The Falcon and The Winter Soldier - on Disney+ from 19 March

Nick R

On 12/04/2021 at 02:28, Broker said:

Is it? I've watched them all recently but I can't think of anything in it that expects you to have watched Winter Soldier to understand it?

I haven’t seen any of the Captain America films and don’t feel I’ve missed out on anything for the plot.

I’ve never cared for the Captain America character but out of the older marvel films, the Cap films are probably the best. Especially Winter Soldier, that’s genuinely a decent film and probably the turning point in the MCU as before then, it all reeked of average at best.

Plus Winter Solider was genuinely badass before they turned him into a chump 

21 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

The Russos confirmed that he got a ‘bootleg’ version of the serum, which was the best Hydra was able to come up with before they stole the new formula from Howard Stark.

Is that something that's actually in the films or did it need clarification? I've completely forgotten what happened in TWS.

2 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Is that something that's actually in the films or did it need clarification? I've completely forgotten what happened in TWS.

The new serum getting stolen from Howard Stark was covered in Civil War, but Bucky’s status has always been a bit more vague. All we knew for sure was that he was experimented on by Hydra scientist Arnim Zola for quite a while, but in TWS it wasn’t really clear if all his enhancements were cybernetic but less obvious than the arm. 

20 hours ago, GwiDan said:

I thought Daredevil and JJ season 1 were better than decent. 

Me too. They ideally needed editing down to 8 or 9 episodes, IMO (too much padding and characters clumsily recapping the plot to each other), but they were good.

Going to be charitable with TF&TWS and assume the pandemic issues and hasty rewrites caused the studio a lot of problems, particularly if as rumoured there was a now-deleted plague/virus storyline.

1 hour ago, Garibaldi said:

The new serum getting stolen from Howard Stark was covered in Civil War, but Bucky’s status has always been a bit more vague. All we knew for sure was that he was experimented on by Hydra scientist Arnim Zola for quite a while, but in TWS it wasn’t really clear if all his enhancements were cybernetic but less obvious than the arm. 

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

spacer.png

Or

The lift scene is probably all that I remember. I haven't seen the older MCU films since they were released.

On 13/04/2021 at 15:19, GwiDan said:

I thought Daredevil and JJ season 1 were better than decent. 

With Daredevil we had Fisk, the best baddie in anything Marvel, including the MCU movies.

In this we get the Tracy Beaker and the flag smashers from CBBC.

Daredevil season one was decent, I didn’t think much of JJ though but that wasn’t helped by the fact that I find David Tennant intensely annoying and a very poor actor. Punisher season one wasn’t bad either, but overall that’s a pretty poor strike rate for the Netflix shows.

Episode 3 killed this for me - I had no idea what was going on, didn't care about Falcon or the Flag Shaggers leader.  Didn't know who Sharon was and had forgotten who Zamo was.  Even though I'd seen all the films.

I'll rewatch it and episode 4 to see if it improves, but after a really strong start (Falcon fight at the beginning was amazing) - it's not a patch on Wandavision which, tbf, wasn't that great at the end either.

38 minutes ago, Purin said:

With Daredevil we had Fisk, the best baddie in anything Marvel, including the MCU movies.

In this we get the Tracy Beaker and the flag smashers from CBBC.

Killmonger >>>>>> Fisk

Killmonger was done dirty though. It was like half way through the film, they realised Kilmonger was right and black Panther and his dad were dickheads so they suddenly made him comically evil to justify killing him.

But he won in the end, with the sickest most badass last words anyone could ever utter 

In yet another example of Marvel (specifically Marvel Publishing, not Marvel Studios) being stingy about paying the creators of the comics and characters that they're adapting:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/ed-brubaker-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier/

And of course, today the FALCON AND WINTER SOLDIER show debuts on Disney+, which I sadly have very mixed feelings about. I’m really happy for Sebastian Stan, who I think is both a great guy and the perfect Bucky/Winter Soldier, and I’m glad to see him getting more screen time finally. Also, Anthony Mackie is amazing as the Falcon, and everyone at Marvel Studios that I’ve ever met (all the way up to Kevin Feige) have been nothing but kind to me… but at the same time, for the most part all Steve Epting and I have gotten for creating the Winter Soldier and his storyline is a “thanks” here or there, and over the years that’s become harder and harder to live with. I’ve even seen higher-ups on the publishing side try to take credit for my work a few times, which was pretty galling (to be clear, I’m NOT talking about Tom Breevort, who was a great editor and really helpful).

So yeah, mixed feeling, and maybe it’ll always be like that (but I sure hope not). Work-for-hire work is what it is, and I’m honestly thrilled to have co-created something that’s become such a big part of pop culture – or even pop subculture with all the Bucky-Steve slash fiction – and that run on Cap was one of the happiest times of my career, certainly while doing superhero comics. Also, I have a great life as a writer and much of it is because of Cap and the Winter Soldier bringing so many readers to my other work. But I also can’t deny feeling a bit sick to my stomach sometimes when my inbox fills up with people wanting comments on the show.

So… I’m sure I’ll watch it, and you should too if you’re a Marvel movie universe fan, but I’ll probably be waiting a while to check it out myself. So please don’t email me any spoilers, I guess, but go give Sebastian Stan lots of love wherever he is online.

And some quotes from his appearance on Kevin Smith's Youtube podcast:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/ed-brubaker-winter-soldier-residuals/

I have made more on SAG residuals than I have made on creating the character for my one line that got cut [in his brief cameo in The Winter Soldier].

There's nothing preventing anyone at Marvel from looking over how much the Winter Soldier has been used in all this stuff and calling me and Steve Epting and saying, 'You know what, we're going to try to adjust the standard thing so you guys feel good about this.'

It's just weird that they're so ungenerous to me. It's especially weird because a lot of them are friends of mine. Or people that I thought were friends of mine

There is a corporate mentality. Right now someone inside Marvel publishing somewhere is watching this and laughing that I think I got ripped off. There are people that think it's funny that I'm unhappy about it. I know for a fact because I've watched them be that way about other people in person.

I look at those credits and there's all these other executive producers [of] people who were just at the publishing level who had nothing to do with it. I know how much that EP credit actually makes you in a TV show at Disney. These people have made so much money on stuff that Steve and I did.

I know that Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting didn't create the character of Bucky. (That was Joe Simon and Jack Kirby, who had their own battles with Marvel over credit and royalties.) But given how much the movie and TV stories have taken from that run on the comic, they really should be entitled to more.

7 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

47C27942-4CA7-497C-AC8E-7895BFA1327E.thumb.jpeg.e8c52450ff0ac0d37586d2886dcd0c5e.jpeg

I found myself thinking last episode that if they were going to have him singing a nursery rhyme in a charming/sinister way they should have chosen a song he actually knew the tune to!  I'm sure they could have dredged up a suitable Sokovian classic.

4 minutes ago, Nick R said:

In yet another example of Marvel (specifically Marvel Publishing, not Marvel Studios) being stingy about paying the creators of the comics and characters that they're adapting:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/ed-brubaker-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier/

And some quotes from his appearance on Kevin Smith's Youtube podcast:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/ed-brubaker-winter-soldier-residuals/

I know that Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting didn't create the character of Bucky. (That was Joe Simon and Jack Kirby, who had their own battles with Marvel over credit and royalties.) But given how much the movie and TV stories have taken from that run on the comic, they really should be entitled to more.

Jim Starlin has also complained for getting hardly anything from Marvel for creating Thanos, basically both Marvel and DC are both terrible companies and that’s the reason why most big name comic writers and artists mainly do independent work these days.

Interesting new character introduction this week.

There's also a mid-credits scene

Spoiler

I wish Walker the best of luck with his Cap cosplay shield. That won't be vibranium, right?

That episode was excellent. I don't mind them rushing through the boring boilerplate MCU stuff in the middle if it means the interesting stuff from this episode and the first two get more time to breathe.

Looking forward to seeing if were leaning towards a new version of Shield or given the characters maybe a MCU Wildpack.

That was a better episode but leaves so much for them to sort out in the next episode.

Am i right in thinking that these are all stand-alone series at Disney? Were not expecting Wandavison Series 2 or *shudder* Birdman & Emo Boy Series?

The reason i ask is the way they've paced this last episode feels like some world building for some kind of future film / series.