IGNORED

Games with great HDR. Mark Rothko debates included for free.

JoeK

So, I've only fairly recently got a TV that can do HDR, and that's by hooking up my PC to it, as currently I'm console-less!

Now, I'm fully aware that HDR on PC games isn't the best anyways, but in general what games are considered 'good' for it?

This afternoon I was giving a few things a run-in and because I'm honestly not the best at judging these things, but these are what I've garnered so far...

1. Cyberpunk is fucking awful with HDR turned on

2. I cannot see any noticeable difference in RDR2

3. Horizon looks pretty great indeed - incredibly vibrant and noticeable superior with HDR on

4. Death Stranding - as befits a game running on the same engine as Horizon, it looks super

Any other games ones that I should give a whirl? 

Also - if there has been a thread on this sort of thing before, I apologise and quite happily will accept assimilation as and when required ;) 

23 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Now, I'm fully aware that HDR on PC games isn't the best anyways, but in general what games are considered 'good' for it?

I don't know if that is true. I think it's down to the devs more than anything. 

Forza Horizon 4 looks lovely as does the last COD (in MP at least) and maybe the new one but I don't that's much of a game. 

It's also pretty good in FS2020.  

I can't really think of any others just now but that's as much due to me accepting it as the norm. 

Just now, Mike S said:

Those are not available on PC! 

That's okay - when I do get a PS5 I've got a rather huge library of games ready to be redownloaded and played!

(Got shot of my PS4 quite a while ago now!)

@JoeK On PC the top two games are Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and Doom Eternal. Gears 5 on PC is also reasonably decent as I recall. I think Jedi: Fallen Order is also not half bad, but I can't quite recall of that's accurate. Otherwise ... lol, there's not much.

Overall, HDR on PC is a bit of a shit-shower other than Doom Eternal. id really have shown all other PC devs how it's done - it just works when you turn it on in game, irrespective of whether it's on in your desktop settings.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

2. I cannot see any noticeable difference in RDR2

Just on this. RDR2 is one of the worst implementations of HDR I have ever seen. Rockstar should just have not bothered. 

The actual worst implementation I've seen is Monster Hunter World on PS4, that was fucking woeful. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Oz said:

Are we doing full stops in thread titles now? This is madness. 

Brexit has put a demand on these things. Blame the wankers who voted for it, not me. 

(I want to live in a brutal dictatorship)

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

It looks amazing with HDR turned on to me. I tried turning it off, and it just looked darker.

It might well be me not understanding HDR settings as well as I possibly should! I seem to have two different HDR modes to choose from and despite tinkering with the balances everything just looks far too washed out for my liking! 

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

No, Zok is "wrong" on this. The HDR on Cyberpunk is total nonsense, it absolutely does not use the high range of High dynamic range.

Zok may like how it looks, but there are people who like Mark Rothko "artwork"...

Hey, don't you be down on Rothko - as long as you see it in the flesh as opposed to a shitty little A4 size image of the thing, then he's very good indeed!

Better than that arsehole Kandinsky, for sure ;)

Well this is the thing - if ‘good HDR’ is purely subjective, then the HDR in Cyberpunk 2077 is amazing because I am the alpha aesthete and arbiter of good taste here and I deem it so - that’s a given.

If ‘good HDR’ is about measuring it on a chart and repeating what other people tell you, then that’s just silly.

So what I’m saying is, if HDR is entirely subjective, who cares whether it’s good or not.

4 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Better than that arsehole Kandinsky, for sure ;)

Had to google that, I'm not an art critic (until I see dogshit overrated art like Mark Rothko), but he at least appears to have some style.

This ...

la-et-cm-mark-rothko-painting-sothebys-auction-001

Sells for fucking millions and is something I could come up with when I was 11 years old. 

Just now, Strafe said:

But what if you just happen to think it looks good is that ok

See the second sentence of my post you quoted, but conveniently left out. ;)

Art, like beauty, is indeed in the eye of the beholder. But I know when HDR isn't right, and I could tell immediately that Cyberpunk's HDR wasn't (and still isn't) right.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

No, Zok is "wrong" on this. The HDR on Cyberpunk is total nonsense, it absolutely does not use the high range of High dynamic range.

Zok may like how it looks, but there are people who like Mark Rothko "artwork"...

hey so on this note of wrong opinions about HDR I have had a good experience with anything playstation I have tried on my new OLED. Horizon in particular. However, ghost to tsushima looks really dark. have I fucked something up or is this a know issue? I have only just started so could this just be a because the first level is at night? what do you guys think?  

4 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Well this is the thing - if ‘good HDR’ is purely subjective, then the HDR in Cyberpunk 2077 is amazing because I am the alpha aesthete and arbiter of good taste here and I deem it so - that’s a given.

If ‘good HDR’ is about measuring it on a chart and repeating what other people tell you, then that’s just silly.

So what I’m saying is, if HDR is entirely subjective, who cares whether it’s good or not.

could this not just be the monitor you are using? what are you watching it on? I have heard HDR is shit. I am playing on my computer monitor so have not even bothered with bringing the PC out to the living room. you are making me think that maybe I should give it a go and maybe I would like it. 

Just now, Oz said:

hey so on this note of wrong opinions about HDR I have had a good experience with anything playstation I have tried on my new OLED. Horizon in particular. However, ghost to tsushima looks really dark. have I fucked something up or is this a know issue? I have only just started so could this just be a because the first level is at night? what do you guys think?  

Hmmm, as I recall the HDR in GoT is pretty decent ... HANG ON! There's a "High contrast" or some such setting that completely fucks it. Turn that off. 

Just now, Oz said:

could this not just be the monitor you using? what are you watching it on? I have heard HDR is shit. I am playing on my computer monitor so have not even bothered with bringing the PC out to the living room. you are making me think that maybe I should give it a go and maybe I would like it. 

I’m watching it on an LG CX oled.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hmmm, as I recall the HDR in GoT is pretty decent ... HANG ON! There's a "High contrast" or some such setting that completely fucks it. Turn that off. 

I will search through the settings. I thought I had turned everything off but you know how these new TVs are. the menus are all fucked up. HDR is hard work man. 

6 minutes ago, Oz said:

maybe I will give it a go. maybe thor is just lacking the right gear and has an inadequate peasant's TV. :D

Nice try..

i9 9900k processor

2080ti GFX card

32GB ram

And my TV is an LG C9 (which, by the way, has a higher peak brightness than your LG CX*)

Spoiler

The difference between the C9 and the CX is apparently microscopic. But that doesn't matter. MINE IS BRIGHTER THAN YOURS!! :P