The Artful Escape (PC/Xbox)

MattyP

1 minute ago, rgraves said:

I didn't notice anything at all when I played it. so, YMMV depending on how sensitive you are to that stuff - I'm clearly not very sensitive lol

Yeah. It's not game breaking or anything. Didn't effect my enjoyment in the slightest

Just finished up on this.... what an experience! :) 

One of more memorable of this medium for me... completely out there and well just a whole bunch of fun and smiles... the visuals and sounds are just completely... well... out of this world. :D 

Anyone considering playing this should don a pair of 'phones and crank the sound up! 

In the end the odd bit of slowdown had no impact on the experience - it was at its worst in the warp turtle level after this seemed to settle down. Not sure what was so taxing about that particular bit.... 

Yet another win for GamePass... :) 

I noticed the odd bit of slowdown in places but it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the game either. Nice and easy quick completion as well which I enjoy in between the mammoth courses some larger games become. A palet cleanser if you will.

On 04/10/2021 at 11:59, K said:

I really wanted to like this, and after the rather twee intro I was very much on board with the Wes Anderson version of Bill & Ted vibe of the story. But my god, the music is absolutely killing me. I just hate the music, it's awful.

When you've got a game about music, and the story is about the power of music and involves musicians who are supposed to be the greatest musicians in the galaxy, and whose music is so amazing it can cause shifts in the faultlines of the cosmos itself, then you really have to nail the music. Obviously, it would be unreasonable to expect it to literally be the greatest music in the galaxy, but as with any story about fake musicians who aren't supposed to be terrible, there's a fairly high bar to clear in terms of actually selling the fact that they're supposed to be good.

With this, the music is just aimless, formless, endless guitar shredding over synth washes. It's the same all the way through - non-stop space metal noodling. Fair play if you like it, I'm not trying to take anyone's enjoyment of the game away, but for me, it falls so far short of the cheque that the story is trying to cash that it's borderline comical. Like, I like a bit of noodling - I don't mind listening to Pat Methany or a bit of jazz-funk improvisation - but I'm about two hours into the game, and it's just been the same sound all the way through. It doesn't develop or change. There's no structure. It's just a solo, on one instrument, for hours.

It just seems like such a wasted opportunity. I like the story, I like the themes of reinvention, I like the references to Bowie and Dylan, the dialogue and voice acting are excellent, but the music is like background noise. It's like Bowie walking out as Ziggy Stardust for the first time and just playing a guitar solo for an hour, to an increasingly bored and angry crowd, or Bill & Ted coming on stage at the end of Bogus Journey and just shredding rather than playing an essentially throwaway but catchy and satisfying pop-rock song. I feel like the game's going for all the accoutrements of being a rock star, without the tricky bit of creating music.

What a waste.

This absolutely nails my thoughts on the game.

The visuals are outstanding, but the music is probably the most forgettable music in a game I've played this year.

I’m also in the “music is not quite consistently good enough camp”. I actually really enjoyed (and preferred) the folk music at the beginning of the game, the way it rang out from Calypso was beautiful. 

That being said I did think the music picked up towards the end, I think a shorter run time would have really helped. If the game was the length of a normal album I don’t think the lack of gameplay would have been so apparent, and perhaps the music quality would have been consolidated. I wonder if the developers didn’t feel like they could make a video game that short as it might make consumers feel short changed. This could be an area that subscription models (I’d pay for Annapurna Plus) can really add some value.

one thing I would add about the visuals, is it’s the first time I’ve ever really been amazed by the sharpness of an image. The sheer pin point clarity of the lasers and, especially, the projections had me in a state of disbelief at points. The fact the story calls out the quality of the visuals over the music was interesting. 

It’s a 8/10 for me. 

When you're 'platforming' is the only play music button X? I tried changing it up a bit with the other buttons and he just stopped playing, but reading this thread I assume it's not just holding down X, occasionally releasing and pressing again to triple jump?

8 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

yep. It's a game that requires little to no skill whatsoever. Hence why it's great for some of us who need just such a lack of challenge. I still failed the simon says bits like 20 times. 

Completely agree. More of an experience than a game really.

Actually found myself playing in "real time" to the Simon says bits towards the end just seemed a bit easier than trying to remember the whole sequence and replying it... actually felt a bit like your were playing with the boss type thing than just doing a Simon says type thing... if that all makes sense... :D 

27 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Completely agree. More of an experience than a game really.

Actually found myself playing in "real time" to the Simon says bits towards the end just seemed a bit easier than trying to remember the whole sequence and replying it... actually felt a bit like your were playing with the boss type thing than just doing a Simon says type thing... if that all makes sense... :D 

hah. I did exactly the same.