The Artful Escape (PC/Xbox)

MattyP

Been thinking about this since I completed it on Friday, it really has left me with food for thought.

What if a band/artist  premiered an album using this format, letting the fans explore the themes and deeper meanings via an audio visual journey in a way a booklet or music video could never promote the material at hand.

Just keeps on getting better and better, doesn't it?

Absolutely the best game I've played in the last few years, and by a pretty huge margin.

It reminds me of something Douglas Adams might have written.

£13.99 on Steam - I've have happily paid a lot more.

Joyous experience.

15 minutes ago, JoeK said:

It reminds me of something Douglas Adams might have written.

I can't disagree with this, it really doesn't take itself too serious (and all the better for it) and this game is a perfect bite sized piece of entertainment that really did manage to entertain me from the opening scene to the closing credits. 

It's now all too rare that I mange to finish a game with a big grin on my face, utterly satisfied with what I was given.

I do, of course, appreciate the epic adventures we're given with some of the AAA games but a lot of those seems to trend towards outstaying their welcome by padding out all the progress with meaningless fetch quests and an endless grind for materials you need to upgrade some gloves that grants you the possibility to pick a flower without dying or something silly like that. I mean, I do like epic quests but  to send me on a six hour trek just to be able to pick a flower or catch a fucking trout doesn't make me smile very often. 

In less than the average length of, say, a main story quest chapter in Ass Creed Valhalla, The Artful Escape has taken me on a journey through the birthplace of the main protagonist and then sent (spoilers ahead)

Spoiler

to the outer reaches of the universe, rocking out with alien overlords (and a snowman), starting dance parties in a spacestation and a jungle, escaping the law and starting a revolution on another planet, finding my own voice and plotted out a path for my future!

This is of course not an apple for apple comparison but I'm happy that there are developers who still focus on making games that aims to simply entertain, even if it is for a brief few hours. 

I have a really weird problem with this game, it sends me to sleep! I really enjoy it but there is something about it that, and I have no idea what, causes me to doze off. I'll be going through a text bit and realise that I fallen asleep and haven't pressed the a button to continue, which is one thing, but I'll also fall asleep while moving through the envirnoment, and I'll suddenly wake up and realise that I'm still actually holding right on the joystick. It's making it very very hard to actually get through it!

46 minutes ago, Valver said:

Just finished it. 

Glorious.

Best game of 2021.  Grinning form ear to ear.

I don't think there's going to be anything that'll beat it for me. I'm excited about a few other games coming out, but I suspect this will be the only game this year that has made me genuinely happy throughout and giddy with pleasure from beginning to end.

It's absolutely mesmerising, wonderfully funny, and laced with some tender emotional beats too.

Plus, Calvagio.

I’m a few levels in and have found it ok but I’ve certainly not had the same incredible experiences most here seem to have had.

The backgrounds are nice but I don’t particularly like the art style of the characters and I don’t really find it funny. I’m not sure I even like the music much.

On the one hand it seems mean spirited to criticise a game which is intended to bring such joy and positivity, but, there’s just not much to it. The platforming is barely a thing and the Simon (tm) game play can become a bit irritating, especially as the buttons and colours don’t properly correspond with those of the Xbox controller, it’s a small thing but it’s snagged me a couple of times. 

It just hasn’t resonated with me to any great degree, but I’m hoping I might feel differently when I’ve finished, I can’t see it changing too much though. 

Also for a game which sells itself on its admittedly impressive visuals, the frame rate suffers something chronic (Xbox Series X).

(legs it)

I'm conflicted on it. I enjoy many of the encounters with the weird characters but the story isn't really moving me one way or the other, and it's pretty but does verge on being a bit Lisa Frank at times.

image.thumb.jpeg.deb6eb2131d9de08f98e5c20873057ae.jpeg

Also finding the frame stutters distracting, and that stuff rarely bother me. 

34 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’mso for a game which sells itself on its admittedly impressive visuals, the frame rate suffers something chronic (Xbox Series X).

(legs it)

Really? Runs buttery smooth on my ancient PC! :) (GTX 980ti based)... 

Hate to be that guy but I found this nothing more than an average time waster. There's no game there and as a "walking sim" it has absolutely no substance, the whole game is basically flashy psychedelic eye candy with a complete bobbins story attached to carry you from scene to scene.

A couple of moments raised a smile but seeing this compared to Douglas Adams makes me just shake my head in disbelief. 

Glad I played it but it won't be one I'll remember the name of in 6 months time.

Anyway I won't rain on anyone's parade - I just felt I needed to comment for some balance of opinion here.

8 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Hate to be that guy but I found this nothing more than an average time waster. There's no game there and as a "walking sim" it has absolutely no substance, the whole game is basically flashy psychedelic eye candy with a complete bobbins story attached to carry you from scene to scene.

A couple of moments raised a smile but seeing this compared to Douglas Adams makes me just shake my head in disbelief. 

Glad I played it but it won't be one I'll remember the name of in 6 months time.

Anyway I won't rain on anyone's parade - I just felt I needed to comment for some balance of opinion here.

Indeed... not everyone's thing I guess...and everyones experience is personal to them. I'd say its a Interactive art experience... Much the same way Journey, Flower etc etc are. 

I like it...nice break from traditional games...   :) 

As a break from Assassins Creed : Odyssey, I’m finding this charming. First ten minutes like one of those quirky 80s teen movies starring John Cusack or someone, then it goes all Bill & Ted. Only been playing a couple of hours so far…

3 hours ago, Mortis said:

I’m finding it to be one of those painfully twee rich kid hipster fake nostalgia games that there seem to be so many of these days. There’s something that troubles me about them - might be me being old and grumpy, might be the waxed moustaches covered in cold brew espresso that I imagine programming from their condo in Portland as they code some faux poignancy from their position of unfathomable privilege.

Can you see how hard it is for me to enjoy anything?

Having said all that - it does seem much better than most of the other ones. I will keep at it for a bit. 

I get that its not challenging or has much in the way of hardcore souls like gameplay or its a bit hipster try hard  cos its probably made by young hipsters but I really enjoyed the 2 hours I spent with it last night. Headphones on full blast I was enthralled.

and Appollo Creed come on.........

Spoiler

nFC1fQA.jpg

I'm about halfway through, but I don't want this to end. It's glorious. :D

It always looked good from the trailers, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite this good. People have said it already, but it does feel like Bill and Ted written by Douglas Adams by way of Sayonara Wild Hearts. 

Played over two hours more tonight. GLORIOUS experience. Loving every minute it. It's not a game. Its an audio visual art experience. Love how you can get creative with the guitar making tunes as you run and jump through the trips.

Fantastic stuff. And this is why I love interactive entertainment! No other medium brings experiences like this to us! :)

Well done Annapunra taking this onboard and Beethoven & Dinosaur for developing this. Oh finally MS for picking this up for GamePass a service that keeps giving....

Looking forward to exploring further trips.. going to drag this out as I don't want it to end....

One thing to add for anyone yet to experience this gem. WEAR EARPHONES. TURN UP THE VOLUME and ZONE OUT. This is not a game it's an EXPERIENCE....

Right... power down and jacking out.... :D 

11 hours ago, Pockets said:

I’m finding it to be one of those painfully twee rich kid hipster fake nostalgia games that there seem to be so many of these days. There’s something that troubles me about them - might be me being old and grumpy, might be the waxed moustaches covered in cold brew espresso that I imagine programming from their condo in Portland as they code some faux poignancy from their position of unfathomable privilege.

14 hours ago, Pockets said:

Can you see how hard it is for me to enjoy anything?

Having said all that - it does seem much better than most of the other ones. I will keep at it for a bit. 

But then we get bland "cookie cutter" games that are so generic and formulaic....

There is room for all types of experiences I guess and we don't have to like everything. 

Finding this incredibly refreshing. Sure the mechanics are pure formulaic and to all intense and purposes its a basic platformer but its all in the delivery.... 

I go through stages of loving gaming then getting extremely tired of it. Then something like this pops up...like this.. or Gris... or Flower.... or Journey basic mechanics and simple premise but just great to chill too. See recently The Magnificent Trufflepigs too... which kind of also falls into this category for me.