to his item acquisition (there doesn't seem to be any benefit to the way it works), but I demolished the chapter 2 boss with the Necromancer without starting with a specific plan. I'd definitely chosen perks that were useful in the fight, so it'll be interesting to see how flexible things are across the classes and abilities. I have been very much relying on attack speed and counter / retaliation builds, just trying to rapidly face tank the bosses.

I believe the advantage with the rogue's item acquisition is that it allows you to draw cards at a higher rate because the weapon tokens don't count against your drops (i.e. if a creature would have dropped two [things], with another class that could be two cards, two weapons, or a card and a weapon; with the rogue it'll always be two cards, plus a weapon token). I could be wrong, but I believe that's how it works.

The rogue's other main benefits are sniping solo enemies thanks to their crit ability and weapon slots, and the stacking bonus they get allowing for faster stat growth - e.g. it's easier to get to 75% evade for them when they're getting a 10% bump for every extra piece of evasion equipment.

I think they suffer for arriving for most players when you're onto the second level, whose boss is entirely unsuited to their strengths; a bit of awkward design, that, as it introduces you to them at their worst.

20 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I believe the advantage with the rogue's item acquisition is that it allows you to draw cards at a higher rate because the weapon tokens don't count against your drops (i.e. if a creature would have dropped two [things], with another class that could be two cards, two weapons, or a card and a weapon; with the rogue it'll always be two cards, plus a weapon token). I could be wrong, but I believe that's how it works.

The rogue's other main benefits are sniping solo enemies thanks to their crit ability and weapon slots, and the stacking bonus they get allowing for faster stat growth - e.g. it's easier to get to 75% evade for them when they're getting a 10% bump for every extra piece of evasion equipment.

I think they suffer for arriving for most players when you're onto the second level, whose boss is entirely unsuited to their strengths; a bit of awkward design, that, as it introduces you to them at their worst.

Really good point about the 2nd boss. I got there on my 2nd run with Rogue and despite being really powerful, I just couldn't quite beat it. Got down to about 20% so almost. I switched to Necro and beat the 2nd boss quickly.

11 hours ago, Sabreman said:

I'm still a little puzzled as to his item acquisition (there doesn't seem to be any benefit to the way it works

It negates the loot-punish you get for those towers which have friendly soldiers inside

Ah. I've not used those much, and not on Rogue. What usually concerns me is when they have 12+ items in the bag, then get to camp and it rapidly spills out, overflowing the inventory. I always think "What if I just lost the best item in the gaaaaaame....".

There is one type of loot that I need and I believe that it only drops from one enemy, which I am having real trouble killing. I've been trying to work out how to kill it more consistently without dropping back to level 1 or 2 to farm it. I need to take a closer look at the perks and character choice to see if that can help.

I'm not looking for an answer, just sharing. This is definitely the type of game where so much of the enjoyment comes from self-discovery and experimentation rather than execution.

2 hours ago, Sabreman said:

Ah. I've not used those much, and not on Rogue. What usually concerns me is when they have 12+ items in the bag, then get to camp and it rapidly spills out, overflowing the inventory. I always think "What if I just lost the best item in the gaaaaaame....".

I don't think number of items in the bag = number of items to drop. I've had 40+ before now and I'm pretty sure the number of items in the bag impacts quality more than quantity.

Yeah, that's very ambitious! For me in level two the scariest things were the bandits, they could kill most skellies as soon as they were summoned especially if there were 2 or 3 bandits, leaving me open to getting minced. I lost 2 or 3 runs due to them and decided to just rotate villages out of my deck and relied on ruins and vampires and groves for most of my exp.

I try to keep an Oblivion card on hand for when I'm about to spawn a bandit camp. They really are more trouble than they're worth, and you can get into trouble alarmingly quickly even if you're breezing the rest of the loop.

I don't tend to find bandits too annoying except for their unfortunate tendency to steal/break equipment; the enemies that I always oblivion are goblins, the fast-spawning, fast-attacking little buggers!

I've been making quite slow progress with this, took me longer than I'd like to figure out I needed adjust how I was playing to focus more on keeping the loops easy, not playing all my cards, farming lots of materials to actually expand my base a bit and get some additional buildings. 

Unlocked rogue not long ago, am finding it really fun! Getting max evasion is fucking amazing. 

Its definitely fun and worth experimenting with going all in on a particular stat bonus like evasion or regen, can make the loops really interesting! 

Every time you attack, you'll also deal the [damage all] amount of damage to every enemy on screen. Worth noting that it's 'normal' damage rather than magical, so any armoured enemies will reduce said damage accordingly.

Had lots of fun with the Rogue this afternoon stacking attack speed instead of evasion. It gets a bit ridiculous when you get over 100% but it's even more so over 200% - the third bar above the hero that's not the health or attack timimg (which I'm not sure what it is) started to run out on tougher enemies.

The third bar is stamina, and it's consumed whenever you attack or evade; once it runs too low you can no longer evade or attack until it recharges. It's a bit weird from a balancing perspective, as it punishes you for investing in attack speed, particularly if you're going for an evade build.

11 hours ago, Wiper said:

Every time you attack, you'll also deal the [damage all] amount of damage to every enemy on screen. Worth noting that it's 'normal' damage rather than magical, so any armoured enemies will reduce said damage accordingly.

Great explanation, many thanks 

I think it's a huge failing of the game that the stats are not explained anywhere.  Like, I shouldn't have to google what the effects of ambiguous stats like 'Skeleton Level' and 'Skeleton Quality' are!

It really is a fabulous little game though. Very unique.  I'm still yet to even try and fight the first boss!  

4 hours ago, robdood said:

I think it's a huge failing of the game that the stats are not explained anywhere.  Like, I shouldn't have to google what the effects of ambiguous stats like 'Skeleton Level' and 'Skeleton Quality' are!

It's strange to me how many games have borrowed liberally from Slay the Spire but then ignored one of its greatest strengths - a clear and concise explanation for every aspect of the games mechanics. 

Yeah 100%.  

Here's the pre-dinner run-in-progress.  Actually gonna go for the boss this time!  Taking it nice and slow and building up my gear.  How good is my little chain of treasuries? :D

loooop.thumb.jpg.b69c7b015c988281960204692979c9e9.jpg

Think Rogue's my favourite class so far.  Necro is interesting, feels quite different!  But Rogue is :wub:

I was going to complain about the ridiculous grind for Food Supplies to upgrade your watchtowers, but then I unlocked

Spoiler

Alchemy

... oh boy:hat:

24 hours into this, the thing I'm missing from Slay the Spire is that element of randomness in the synergies and trying to make do with what you get, scraping through with some ridiculous cobbled-together build.

Like with the Necromancer, once you unlock and figure out how to use

Spoiler

Suburbs/Towns the trait pool is small enough and so many of his traits work well together that you're almost certain to get a good run. I almost always get the 3 strong skeletons and skeleton kills fully heal them every single run now, which can get some of them around the entire loop if you're lucky.

If you get the one where damage to you is split amongst your skeletons and skeleton deaths heal you, you're laughing as long as you can spawn them quick enough. Here's me taking on a loop 8 Hunter still wearing an otherwise-crappy level 3 amulet with Max Skeletons +1 on it and nothing but Max Skeletons +1 on both rings because that made me near-untouchable, even though my Skeleton Level was only just staying about par for each loop:

870646793_LoopHeroScreenshot2021_03.18-04_30_06_53.thumb.png.01f70388eed1ca4655051e3b37573240.png