The Falcon and The Winter Soldier - on Disney+ from 19 March

Nick R

6 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Cap is the shield, values and the symbol, not the specific collection of powers.

I think it's good that they're prepared to do something different, everyone jokes that Marvel films are the characters fighting an identical villain, but now people want the heroes to be carbon copies too?

I don't want a carbon copy of Steve. I just think Falcon is so far below him (power wise) that it makes Cap devalued. John Walker was a different take on it and was far more interesting. 

I really enjoy this in the main, some great episodes, some filler, but all in all it made me like Sam and Bucky more as characters, which I can't say I did before.

One thing though, am I really the only one that for Val was fucking irritating?! She wasnt funny, intimating or whatever she was meant to be, just a bit punchable! She must have looked at her script and thought WTF?!

Very disappointed really but it was clearly never going to be more than average. It’s nice that they try to do a bit of social commentary but it’s incredibly ham fisted and by the numbers. 

It’s also great that they trying to show the consequences of the blip but I’m not entirely sure what exactly the Flag Smashers were trying to achieve or how and that feels like a missed opportunity. 

Sam’s speech at the end was just dreadful and there were various points during the finale where they would cut to a nodding person - Zemo in case we hadn’t made the link with his Butler killing off the super soldiers or Isaiah nodding along to Sam’s handily televised speech. 

‘Just do better’ also feels like what Americans think good CEOs do when it tends to be what bad bosses who think they’re good do. 

8 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

He has the best serum that Hydra were able to muddle up, so he’s likely not as strong as the new super soldiers but is able to kick their arses due to being very well trained. The vibranium arm certainly doesn’t hurt either. 

It looks like it hurts a lot. :hat:

9 hours ago, FishyFish said:

FALCON: My shoulders are now well protected thanks to a Wakandan lootbox.

CALLER: And..?

FALCON: I have a head-sock, although I might need to get it re-sized around my ears...

Every time I look at Sam in the Cap outfit I can't help but notice his soft, crushable head. Imagine a scene where he crashes into something like a pigeon hitting a window.

The director says that their goal was to have everyone rooting for John Walker by the end, and apparently that was a complete success. Which explains the weird banter he got in the final episode and the upbeat tone of his getting the USAgent costume, but, uh, I don’t think so.

9 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

The director says that their goal was to have everyone rooting for John Walker by the end, and apparently that was a complete success. Which explains the weird banter he got in the final episode and the upbeat tone of his getting the USAgent costume, but, uh, I don’t think so.

#TrolledYou

Despite being a classic nerd, I do like how the MCU doesn't linger on particulars of the powers of the characters. They should be flexible for storytelling purposes, for sure. 

I do get seriously annoyed at the weapons though. The shield is basically what levelled the playing field for Steve - without it being essentially indestructible* he couldn't have fought Ultron or Loki, and without vibranium reflecting kinetic energy he'd be mush several times over. The Winter Soldier being able to catch it in flight was such a huge, "What's up now, bitch?!" power flex moment, it was the highlight of the film's (excellent) trailer. 

So to have the writers forget all this and have Batroc deflect it with an office chair, and Walker and Sam continuously battered backwards, knocked around and hurt when using it completely wrecks the point of the thing. Think what you like about Joss Wheldon, but he would never just lazily script-in that the shield doesn't work right, just so he could generate tension. The shield can completely deflect a twatting from Mjolnir, FFS

On the inverse, see Stormbreaker being so OP it's able to shrug off a blast from a set of stones that could - and did - literally rend the universe asunder, and Tony's fucking stupid nanosuit and you've got a serious problem with nerfing and power creep in the MCU that's sowing the seeds of disinterest in me. 

* Thanos's sword seemed to be even stronger of course, which is fine. Let's say it was adamantium, as we're now allowed to ^_^

16 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

I had no idea the guy playing the new Captain America is Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn’s son. 

My wife’s commentary on him was, that’s the “Do sex?!” guy from This is 40 :lol: and of course that he is the son of arguably her favourite Hollywood couple.

Russel and his story is actually one of the best threads in the whole show for me, even though it was handled with almost zero grace or nuance... like every other ‘message’ really.

It’s a mediocre entry in the greatest shared universe of movies and shows there has ever been. It didn’t disappoint me but it certainly didn’t break any new ground either, which I figure is the minimum they aimed for before shit starts going crackers again when Phase 4 is in full flight. 

On 30/04/2021 at 19:32, Alex W. said:

I can see how they tried it. He got busted by the bad politicians and then made his own Aldi Shield but the biggest problem with this series was the flag shaggers and it also being only 6 eps.

It just felt rushed yet empty at the same time.

10 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Really?

I'm not that discerning or a massive Marvel super fan, also some Wine :)

However I did really enjoy it! I thought it was much better than the recent trend of hordes of goodies and baddies running at one another.

7 hours ago, merrychan said:

I'm not that discerning or a massive Marvel super fan, also some Wine :)

However I did really enjoy it! I thought it was much better than the recent trend of hordes of goodies and baddies running at one another.

Have you watched all of the MCU so far?

2 hours ago, drmick said:

Have you watched all of the MCU so far?

Yep! Apologies if I seem like some manner of stealth troll.

Favourites being Deadpool, first Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor : Ragnarok

20 hours ago, merrychan said:

OH MY the last episode was probably the best Marvel ever, so impressed!

out of curiosity, by what metric