The Artful Escape (PC/Xbox)

MattyP

I would argue that even describing it as a “basic platformer” is being kind. I suppose it is on a rudimentary level, but just about. My 7 year old could knock up a level in Mario Maker within minutes that is a hundred times more engaging. 

I'm enjoying it so far although not that far in.

But the performance on X is surprisingly bad. So many stutters. I've force closed it after a morning session and will restart this evening in the vague hope that it might do better after not being quick resumed.

46 minutes ago, MattyP said:

But then we get bland "cookie cutter" games that are so generic and formulaic....

There is room for all types of experiences I guess and we don't have to like everything. 

Finding this incredibly refreshing. Sure the mechanics are pure formulaic and to all intense and purposes its a basic platformer but its all in the delivery.... 

I go through stages of loving gaming then getting extremely tired of it. Then something like this pops up... Or Gris... or Flower.... or Journey basic mechanics and simple premise but just great to chill too. See recently The Magnificent Trufflepigs too... which kind of also falls into this category for me.

Yes. I think the key is to understand that, as some others have pointed out, it's 'not a game' in the way that curmudgeonly middle-aged men like me understand them. That doesn't mean it's bad - it seems like a fun interactive experience - a digital pop-up book - and when you accept that's what you're getting, which is much easier when it's 'free' on game pass, then you can enjoy it for what it is. I've found I'm able to do that, but I'm not really enjoying it as a 'game' because it isn't one, that fits my perhaps narrow definition at least.

37 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I would argue that even describing it as a “basic platformer” is being kind. I suppose it is on a rudimentary level, but just about. My 7 year old could knock up a level in Mario Maker within minutes that is a hundred times more engaging. 

On a purely mechanical level, sure.

As an interactive experience, it’s great.

30 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

But the performance on X is surprisingly bad. So many stutters. I've force closed it after a morning session and will restart this evening in the vague hope that it might do better after not being quick resumed.

It's silky smooth on my S. It was the same for Omno a few weeks ago - ran fine on the S, but seemed to stutter on the X. I think that was patched to fix the problem.

Seems odd that these games struggle on the more powerful hardware.

1 minute ago, Darren said:

Probably as its running on 4K with all the bells and whistles turned on. 

Surprising it makes it through testing though...

3 minutes ago, Darren said:

It's silky smooth on my S. It was the same for Omno a few weeks ago - ran fine on the S, but seemed to stutter on the X. I think that was patched to fix the problem.

Interesting. Maybe will play it in bed on the S instead then if it continues.

56 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Yes. I think the key is to understand that, as some others have pointed out, it's 'not a game' in the way that curmudgeonly middle-aged men like me understand them. That doesn't mean it's bad - it seems like a fun interactive experience - a digital pop-up book - and when you accept that's what you're getting, which is much easier when it's 'free' on game pass, then you can enjoy it for what it is. I've found I'm able to do that, but I'm not really enjoying it as a 'game' because it isn't one, that fits my perhaps narrow definition at least.

It is the annoying problem these days - the term 'videogame' has become an almost redundant catch-all term that doesn't really do any justice to stuff like this. And whilst I absolutely loath the term 'interactive experience' (I find it tiresome and pompous), I honestly struggle with working out what a better term might be :(

So, it is my game of the year...without being a 'game' in the strictest sense of the word.

Which kind of grinds my gears somewhat.

56 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Surprising it makes it through testing though...

I’ve seen so much unforgivable shit make it into release (or even day-one-patched) code of late that literally nothing surprises me anymore.

I now imagine these outsource testing companies just use a random name generator to add 300 people to the game’s credits roll, and testing is actually what you see in Mythic Quest: two people, on a couch, flirting with each other.

44 minutes ago, JoeK said:

It is the annoying problem these days - the term 'videogame' has become an almost redundant catch-all term that doesn't really do any justice to stuff like this. And whilst I absolutely loath the term 'interactive experience' (I find it tiresome and pompous), I honestly struggle with working out what a better term might be :(

So, it is my game of the year...without being a 'game' in the strictest sense of the word.

Which kind of grinds my gears somewhat.

I don’t like it either, I’d say it’s a game in every sense of the word - an interactive experience, to me, is something you do in art galleries or museum tours. 

The voice on that Calvagio :lol:

14 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

cos its probably made by young hipsters

You could hardly accuse Johnny Galvertron of being a hipster.  A non ironic, deep love of Stan Bush and the greatest movie ever made is far beyond hipster territory.

18 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

You could hardly accuse Johnny Galvertron of being a hipster.  A non ironic, deep love of Stan Bush and the greatest movie ever made is far beyond hipster territory.

Yeah it doesn’t feel hipster-ish so much as naive, in terms of game play anyway. It’s not something like Night In The Woods which is far more knowing. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

That is really weird, no stutters just smooth 60fps throughout? 

Yeah, unless I've just got totally lost in the psychedelic funky grooves I've not noticed a single problem whatsoever.

6 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Yeah, unless I've just got totally lost in the psychedelic funky grooves I've not noticed a single problem whatsoever.

It’s weird, on mind it’s sometimes very smooth, flawless even, and then it gets jerky for no reason as it doesn’t seem to be under any extra burden graphically or whatever. 

30 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s weird, on mind it’s sometimes very smooth, flawless even, and then it gets jerky for no reason as it doesn’t seem to be under any extra burden graphically or whatever. 

Is it installed on an external drive or the internal SSD? 

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

I don’t like it either, I’d say it’s a game in every sense of the word - an interactive experience, to me, is something you do in art galleries or museum tours. 

The voice on that Calvagio :lol:

A game is an interactive experience... actually I'd go as far as saying Electronic Interactive Entertainment- game is far to simple catch all term these days.... Wasn't it Edge that even coined the term "The Future Of Interactive Entertainment"... or something anyhow...

33 minutes ago, MattyP said:

A game is an interactive experience... actually I'd go as far as saying Electronic Interactive Entertainment- game is far to simple catch all term these days.... Wasn't it Edge that even coined the term "The Future Of Interactive Entertainment"... or something anyhow...

Yeah it’s all interactive experiences or interactive entertainment, I just think in this instance that phrase is being used when anyone wants to discuss the game play or offer criticism. To me the praise all seems to be for the audio visual aspect of it, but the game play is a part of it too, and perhaps not quite as good as the rest of it, or even lets it down as ‘an experience’ I find it does for me. 

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Yeah it’s all interactive experiences or interactive entertainment, I just think in this instance that phrase is being used when anyone wants to discuss the game play or offer criticism. To me the praise all seems to be for the audio visual aspect of it, but the game play is a part of it too, and perhaps not quite as good as the rest of it, or even lets it down as ‘an experience’ I find it does for me. 

You could say the same for Rez to some degree, it's on rails you move a cursor and press a button. 

Still a sublime experience.