IGNORED

Zapped to the Past podcast (C64)

Unofficial Who

2 hours ago, squirtle said:

Yeah I know. My comment was not meant to be flippant and may have come across that way. 

Note to self: stop posting when drunk and tired. 

Is this P2 or PP? 

NP, I didn’t take it that way. I was talking about Pitstop II. I think Buggy Boy has the best track routine on the C64.

1 hour ago, Unofficial Who said:

Yep, although I played both of those back in the day when I had infinite time and patience. I'm enjoying using your podcast to revisit old games and check out ones I didn't get to play back in the day but nothing could get me to play Tim Love's Cricket. My C64 came with a dire cricket game that I actually taped pokes and saves over. This one looks worse.

I think with Shadowfire and other games of it's ilk (Zoids springs to mind) Max Headroom had to be the inspiration with guiding or protecting people using a GUI.

There's three things about Shadowfire I can't get on with.

-The tiny map screen.

-The indistinct icons, especially the three "TV's".

-That constant drone in the background.

I don't think I ever played the game of Max Headroom. Is it worth going back to look at? 

10 minutes ago, carleton said:

NP, I didn’t take it that way. I was talking about Pitstop II. I think Buggy Boy has the best track routine on the C64.

What about Power Drift? That felt really dynamic in comparison to the rest. 

4 hours ago, squirtle said:

Actually, I played a load of Elektra Glide when I was younger. How does that stack up? 

I’d forgotten about that one, I remember it being really smooth. Just watched a video and it’s lovely looking. I will say the portion of screen used for the actual track is quite small.

I played a lot of Speed King, that was a nice game.

18 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Never played it! Look forward to you reviewing it in issue 13.

I seem to remember it was all about the music... 

16 minutes ago, carleton said:

I’d forgotten about that one, I remember it being really smooth. Just watched a video and it’s lovely looking. I will say the portion of screen used for the actual track is quite small.

I played a lot of Speed King, that was a nice game.

We just did Speed King for episode 6... I'll say no more... 

14 hours ago, squirtle said:

It does if a little sparse. But it really was the tune that made me keep driving in that game. 

Speaking of the music it's what kept me driving in Spy Hunter back in the day, Digging it out I did notice that it keeps the arcade game's vertical ratio by only using the centre of the screen. But outside of the arcade it's never been comfortable, the C64 version required a second joystick to use the more interesting weapons like oil slicks and failing strapping the sticks together or having a second player manning the weapons I used to play this as a more sedate version of Bump'nJump.

Besides the nice music other draws were destructible landscapes (well the guardrails at least) and pulling into theback of the truck Knight Rider style.

SpyHunter_Animation1.gif

Revisiting this and....I'd rather play the twitchy Midway Arcade Classics port on the 360. Almost as twitchy but looks loads better.

10 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Speaking of the music it's what kept me driving in Spy Hunter back in the day, Digging it out I did notice that it keeps the arcade game's vertical ratio by only using the centre of the screen. But outside of the arcade it's never been comfortable, the C64 version required a second joystick to use the more interesting weapons like oil slicks and failing strapping the sticks together or having a second player manning the weapons I used to play this as a more sedate version of Bump'nJump.

Besides the nice music other draws were destructible landscapes (well the guardrails at least) and pulling into theback of the truck Knight Rider style.

SpyHunter_Animation1.gif

Revisiting this and....I'd rather play the twitchy Midway Arcade Classics port on the 360. Almost as twitchy but looks loads better.

That gif was my experience of this. And using the second joystick for extra weapons... Madness!

I still remember vividly when I bought Cauldron, I found a budget release and I was so happy having played and completed (with cheats) Cauldron 2.

It cost $10AU which was standard for C64 budget games in Australia (full price games on cassette went for about $24.95AU.)

As mentioned in the podcast Palace were going for the Ultimate feel.

The instructions looked like this.

274px-Cauldron_Instr_Scroll_01_English_M

Sadly even with cheats I could never finish it, First screen of Bounty Bob? No problem. Any platform screen here? Nope, too hard for me. Which is a pity because it's one of the best looking games on the C64. The sprite work and background work is a masterclass in pixel art. You can see loads here at https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/Cauldron

Here are a couple of examples.

Cauldron_Cottage_Flyby_Ani.gif

Cauldron_Cave_Hemlock.png

Both Cauldron games were too hard (where Sacred Armour and Rimrunner were too easy) but for me they beat out the Ultimate efforts on the C64.

I've been using this podcast as an excuse to replay old games but even the hosts couldn't get me interested in these ones. And who could blame them?

Tir Na Nog

I salivated over the screenshots but it was never distributed in Oz and by the time I tried it many years later I found it attractive but confusing. What I was looking for in games like that had already been long satisfied by other C64 arcade adventures.

Ten years later a remake was announced.

Um....yeah.

Tim Loves Cricket

I can't think of anything more boring to play on a computer.

Super Huey

This always looked ugly in the screenshots and I scratched that itch by playing A.C.E which I think came out at around the same time.

12 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Great to have another c64 game podcast, the only other one I know of is Sprite Castle. I'm going to listen to both episodes tonight. 

That's awesome. Hope you enjoy it and glad to hear any feedback. 

To all who have listened, be aware that the first two episodes, that's May and June, were recorded before we restructured the podcast. We didn't think we would talk quite so much and ended up with well over three hours of material that we didn't want to get rid of so we split rach ep into two parts. From ep 3 onwards, we realised this and structured both parts accordingly. 

I enjoyed the first episode and I'll give the 2nd a listen later. The only feedback I would give is if you are doing a zzap gimmick it would be a nice touch to give the magazine score after each review and maybe a few lines that they said about each game.

Other than that I'm on board.

2 hours ago, dave7g said:

I enjoyed the first episode and I'll give the 2nd a listen later. The only feedback I would give is if you are doing a zzap gimmick it would be a nice touch to give the magazine score after each review and maybe a few lines that they said about each game.

Other than that I'm on board.

Good to hear you liked it. 

We did consider doing that, but at the start we were very concerned about keeping any connection with Zzap at a distance so as to avoid any accusations of legal impropriety. Since then, we've incorporated a little more as we've come to understand what is OK under fair use etc. 

Is it Pathfinder or Pastfinder? If the latter, I used to love playing that, even though I really didn't have any idea what I was supposed to be doing. I should probably revisit it armed with instructions.

Activision put out some really good C64 games in those days. Same with their Atari output.

So, Give My Regards to Broad Street. How did I find it? I didn't . There was no way I was going to subject myself to a game which looks like The Last V8 with Band on the Run playing on a loop.

My memory of this game is limited to seeing someone ahead of me in K-Mart buying it oversize box and all. (I think it might have come with a tube map of London.) I'd gotten heavily into review magazines a year before and as a kid could only stare in horror at the mistake he was making.

So instead here's a "long" play of the game I found. All 12 minutes. Stick around or fast forward to the end reward of a pixellated McCartney busking an off key version of Band on the Run which manages to be a worse rendition than the in game version.

You're right about those sidewalks. The player in the long play seems to use them as brakes and is there any traffic in the game?