The Falcon and The Winter Soldier - on Disney+ from 19 March

Nick R

Thought that was very tedious. All the boat stuff was dull. The only good scene in it was with Carl Lumbly.

And re. that toy spoiler for next week, can I be the first to coin him:

Spoiler

Captain Airmerica.

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Have to admit, I think the Flagsmasher leader suffers from one of the worst bit of miscasting in the MCU. Up there with Karen Gillan, Natalie Portman and Martin Freeman.

I'm not sure if she's a bad actress or it’s bad direction, but some of her line readings are incredibly flat. The only other thing I've seen her in is Solo and she didn’t really have enough to do in that to get any read in her talents.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Thought that was very tedious. All the boat stuff was dull. The only good scene in it was with Carl Lumbly.

And re. that toy spoiler for next week, can I be the first to coin him:

Reveal hidden contents

Captain Airmerica.

I'm hoping he just combines the two names and we get Captain Falcon 

HwqDpim.jpg

4 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Have to admit, I think the Flagsmasher leader suffers from one of the worst bit of miscasting in the MCU. Up there with Karen Gillan, Natalie Portman and Martin Freeman.

I like those 3 though.

Freeman’s problem is that he’s CIA but painted as a good guy. 

5 hours ago, Broker said:

Have to admit, I think the Flagsmasher leader suffers from one of the worst bit of miscasting in the MCU. Up there with Karen Gillan, Natalie Portman

What? They're both great, especially Gillan (No idea what their comic book equivalents are supposed to be like)

5 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Martin Freeman

Fair.

8 hours ago, SMD said:

the boat stuff was great you heartless monster, the whole show should've been sam and bucky go fishing

Spoiler

"Why didn't you use the metal arm?"

4 minutes ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

"Why didn't you use the metal arm?"

they've literally made over 20 films, let us have these shows where it's wanda is a house wife and sam and bucky run a trawler while arguing over how to make different stews

I think that Sam’s storyline and the central thread of Wandavision shows that there really is someone at Marvel who understands people will watch a sitcom pastiche psychodrama or a post-Iraq retired soldier story with these characters, but Disney evidently doesn’t have that kind of faith in the franchise.

I felt a bit sorry for them when the sister turned up with some old but manly men and basically said "that's enough boys, let the grown-ups handle it, you go and play with your frisbee".  They'd been apparently fixing it all, with just the two of them, for ages!  In a montage*! 

*great episode for montages!  You definitely need a montage.

Natalie Portman wasn't miscast, we know she's a fine actress. She seemed visibly bored in the films more so the second one). She's certainly not one of those performers who swing for the fences no matter the quality of what they're in. Hopefully she finds Love and Thunder more engaging.

I have no idea if I actually enjoy this show. I usually spend each episode aghast at dropped threads and plotholes, and what I would do differently. Also talking about how useless Falcon is all the time.

But I'm still watching it.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Natalie Portman wasn't miscast, we know she's a fine actress. 

Do we? I've only ever seen her in Leon (fine, but she was about 12), Star Wars (atrocious) and the Thor movies (mediocre in the first one, dreadful in the second). Maybe she's got a big catalogue of stuff where she's really good but I'm hardly compelled to seek it out given the evidence I've seen.

She's a good actress in non-blockbuster stuff, Black Swan, Closer, Vox Lux, Annihilation...etc, but in stuff like Star Wars and Marvel she's later-stage Bruce Willis level of not giving a shit onscreen.

32 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Do we? I've only ever seen her in Leon (fine, but she was about 12), Star Wars (atrocious) and the Thor movies (mediocre in the first one, dreadful in the second). Maybe she's got a big catalogue of stuff where she's really good but I'm hardly compelled to seek it out given the evidence I've seen.

She's amazing in Black Swan and even though I haven't seen it in forever, she was delightful in Garden State. 

45 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

I think people are going to be VERY surprised by her in 'Thor: Love and Thunder'

does she peg thor? that would be a nice surprise

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

Natalie Portman wasn't miscast, we know she's a fine actress. She seemed visibly bored in the films more so the second one.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

She's a good actress in non-blockbuster stuff, Black Swan, Closer, Vox Lux, Annihilation...etc, but in stuff like Star Wars and Marvel she's later-stage Bruce Willis level of not giving a shit onscreen.

I'm going to be unnecessarily pedantic and suggest that casting an otherwise good actor into a role that they're visibly bored by and are clearly doing to fulfill a commercial or legal obligation is the textbook definition of "miscast."

John Walker and the themes surrounding his character (i.e race, heroism, being a tool of the military) are by far the best thing about this series. It feels like that’s what the writers want the show to focus on but various other bits of the MCU have been shoehorned it. I don’t usually mind that but it feels incongruous here, and is distracting from the interesting parts. Zemo, Sharon, the Wakandans and even Bucky feel superfluous. 

Wyatt Russell has been brilliant and I hope he gets used well in the future. 

Thinking back that scene where Zemo put on his fancy balaclava for all of 30 seconds to shoot a couple of guys and then immediately take it off, just so they could go look nerds it’s his comic look, was ridiculous.

Presumably it was only shoehorned in there for the purposes of stuff like this.

spacer.png

Every time they showed the Cap shield with blood on the edge, it felt like the director was screaming how pleased she was with herself at the audience. Must've been about ten identical, lingering shots.

There were quite a few shots set up to be comic-frame, silhouetted money shots, but they all fell flat for me.

47 minutes ago, Pob said:

John Walker and the themes surrounding his character (i.e race, heroism, being a tool of the military) are by far the best thing about this series. It feels like that’s what the writers want the show to focus on but various other bits of the MCU have been shoehorned it.

Yeah, there's some connective material that the show is trying to pull together, but (ironically, given Falcon's speech to Bucky in the most recent episode) not quite prepared to put the hard work in to landing properly.

Spoiler

You have John Walker, Falcon, Isiah Bradley the symbolism of what "Captain America" would even mean to minority people in the US populace, the difference in Walker being given the shield and expecting to be immediately recognised as the hero versus Falcon in this most recent episode getting the montage of showing him working at it, the short conversation about "how even Steve couldn't understand what he was asking - how could he?" the vague allusions by Zemo to "supremacy" (we all know that word doesn't normally come alone, without being preceded by "white") and so on.

But, as you also say, it keeps being sidelined by MCU stuff. That bit with the balaclava was incredibly shoehorned, but a lot has felt like that. A smaller series with more focus on Wilson, Walker, Bucky (if needed) and Isiah might have been more successful.

I think this has been sort of all over the place in terms of pacing and whether it’s boring and trying to find its rhythm, but last ep was pretty good. They don’t make Walker very likeable and I think that could be a missed opportunity, because he’s obviously been through some shit. 

4 hours ago, Harsin said:

Thinking back that scene where Zemo put on his fancy balaclava for all of 30 seconds to shoot a couple of guys and then immediately take it off, just so they could go look nerds it’s his comic look, was ridiculous.

Presumably it was only shoehorned in there for the purposes of stuff like this.

spacer.png

I think they also do it for the classic MCU trailer bait. They were full of shots from the ten seconds Zemo had his purple hat on, clearly designed to make it look like he was the bad guy. But as usual it doesn’t go anywhere in terms of the actual plot, like that scene at the start of Endgame with Stark and Nebula in space that was completely meaningless in the context of the completed movie.