The Falcon and The Winter Soldier - on Disney+ from 19 March

Well, that was mixed.

There were bits that went nowhere and were really disappointing

Spoiler

Carly BAD, though her cause was noble and Sam took it up. Walker gets pretty much redeemed, Sam can kill 20 people with no need for introspection but Carly and the flag smashers are BAAAAAD. Bucky’s stuff got cut weirdly short. Zemo’s butler just killed all the spare super soldiers. Sharon being the Power Broker was so obvious it almost felt like a bit and really didn’t factor into this story.

However, much like WandaVision, despite the periphery characters being a bit shite, and there being some things that seemed like plot threads but turned out to be “next time on Marvel”, there was some stuff I loved.

Spoiler

Sam’s speech to the GRC people in the street was great, especially when we saw Isiah watching. I liked that he took on board Carly’s points and fought for the same thing she wanted in his own way. I also really liked that despite him having been pretty murdery in the first ep he was all about saving people this time. 

The scenes at the end where he spoke to Isiah and took him to the memorial were great and wrapped that story up really well. Isiah’s nephew/grandson coming around to Sam was well handled. I loved that he gave him the statue. I thought Sam’s personal story was really well done and wrapped up very nicely. 

So they landed the race stuff, but biffed the stuff with the military from my perspective.

All in, I’d say I feel exactly the same as WandaVision. The protagonist has a well handled, emotionally resonant and enjoyable journey. There’s not really the same traditional “villain”, with the overall antagonising force being something less definitive than a bad person (Loss/grief in WV and the victims of wider scale systemic changes here). The supporting cast were a bit wasted and some of their plots ended to abruptly. Too much time was wasted setting up future stuff. But overall they’re enjoyable to watch and impressive for TV in terms of their effects and action.

Yeah, I’d agree with the some of it landing some of it not view.

Spoiler

Can’t believe they had the cheesy ‘That’s not Black Falcon, that’s Captain America!’ in there but didn’t give Sam a ‘I can do this all day.’

And as regards set up for future stuff.

Spoiler

I guess that means Sharon will be the one leaking Stark-tech in Armor Wars.

All a bit meh. Lots of people flipping about in the dark over an ill-defined cause. Thankfully the Sam/Isaiah stuff worked really well. I do find the new Captain Airmerica suit a bit OTT though.

A terrible last episode to wrap up a pretty bad series. 

A Poor story, matched by an awful script (I was stuck between laughing and grimacing at Falcons speech to the senators). But both those issues were put in the shade by the worst crime of all, the terrible uniform. It looked like one of those kids dress up outfits that has padding built in.

A real shame as my wife and I have spent the last few weeks rewatching every MCU film. This was a bad way to end the experience. 

Yeah that was pretty terrible. People just popping up from nowhere, falcons crappy uniform and cringey speach. Overall NewCaps Dustbin Lid / 10.

Too much blue filter nighttime stuff, but overall I think that stuck the landing far more than Wandavision's terrible "they'll never know what you sacrificed by torturing them for weeks" protagonist arc resolution.

Although I'm a sucker for anything where superheroes are agents of change rather than defenders of a status quo, obv.

I’m not a black American comic book tv nerd so am unable to understand how much something like this would resonate. I am surprised that Disney Inc. would go to these subject matters though (even the refugees and American terrorism).

Whether or not it has landed with precision, they don’t talk about this stuff in the usual comic book fare. So it’s a worthwhile show. Do a Captain Cymru though and I’d cream.

I enjoyed it but it wasn't exactly great. It helps set up future MCU stuff I assume so that's something I guess. Plus it did have a Capatain Falcon mention. 

Thank fuck that's done with.

Tracy Beaker is one of the worst villains I have ever seen.

How many times did we need to see slow focus on the Shield? 

I actually felt amused by USAgent and his Lidl shield. I was hoping to see some of the dark side of Patriotism.

Good job all those cameras were rolling for that big speech....

And I'm sure everyone is feeling the same that thankfully we have Loki to look forward too. 

23 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Right well i appear to be a lone voice that enjoyed the entire thing.  Good lord at the effects quality throughout. 

Loved Caps speech at the end. And the scene when Cap took Isaiah to the museum. 

You've all gone mad. Or I'm mad. One of the two. 

Nope, I loved it too. Really good stuff at the end, which I thought was handled surprisingly deftly. That said, I do have some grumbles...

I hope that's the last we see of Karli, I realised in this episode what I dislike so much about her: Her accent. "Tonight we go to batool", "wun wowld, wun peepool" :hmm: She had about as much gravitas as Ronald McDonald.

Batroc was comically shit too, but he's just a crap actor. I trust we won't be seeing him again either.

Sam's suit is tragically bad. :lol:

That aside, I really did enjoy that episode and the series. :)

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

hope that's the last we see of Karli, I realised in this episode what I dislike so much about her: Her accent. "Tonight we go to batool", "wun wowld, wun peepool" :hmm: She had about as much gravitas as Ronald McDonald.

Frank Spencer would’ve been more inspiring. 

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

Right well i appear to be a lone voice that enjoyed the entire thing.  Good lord at the effects quality throughout. 

Yeah I enjoyed it too, I even didn’t mind the new Captain America suit as it is pretty faithful to the one in the comics.

I’ve watched the first two episodes now and eeeh. It’s not brilliant. The “banter” between Bucky and Sam feels really forced and Disney keep using that young lass from Tamworth in stuff (this, Enfys Nest in Solo, she’s in the upcoming Willow reboot sequel or whatever it is) and she’s not that good an actor yet and not convincing as the leader of the super soldiers or whatever she’s supposed to be. 

Despite not always enjoying the ride I thought they landed the last episode pretty well. Pretty obvious the budget was taken up by the first and last episodes.

Oddly, every perilous scene in the last episode looked like it was ripped straight out of Superman: The Movie.

And while obviously much slicker, Sam’s suit and all the punch ups reminded me of Luke Cage vs Diamondback. 

Oh god, that suit. :lol::lol::lol:

Not an awful ending, and the Isiah thread was nicely handled... I just wish the overall story focussed more on that. I think the show generally did a bad job of introducing characters in a way that allowed the audience to care about them. Which is a tough job, given it was a shorter show than, say, Wandavision, but had many more characters. 

I think it could have benefitted from being more focussed. The flag shaggers felt entirely superfluous in a show about Falcon, Winter Soldier and Captain America. A simple McGuffin would have sufficed. 

Not great, not terrible. Disappointing. 

21 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Did no-one in the costume department notice Sam's ears in the new costume? I couldn't stop looking at them.

I know. It was like the holes were too small. His ears looked like the knot in a balloon.

4 hours ago, cassidy said:

I really enjoyed it too but it was a little uneven in places.

There were parts that were really good, touched on some heavy subjects (I really liked the Isaiah Bradley stuff) and the action was mostly great. However like I said, parts of it were really uneven and a little all over the place.

Overall it was still really enjoyable but I think it suffered a little following Wandavision. Loved it saying "Captain America and the Winter Soldier" at the end though

Couple of random notes

I heard that the original plot was to involve a virus so that's maybe why some of the writing and pacing was a little off if they had to change things around last minute.

Also heard that Val is meant to be in Black Widow too, which was obviously meant to come out before this, so her appearance was meant to be a bit of a "oooooh it's her" rather than a "who the fuck is this".