The Artful Escape (PC/Xbox)

MattyP

Just now, cassidy said:

You could say the same for Rez to some degree, it's on rails you move a cursor and press a button. 

Still a sublime experience. 

Rez is Panzer Dragoon with Tron visuals, I love Panzer Dragoon and I love Tron, there’s more to it than how you describe though, the game play is great imo. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Rez is Panzer Dragoon with Tron visuals, I love Panzer Dragoon and I love Tron, there’s more to it than how you describe though, the game play is great imo. 

But am I doing anything other moving a cursor? 

I'm not berating Rez in any way, Christ knows I've bought it enough times. 

Panzer dragoon gives you more movement than Rez doesn't it iirc.

2 minutes ago, cassidy said:

But am I doing anything other moving a cursor? 

In not berating Rez in anyway Christ knows I've bought it enough times. 

Panzer dragoon gives you more movement than Rez doesn't it iirc.

No, it’s pretty much the same. And yeah you’re lining up shots and creating combos, learning patterns and waves, etc. 

I’ve no problem with the game play in Artful Eacape btw, platforming is fine, rhythm action is fine, it just doesn’t do either that well imo, to the point it may as well not be there. 

Just finished this and have no clue what some people are on about calling it a hipster game? What on earth is a hipster game?

The Artful Escape is an audio and visual masterpiece. Period.

This is a game where the reward (and point) is the progressing visuals, with the mechanics just being a delivery system. Halfway in and the 'platforming' has been meaningless as a game mechanic but fine as a way to navigate, which is all it is. A thatgamecompany-style game where either the visuals either are or aren't enough for you. Whatever genre the gameplay fits into is just an excuse, it being a competent and challenging Mario platformer would break what it tries to do.

For me it's the quality of the music that lets this down. Just directionless, derivative noodling for most of it, and that undermines the story it's trying to tell. 

The game sort of acknowledges this at the end but I'd rather it just had a better score.

On 13/09/2021 at 11:12, metallicfrodo said:

I have a really weird problem with this game, it sends me to sleep! I really enjoy it but there is something about it that, and I have no idea what, causes me to doze off. I'll be going through a text bit and realise that I fallen asleep and haven't pressed the a button to continue, which is one thing, but I'll also fall asleep while moving through the envirnoment, and I'll suddenly wake up and realise that I'm still actually holding right on the joystick. It's making it very very hard to actually get through it!

This is exactly my experience. 100%. I think it's brilliant but it keeps putting me to sleep. In a way it's kinda a complement. It's like an exercise in 'flow' and mindfulness.

46 minutes ago, Quest said:

For me it's the quality of the music that lets this down. Just directionless, derivative noodling for most of it, and that undermines the story it's trying to tell. 

The game sort of acknowledges this at the end but I'd rather it just had a better score.

Yeah you can just stop now. 

I think it's very impressive and the creative vision of the artists has obviously been achieved and them some.  Sounds fantastic , looks amazing.  

But... On my 3rd session I somehow find I'm just not that bothered.  Like, I've seen what it does and yesterday's hour was enough. 

Quite the experience, but I'm done now.

I really wanted to like this. It exists at that exact junction of music games, arty games and walking simulators that in theory is right up my street. 

Sorry, I just find it boring. Totally unengaged with the characters, the setting or the music. I’m just pushing right all the time then skipping through dialogue boxes. 

Never mind, such is Game Pass. Glad everyone else is having fun. 

I finished it last night, I was waiting for some more Calvagio but it never arrived. 

I definitely would have preferred a shorter game, the main levels are the best bits, the talky bits in between, not so much. 

Very generous with the achievements if that’s your thing. 

On 14/09/2021 at 18:36, alex3d said:

Just finished this and have no clue what some people are on about calling it a hipster game? What on earth is a hipster game?

The Artful Escape is an audio and visual masterpiece. Period.

Yup.  After you get your space guitar it just absolutely blew me away. Absolutely love it. The visual and audio are just so good.  I've taken so many screen shots and small video clips. Not often I want to post screenshots to the devs and say "wow, thanks"

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

This really is staggeringly beautiful at times. The art team are incredibly talented. I really hope they make a Bill & Ted Trilogy next. :) 

I think there are only six of them. Which bang for buck is pretty amazing. 

You know that bit in the game Journey? The bit where you're sliding down a slope of sand and the music kicks in and it feels just joyous? It's like the creators of The Artful Escape thought about it and decided "You know what this needs? A guitar to totally shred while you're doing that!"

And that's a lot of the "game" here. And I loved it. Head over heels in love with it. Sure, it's not Dark Souls. It's not Mario. It's not Gitaroo Man. They've designed this to be as frictionless as possible because the challenge here isn't can I make that jump or can I keep in time. They've kept the platforming simple so you can concentrate on the joy of sliding along while looking as cool as possible. They've made  it so when freestyling you always sound good.

Downsides? Playing on PC on the first night it wasn't as smooth as I'd like (I think they may have patched it because it was great today.)

And the opening feels very very hipster. I was giving it some major side eye with what I thought was going to be a manic pixie girl side plot.  Best way to describe the opening hour. Garden State: The Game. But then it takes a hard left turn into...I don't know, Bill and Ted meets Douglas Adams crossed with The Yellow Submarine?

Loved it. One of the games of the year for me.

Also, not sure if I'm reading too much into this but there does seem to be a bit of a trans acceptance narrative in the game. Spoilers for those not far in.

Spoiler

Leaving aside caterpillars /moths which is a metaphor about change regardless of gender there's the option of leaving your name behind and dressing in non-gender conforming ways later on. I'm not alone in thinking this, there's an article up here exploring this at https://www.thegamer.com/the-artful-escape-trans-queer/

Anyway it's on gamepass. It's the best four hours of concentrated joy you'll have this year.

On 14/09/2021 at 01:12, carlospie said:

GOAT. 

How is it on ps5? 

I wouldn't hold your breath. From 2017 https://gamingbolt.com/the-artful-escape-dev-on-exclusivity-cant-go-back-after-seeing-4k-on-xbox-one-x-dev-kit

However, at E3 2017, The Artful Escape creator Johnny Galvatron had truly transcended from music to game development. As the lead guitarist for The Galvatrons, he decided to bring his game to consoles via the Xbox One and Xbox One. Of course, it’s coming to PC as well but why not other platforms?

GamingBolt spoke to Galvatron about the same and he said that he made the decision, “After seeing it play at 4K on the dev kit. Can’t go back after that.”

He also noted that the platformer would be receiving Xbox One X support and that native 4K and 60 frames per second were on the cards. Which is a good thing because The Artful Escape already looks pretty amazing. Imagine what it would look like in 4K/60 FPS.

Johnny Galvertron was on this week's official Xbox podcast (worth a sub in general. They have dev interviews of interest every so often).

They didn't actually have VO in the game until he was filling in during a half broken demo to Annapurna. They called him back after and said "we think you should have VO in the game".

Since he voices Calvagio makes sense. 😁

Absolutely adored this on the Series S.  Luckily had moved it to be on my 4k telly for a couple of weeks when i started it - not sure a small 1080p monitor would've done it justice.

It's up there as one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had, but with the caveat that it's barely a game.  But that didn't matter to me - I was just too heavily seduced by the sights and sounds to give a shit that I wasn't really 'doing' much.  The perfect game to play at night during a particularly stressful week.