The Falcon and The Winter Soldier - on Disney+ from 19 March

Nick R

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The owner of that tweet is a premabanned former member from here.

That is disappointing to hear, sold him an arcade stick years ago and he was really nice. Politics do make people crazy.

18 minutes ago, drmick said:

Knowing nothing of the owner of that tweet I should point out that someone who was pro-immigration could type out the same words.

The owner was a poster here until the permaban.

Just now, yakumo said:

That is disappointing to hear, sold him an arcade stick years ago and he was really nice. Politics do make people crazy.

It is disappointing. Really liked the lad, but he's gone full-blown right-wing crazy, praising the likes of Doug TenNapel, Ben Shapiro and Donald Trump. 

:(

7 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

The owner was a poster here until the permaban.

It is disappointing. Really liked the lad, but he's gone full-blown right-wing crazy, praising the likes of Doug TenNapel, Ben Shapiro and Donald Trump. 

:(

That really sad to hear:(

RE: The shoulder pads, I seeing as someone disagreed with what I said quite forcefully. For me, I think the difference in those photos from the other films is that he's just wearing pauldrons over a normal(ish) t-shirt. They just look like armour. With the new costume they've given him these big padded arms underneath which they flow into which gives it that 80s blazer look.

38 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Same, had some great chats with him about Dark Souls and co-op sessions :( 

While I'm playing MCU fashion police. Is Cap's 2012 outfit still the worst costume design in the MCU (so bad that they took the piss out of it in Endgame), or has anything else given it a run for its money in the films/series since?

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Harsin said:

While I'm playing MCU fashion police. Is Cap's 2012 outfit still the worst costume design in the MCU (so bad that they took the piss out of it in Endgame), or has anything else given it a run for its money in the films/series since?

spacer.png

I remember it was terrible then and its terrible now, liked the look he had in the original Cap movie though.

Decent finale

Spoiler

Was really the only way it could end and they did it fairly well.

There's problems - Sharon being the Power Broker is a bit of a thing out of nowhere and there's basically no justification for her turning heel.

The antagonists generally are a problem really. The Flag Smashers are just a bit shit. They've taken this very good idea (terror group born of the Blip) but then kinda did nothing with it. It's not helped by them wanting to portray then more sympathetically so they got given very generic outfits to not create a barrier to the audience's sympathy, and also, sadly, because the lead is a dreadful actor. Sorry, she has the accent and everything but she's a godawful actor.

Nice to see US Agent get formally revealed, and while the helmet still looks bad it's better on that costume.

Speaking of costumes, Sam's Cap look is very faithful to the comics but... I dunno. Doesn't quite work. The thing around the head, the Gambit look, doesn't really work somehow. But still, fine. And ultimately Sam's storyline paid off with the political points the show wanted to make. Albeit make them with a sledgehammer.

Sad to see the end of Batroc :(

It's pretty clear at this point these shows are basically, where they deal with movie characters anyway, B plots, which is fine, but I don't think either this or WandaVision have been slam dunks. The earlier show flirted with very interesting stuff and then shied away, and this felt a bit like it wanted to play with heavier stuff but found that conflicted with what is ultimately meant to be an action show. It also bizarrely felt at once slightly bloated at times and rushed at others - it spends half an episode setting up Bucky trying to redeem himself, ditches that when it remembers it's an action show, mostly relegating Bucky to 'other good guy in action scenes', then remembers at the death it has that other story. Zemo turns up for 2 episodes, and that's cool, but ultimately you could remove him from the show and change very little. And so on... It does feel a bit like either the show is a bit of compromise somehow or they had their big ideas, the concept of the action show, and 6 episodes, and just mashed it together.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

spacer.png

Yeah that's worse than anything else I can think of, but I will say the chestpiece with evidence of hard panelling underneath the fabric is a good example of how you could bulk out an area well while still keeping the overall flow of materials/surfaces/patterning etc, without having to resort to shapeless padding. Same thing they look to have done with Agent-NotCaps shoulders, its all woven in underneath or something. Vision took that to its practical limit with his suit, one of my favourite bits about his look, fyi.

I think Hawkeye had some shitty tunic for one of the early avengers that I didnt much like, but I dunno wtf you're supposed to do with him tbh. They made up for it with his ronin outfit at least.

I very nearly wrote “That was a bad ending, and they should feel bad.” But it was all over the shop, in terms of the multiple endings.

AND WHAT’S WITH THE RANDOM GERMAN SUBTITLES!?!

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Decent finale

Reveal hidden contents

Was really the only way it could end and they did it fairly well.

There's problems - Sharon being the Power Broker is a bit of a thing out of nowhere and there's basically no justification for her turning heel.

The antagonists generally are a problem really. The Flag Smashers are just a bit shit. They've taken this very good idea (terror group born of the Blip) but then kinda did nothing with it. It's not helped by them wanting to portray then more sympathetically so they got given very generic outfits to not create a barrier to the audience's sympathy, and also, sadly, because the lead is a dreadful actor. Sorry, she has the accent and everything but she's a godawful actor.

Nice to see US Agent get formally revealed, and while the helmet still looks bad it's better on that costume.

Speaking of costumes, Sam's Cap look is very faithful to the comics but... I dunno. Doesn't quite work. The thing around the head, the Gambit look, doesn't really work somehow. But still, fine. And ultimately Sam's storyline paid off with the political points the show wanted to make. Albeit make them with a sledgehammer.

Sad to see the end of Batroc :(

It's pretty clear at this point these shows are basically, where they deal with movie characters anyway, B plots, which is fine, but I don't think either this or WandaVision have been slam dunks. The earlier show flirted with very interesting stuff and then shied away, and this felt a bit like it wanted to play with heavier stuff but found that conflicted with what is ultimately meant to be an action show. It also bizarrely felt at once slightly bloated at times and rushed at others - it spends half an episode setting up Bucky trying to redeem himself, ditches that when it remembers it's an action show, mostly relegating Bucky to 'other good guy in action scenes', then remembers at the death it has that other story. Zemo turns up for 2 episodes, and that's cool, but ultimately you could remove him from the show and change very little. And so on... It does feel a bit like either the show is a bit of compromise somehow or they had their big ideas, the concept of the action show, and 6 episodes, and just mashed it together.

I wasn't exactly sure what I thought about it, but I think this pretty much sums up my thoughts too. It flirts with a lot of "big" ideas but just swerves out of the way of a lot of them and doesn't land the few that it sticks with. It's a weird one.

Just watched the finale and imo thought it was a huge pile of steaming awful. 

Spoiler

Between Sam's new costume (ugh, but especially the shoulders and the head sock), the effects (just me or did the action frequently not hold together at all, particularly the latter half of the battle which seemed almost strobe like in its lack of flow) and the ham fisted be do better speech felt like a terrible third act to a film that had just about worked beforehand. Karli wasn't great, the flag smashers were a good idea wasted and it was all a bit crap really. The crowd cheering and saying 'that's Captain America' made me literally laugh out loud at how clumsy and graceless they were. 

Throughout the show had the potential to tell a powerful story - from historical and institutional racism to current challenges through immigration and displaced communities and peoples. But instead it was all a bit ugh. Didn't dislike the episodes up to the finale but that was a huge Marvel misstep imo. 

8 hours ago, Vemsie said:

Any series that pisses off conservatives is a win in my book. 

Hide contents

Hahaha what's he crying for? Wasn't he red pilled or am I mistaking him for someone else? It's been ages since I've seen his name.

Well that was a thing, glad it’s finished was a slog to watch and bar the action scenes, terrible. The villains were the least super super soldiers ever and Bucky sort of reduced to a bit player. 

If I had seen this was 8 episodes I would have stopped. Only 6 meant I plodded through it. Not good - apart from John Walker and some of the action scenes. 

The social commentary plot was only mildly better than how Baywatch would've dealt with it. 

In the words of Falcon - do better. 

The best bit was when the wings went in the ground as brakes, thought that was very cool.

The most hilarious bit was Tracy Beaker going "one world.....one world....one....anyone?" with all the emotion and power of a wet fart.

I think the second half of the series was an improvement over the first, however it was not a good series. It struck me that they didn't have confidence in any of the plotlines so just threw everything into the mix. 

If the characters of Bucky, Sharon and Zemo weren't in it, would anything have been different?

I understand a pandemic\ virus plotline was cut and rewrites and reshoots were required, which possibly excuses the show runner quite a bit (mentioning as he's now doing Captain America 4) However, the key building blocks of the series just didn't work. The two leads...I felt nothing for their relationship even though the love triangle (with Walker included) should have been enough to drive the entire show - flag smashers, a virus, whatever, it shouldn't have mattered because that central premise was strong. Strong, but ultimately lost amongst too many other strands including Zemo, Sharon, Wakanda, something about a boat and ironically all the stuff around The Winter Soldier. 

More could have been made from Walker as well, I felt like they set him up to be a really interesting character and then pulled the big swing in the last episode. I'm not sure how closely his character followed the comic of course. 

I hoped for more but like all of the Marvel content you need to watch the weakest it produces in order to get more from the strongest. Hoping for more with Loki. 

12 hours ago, SeanR said:

AND WHAT’S WITH THE RANDOM GERMAN SUBTITLES!?!

It’s been a randomly occurring bug on Amazon Prime for over a year now. They don’t seem to give a shit about definitively fixing it. 

8 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

It’s been a randomly occurring bug on Amazon Prime for over a year now. They don’t seem to give a shit about definitely fixing it. 

On PS4 watching Disney plus AND happened as I fell asleep during xmen dark Phoenix too, so yeah

I watched the first 3 episodes back to back and really enjoyed them - nice to see the characters again and a widening of their stories as well of the fallout caused by the blip.  Looking forward to the last 3 episodes tonight.

edit..and done. Really enjoyed it.

Watching the finale I had this horrible realisation that the creative process was probably along the lines of making an ordinary Marvel movie script, but instead of writing stuff out they keep it all and just film it. Big Zack Snyder extended cut vibes.

The start of the episode made really good use of the HDR colour space though, that's the reddest thing my TV's ever done I think.

Edit - Although now that we finally got there, I am very excited to see this Captain America and his cute little drone buddy ("Look! I'm pushing the truck too!) get to actually do some stuff in a movie.

I thought they were going to go down the super serum route with Sam, given all the stuff they hammered home about it amplifying what's inside a person's character. For me his complete reliance on his wingsuit is what's always made him a bit rubbish, so it was a shame they've stuck to that. When he was lifting that van up it was all a bit 'so what', because it wasn't actually him exerting superhero strength.

I thought the series was just dull, on the whole. Hopefully Loki will be more fun!

1 hour ago, PK said:

When he was lifting that van up it was all a bit 'so what', because it wasn't actually him exerting superhero strength.

I'm not quite sure I get that logic. If you've got super strength, isn't it also "so what"? You're really strong, so lifting a van is no sweat.

I'm not going to over-sweat what's a throwaway comment, but just being the strongest is, it seems to me, exactly what the Captain America movies and this TV series have been trying to say isn't the important part.

8 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I'm not quite sure I get that logic. If you've got super strength, isn't it also "so what"? You're really strong, so lifting a van is no sweat.

I'm not going to over-sweat what's a throwaway comment, but just being the strongest is, it seems to me, exactly what the Captain America movies and this TV series have been trying to say isn't the important part.

I don't know, I think they've said "there's no point being incredibly strong without being a good person as well, but just to be clear you do need to be incredibly strong".  They've depicted Sam as being fundamentally a decent person, so I assumed they were going to go down the route of him being 'worthy' to wield the power that the serum gives you.

For some reason it's more engaging to see Evans' Captain America grappling with Thanos, or Spiderman holding together two halves of a ferry (etc) than Sam increasing the thrusters on his metal suit to hold up a van or firing lots of little missiles at people, don't you think? A more palpable sense of physical struggle gets you more invested in what they're doing. I think you need that otherwise it sort of just turns into CGI Suit Saves the Day.