The Falcon and The Winter Soldier - on Disney+ from 19 March

Nick R

Lib brained nonsense, was actually offensive to watch "all black people have to do is actually make a speech and things will be better".

Make season 2 all about Sam and Bucky fishing in NOLA and having a cook off every week with real recipes that you can follow.

One detail isn't sitting right with me.

Spoiler

Isaiah Bradley is clearly a very private man- laying low after his mistreatment, not wanting to be bothered and not even receiving visitors until Bucky talked his way in to his house. News of his existence was a shock to Sam.

By placing a big gold statue of him in the Captain America exhibit Sam has made Isaiah a public figure, disclosed his super solider status without his consent and potentially made Isaiah and his family the target of parties with an interest in the serum. Did Sam not think this through at all?

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Couple of random notes

I heard that the original plot was to involve a virus so that's maybe why some of the writing and pacing was a little off if they had to change things around last minute.

Yes, the speculation I've heard is that the death of Karli's adoptive mother figure (Donya Madani), which in the final series was said to be from tuberculosis, was originally going to tie into the Flag Smashers' attempts to acquire supplies of a vaccine.

I enjoyed it overall. I thought both main characters threads were handled well overall, and I’d be up for seeing them in more stuff. Sams speech at the end was a bit cheesy and felt like they were trying to recreate when Steve would do his speeches, though to be fair they were usually cheesy too, so if anything good job carrying that on. 

I liked a bunch of the Zemo stuff too, I hope they use him for more stuff.  Walker was good too, I wished they’d focused more on him than Tracy Beaker does a Terrorism.

There were issues for sure. The flat smasher stuff, stupid name aside, is a decent premise to continue things from Endgame and explore what happened after the blip, and makes sense mostly. It’s one of those things (as in, what happens when everyone comes back into a world that’s moved on) that I’m sure loads of people speculated on. But Karli was totally unconvincing as their leader, which meant a bunch of stuff involving them felt a bit flat. While some of the action was still pretty big budget looking, it deffo felt a bit “cut down” compared to the movies. Possibly because they just weren’t using more experienced directors, not sure on that, possibly because of time due to the size of the project as a whole. But the other thing was fights often weren’t that well structured, especially for Bucky. Sam got the better end of the deal but bar one brief scene, it was hard to get a sense of how strong Bucky is, if anything the fights often made him look weak. Yes, he was often fighting other super soldiers, but he’s also a trained and experienced fighter, these guys weren’t. They should have had shown him having the upper hand against one fairly easily while being able to take 2 on - he didn’t seem a threat, which he should have been. Part of that is due to the editing of the fights,  and part the structure. They do better with Sam as he gets to use the falcon suit in clever ways to get an advantage.

Lastly, and to go into spoiler territory, Sharon Carter

Spoiler

Well, no one saw her being the power broker coming did they? Oh wait, no. It was kinda obvious and I think probably everyone that watched it suspected it would be her. However, her now suddenly being ready to double cross the US government, while it isn’t unbelievable because she’s pissed at them, I wonder how they’ll square it with her knowing that it’s likely to put her back in the sights of Sam if she gets caught. I dunno, seems a bit like a twist for the sake of it, it could work though I guess but I’m hardly excited about it.

overall it reminded me of Wandavision - had some issues for sure, but the stories of the leads was enough for it to be enjoyable for me. Also very much seems like a setup for things to come and both were effectively origin stories for established characters to move onto something more than what they were.

Wait, Karli is going to be in the Willow series as well as this and Solo? Who the hell does she have compromising pictures of? Looking forward to her delivering dramatic speeches about dragons and magic to Warwick Davies with all the emotion of someone ordering an early bird special at their local Harvester.

8 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

One detail isn't sitting right with me.

Hide contents

Isaiah Bradley is clearly a very private man- laying low after his mistreatment, not wanting to be bothered and not even receiving visitors until Bucky talked his way in to his house. News of his existence was a shock to Sam.

By placing a big gold statue of him in the Captain America exhibit Sam has made Isaiah a public figure, disclosed his super solider status without his consent and potentially made Isaiah and his family the target of parties with an interest in the serum. Did Sam not think this through at all?

As far as the public is concerned, he's dead.

I give Bucky a pass on this one, mainly because he’s character has always been pretty one note and they didn’t really mess with that. Everyone else, especially Sharon Carter, have come out the other side of this worse off. That final was laugh out loud bad.

14 hours ago, cassidy said:

Right well i appear to be a lone voice that enjoyed the entire thing.  Good lord at the effects quality throughout. 

Loved Caps speech at the end. And the scene when Cap took Isaiah to the museum. 

You've all gone mad. Or I'm mad. One of the two. 

You’re not the lone voice, I thought it was absolutely fantastic, and a great finale to a great series. 

I’d of preferred to have binged watched it and most mini series of this length but yeah, it was great stuff. 

The girl who played Karli is one hella of an atrocious actor though. Wooh! Yikes. 

I thought Sam's speech had less weight than the closing remarks of a junior high school debating team myself.

The costume looked unusually puffy/children superhero costume- this could have been forgivable if it was shown to have some special abilities.

This entire series has been very poor on the whole.  The only way I can forgive it is if there was a plague/biological warfare plot point that had to be cut completely and the only way to fix that was to pad out the episodes with all the filmed material that would normally be dropped.

The showrunner has been given Captain America 4 to direct, which seems preposterous on the basis of the quality of this show.

10 hours ago, SMD said:

Lib brained nonsense, was actually offensive to watch "all black people have to do is actually make a speech and things will be better".

Make season 2 all about Sam and Bucky fishing in NOLA and having a cook off every week with real recipes that you can follow.

Paul Whitehouse and Bob Mortimer already did that.

The good and bad things about this series are numerous in amount. One thing that was good was a Marvel series acknowledging institutional racism. John Walker was pretty good but his last minute redemption seemed off. Karli was absolutely dreadful throughout. In conclusion, Disney+ is a land of contrast. Thank you.

7 minutes ago, drmick said:

The showrunner has been given Captain America 4 to direct, which seems preposterous on the basis of the quality of this show.

And i'm out before i know anything about it.

Well unless they are going to grow some balls and base it on Truth:Red, White & Black since they have the lead and his Grandson already in this.

I would welcome the damning version of Project: Rebirth but i don't think they'll dare touch a Tuskegee type storyline, and we all know that the showrunner here can't pull a plot or storyline together. 

20 minutes ago, drmick said:

I thought Sam's speech had less weight than the closing remarks of a junior high school debating team myself.

The costume looked unusually puffy/children superhero costume- this could have been forgivable if it was shown to have some special abilities.

Yeah I dunno why they wouldnt make it a bit more form-fitting and/or have some hard-surface panelling (or at least stiffer materials) in the problem areas. Seems like it'd fit with his established aesthetic better too tbh.

The shoulders are the main problem. He looks like he's wearing one of Joan Collins' cast offs from Dynasty in that area. Those open top Gambit style head sock things that were so beloved of 90s comic artists don't translate particularly well to live action in my opinion as well.

2 hours ago, deKay said:

As far as the public is concerned, he's dead.

True. I don't think the general public would present a threat and I assume Hydra already knew about him and decided to leave him alone.

Either way, it's a bit crap of Sam to put what was confided in him on display without permission. Bradley ended up folding a bit too neatly by the end.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

The shoulders are the main problem. He looks like he's wearing one of Joan Collins' cast offs from Dynasty in that area. Those open top Gambit style head sock things that were so beloved of 90s comic artists don't translate particularly well to live action in my opinion as well.

Nah.

His costume is dope. Proper 90s callback like you say. 

It does make him look jacked though. I thought his broad shoulders and chest in that costume looked great.

Superheros are supposed to be larger than life. 

This series was... Odd. Fragments of genuinely good content and story among a load of weird nothings and unbearable cringey cheese. I’m just going to be charitable and conclude that the pandemic messed up the original plans massively (remember the vaccine transport trucks?) and something had to be cobbled together to meet the release date. Can’t help wishing it could’ve been better, because so far it’s one of the least satisfying of the MCU works. I would be disappointed if the further MCU Disney+ series are as weak as this.

14 hours ago, hub2 said:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is now part of the MCU. The only redeeming feature of the series. And dancing Zemo.

Sorry Walker was excellent. 

Did not like the Flag smashers at all, I can't sympathize with killing innocents to prove a point. 

57 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

They look bigger, I think. Although it may just be because they're so shiny white?

6082ccaf4becb800190f6c82.jpeg.2a4b1f472309185413f934962a57a1bf.jpeg

It's the harder angle along the top, cuts a similar silhouette to the 'big joan collins shoulder pads' mentioned before.

Personally I dont mind them (though I'd have a smoother radius on them like the civil-war suit), it's just the use of materials. Admittedly the padded look isnt as noticeable here, its just when he moves, bends an arm etc. Honestly something as simple as making the material a bit thinner but a bit tighter might have done the job. A good fit is more important than volume, having any kind of looseness there makes the actor look smaller, not bigger. 

(edit: mmm, not mad-keen on the chest emblem either tbh, think I prefer a fan-design I've seen with the graphic going straight across rather than upswept)

I will say some of the stuff with the wings was very clever and cool.

45 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Any series that pisses off conservatives is a win in my book. 

Hide contents

Knowing nothing of the owner of that tweet I should point out that someone who was pro-immigration could type out the same words.