Super Mario World - Original Samples for the OST found and now all being restored !

That’s so geeky, and I don’t think I can see any real value in it, but it’s nevertheless a fascinating little peep behind the curtain. Until now, I guess these tracks were only ever heard in this form by a handful of Nintendo employees. 

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

Also this is great:

I soooo want that as my ringtone!! 

And the more I listen to it the more I think the tempo of it makes it scream out ""Answer me..... ANSWER ME god damn it". 

NEED :)

Jesus. As someone who has a passing interest in synths and music creation (I was sat up last night fucking around with a DX7 clone 'till 2 in the morning) hearing these Nintendo tracks in all their electronic glory is wonderful. I often have my little Snes Classic just plugging away in the bedroom for a bit of ambience, my bedroom is next to my living room so I often wander from one to the other throughout the evening. Need a break from the latest 3D megathon, just mosey next door for a quick race on F-Zero or Mario Kart. 

Anyway, this means I get to hear a lot of these game's soundtracks almost daily, love them, but listening to them here, uncompressed, oh my. They're actual pieces of art, masterpieces. Those Mario tracks sound incredible. I've never been one to listen to game music outside of games but that's just changed. In the process of sourcing and keeping these forever.

Anyone know if Super Castlevania IV has had such treatment in the past, or do we need to wait for a Konami leak?

I'm amazed at how this works out, it's so backwards to how I imagined it. Having worked on Protracker on Amiga myself, it's always been an assumption that the musician composes the music and it just gets stuck into the game when it's done.

I knew the SNES did some clever sample compression, but this way seems like it would be heartbreaking for the composer, creating all the music for the game then hearing all your work in the finished product being so poor compared to what you made.  It's akin to creating the pixel art in 256 colours then having the programmer knock it all down to 8 colours after you did all that work.

3 hours ago, amc said:

Anyone know if Super Castlevania IV has had such treatment in the past, or do we need to wait for a Konami leak?

The best thing we’ve had so far are the soundtrack releases from the 90s (like Akumajo Dracula Best 2, which is worth looking out for). I’d love to hear the uncompressed soundtracks as well, unlikely as it might be.

2 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I knew the SNES did some clever sample compression, but this way seems like it would be heartbreaking for the composer, creating all the music for the game then hearing all your work in the finished product being so poor compared to what you made.  It's akin to creating the pixel art in 256 colours then having the programmer knock it all down to 8 colours after you did all that work.

I think this is overstating it a bit. Composers in those days were very well aware that the final product was going to be the compressed soundtrack, and (as far as I’ve read) most of them did the sound programming themselves. So I imagine that they were pragmatic about the whole thing.

23 minutes ago, DeDeDe said:

The best thing we’ve had so far are the soundtrack releases from the 90s (like Akumajo Dracula Best 2, which is worth looking out for). I’d love to hear the uncompressed soundtracks as well, unlikely as it might be.

Will have to search that out. Some of the tracks from that game are like the best prog rock I've ever heard, that's how they come across to me. So much so It puts ELP to shame. Love it.

2 hours ago, DeDeDe said:

I think this is overstating it a bit. Composers in those days were very well aware that the final product was going to be the compressed soundtrack, and (as far as I’ve read) most of them did the sound programming themselves. So I imagine that they were pragmatic about the whole thing.

Yeah I get that but what I mean is I'm used to creating music that uses the 8 bit samples of the Amiga and creating music for a project where you start with something rough then polish it to the finished product. Like, if you rip off the Funky Drummer loop you sample it into the Amiga and lose the quality of the original sound before you begin. Once you polish and make your music sound as good as you can it's finished and goes into the game. 

Must be weird to be working on the music knowing it is a higher quality than the finished product is going to be.

5 hours ago, womble9 said:

I soooo want that as my ringtone!! 

And the more I listen to it the more I think the tempo of it makes it scream out ""Answer me..... ANSWER ME god damn it". 

NEED :)

Got it!! Love it that much that I'm almost tempted to go scrawl a lewd offer and my phone number on a wall in the local park toilets so I can listen to it go off all night!!

If anyone else is a bit crap at sorting things like this then here's a link to the guide I used:

:)