The Falcon and The Winter Soldier - on Disney+ from 19 March

On 29/03/2021 at 08:54, deKay said:

I'm not the only one who keeps expecting to see New Cap wanking on the roof of a skyscraper, right?

I think the scene where he was spat at and the next scene kinda indicate he’s going to go off the rails. 

The direction of that 2nd scene was great, the subtle blurring in and out really showed how raging and unstable he is below the surface. 

So far, this has been the opposite of Wandavision.

This could have easily been a marvel movie release. 

That episode was a bit pish.

I'd enjoyed the character building from the last two but then this one decided to throw everything they could think of at the screen to see what would stick.

The comedy style team up was a bit rubbish. It felt really off to turn an enigmatic villain into light relief.

2 hours ago, ckny said:

So Bucky is identified in the bar but nobody recognises Falcon, the world famous Avenger, because he’s wearing a flashy suit?

They literally had people not recognising him in both previous episodes.

And he is probably the least recognisable Avenger at the best of times. I didn’t actually know he was called The Falcon until they announced this series :lol:

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

They literally had people not recognising him in both previous episodes.

Can Falcon even be considered an Avenger? I’ve actually never heard of him and even in the MCU, he’s a bit player. 

Winter Soldier on the other hand was the worlds most wanted man.

Enjoyed that episode.

Agree it was probably the most... disjointed?... episode so far, very much feeling it went A-B-C in its structure without leaving much room for the scenes to flow or breathe, but equally it also felt like the episode they decided they wanted to get the plot moving and the stakes to rise. Equally also felt the most like one of the Russo Cap films to me.

Spoiler

I like Zemo as a villain so initially the change in him from Civil War (where he's a completely focused ruthless special forces man seeking revenge against an enemy that out matches him on every front so makes them defeat themselves) to the more charismatic and silly aristocrat version is jarring, but Bruhl sells it and they've managed to translate his classic look about as well as you could expect. I'm hoping he's allowed to grow into the true villain again.

It's also really weird to watch a Marvel property and be presented with a Brummie accent. But appreciated.

Although I mostly enjoyed it, I’m starting to feel that as a child this show might have been kicked in the head by a horse. There was just so much stupid in this episode,

Spoiler

like Zemo straight up murdering someone in front of them, then literally two minutes later they’re arguing about whether Bucky pulling his seat forward in the Zemomobile. Or the crappiest prison breakout plan ever (seriously, start a fight and pull a fire alarm?) Also, why was he in such a low security prison anyway? You’d think he’d be trussed up like Hannibal Lecter! Also why are the supposed heroes killing so many people on this show?

The action is good, but it really doesn’t hold up to any kind of scrutiny at all on a plot level. 

This episode did feel like an entire movie condensed into 45 minutes. 

They’re on a streaming platform, who gives a shit about run time. Just let it run! This show doesn’t even have many special effects and talking scenes are cheap and it’s all filmed digitally, I’m sure Disney can afford the hard drive space 

1 hour ago, jon_cybernet said:

Although I mostly enjoyed it, I’m starting to feel that as a child this show might have been kicked in the head by a horse. There was just so much stupid in this episode,

Hide contents

like Zemo straight up murdering someone in front of them, then literally two minutes later they’re arguing about whether Bucky pulling his seat forward in the Zemomobile. Or the crappiest prison breakout plan ever (seriously, start a fight and pull a fire alarm?) Also, why was he in such a low security prison anyway? You’d think he’d be trussed up like Hannibal Lecter! Also why are the supposed heroes killing so many people on this show?

The action is good, but it really doesn’t hold up to any kind of scrutiny at all on a plot level. 

Spoiler

Given that Bucky spent 90 years killing people and Sam will happily murder 20 people in ten minutes I don’t see why they’d be shocked by the guy they know is driven to murder anyone creating super soldiers and who they know is a dangerous threat killing a scientist who can create super soldiers. They still need him.

The prison security I’m not sure about. He did bomb the UN but his crimes generally aren’t that serious outside of that. What’s the punishment for making Iron Man really grumpy with Captain America? 

6 hours ago, probotector said:

This episode did feel like an entire movie condensed into 45 minutes. 

They’re on a streaming platform, who gives a shit about run time. Just let it run! This show doesn’t even have many special effects and talking scenes are cheap and it’s all filmed digitally, I’m sure Disney can afford the hard drive space 

Are you certain about that bolded bit?  I've seen shows that looked like they had zero special effects, only to later discover that almost all of the background scenery was CGI.  Mindhunter is a good example.

10 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

Are you certain about that bolded bit?  I've seen shows that looked like they had zero special effects, only to later discover that almost all of the background scenery was CGI.  Mindhunter is a good example.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that all those neon street backgrounds, half those shipping containers, and the glass in the prison cell were completely CG.

Baron von Baron dressing as a baron was corny as hell. Carter kicking ass was good. Falcon in a pimp suit pointing out that “He does look like me.” was cringe. The running around the shipping crates reminded me of Dempsey and Makepeace.

Overall, ITV3/10.

2 hours ago, Don Wiskerando said:

yeah totally. All the night street scenes are definitely cg for instance. I’m talking more about the talking scenes. They could have had some more talking head scenes etc.

But I guess the episode was tight. But some seemed rush. The dialogue in the airplane seemed cut, eg the discussion around the books between zemo and Falcon/winter 

9 hours ago, Broker said:

Hide contents

Given that Bucky spent 90 years killing people and Sam will happily murder 20 people in ten minutes I don’t see why they’d be shocked by the guy they know is driven to murder anyone creating super soldiers and who they know is a dangerous threat killing a scientist who can create super soldiers. They still need him.

The prison security I’m not sure about. He did bomb the UN but his crimes generally aren’t that serious outside of that. What’s the punishment for making Iron Man really grumpy with Captain America? 

I mean, he did also kill the King of Wakanda, so I think Zemo’s crimes were a bit more serious than just making Cap and Iron Man grumpy. 

12 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Agreed about the prison escape scene. Zemo was clearly in some super-max solitary confinement cell, so when he escaped with such a lame plan I had to take an extra-large swig of beer and just let it wash over me. 

There was a hell of a lot going on in this episode, and the plan to move the plot forward by going to the place, to meet the person to get the thing ultimately didn’t make sense because 

Spoiler

The contact woman got shot

So they just did something else to move the plot forward instead. But I can’t say I didn’t enjoy it. But like I say, I did have to drink quite heavily for the duration. 

if the The Captain America guy hasn't had any super soldier serum I do t understand why he didn't destroy all.of his internal organs when he smashed into the car window. 

It kind of spoils the superness of the real supes. 

(Superman blasting off with Lois in the Justice League made me feel similar. Lois would have disintegrated. )

6 hours ago, Death's Head said:

The 90s X-Men fan in me did enjoy seeing Madripoor on screen but after a decent second episode this went a bit fash again. Zemo's quite good fun, I suppose. 

And the Princess Bar having a little cameo. Wonder if a hairy guy in a white suit and eyepatch was inside..

12 hours ago, Barnard said:

Superman blasting off with Lois in the Justice League made me feel similar. Lois would have disintegrated.

Try not to think too much about super strength heros having sex with regular folks then.  Or just having a cuddle.

13 hours ago, Barnard said:

if the The Captain America guy hasn't had any super soldier serum I do t understand why he didn't destroy all.of his internal organs when he smashed into the car window. 

This I assume is maybe going to be the big PB reveal as they are currently doing in the comics with John's sister.

I really hope not. But all the MCU stuff and the shows so far are just pulling at decades worth of comics getting bits they think are "cool" and shitting on all the deep and interesting bits because they want an easy audience.

That said they had the balls to introduce the first Captain America early on and although they changed the story so the good old US of A didn't look like the bastards they were in the original story it was great to see him.

The tests on Isiah Bradley would surely have been years before the fall of Hydra, so I doubt he is the US test subject the doc was speaking about when he joined the CIA about 10yrs ago. 

People probably don’t recognise Sam because he hasn’t been seen by the public in about 7yrs. 

On 03/04/2021 at 18:58, Barnard said:

It kind of spoils the superness of the real supes. 

(Superman blasting off with Lois in the Justice League made me feel similar. Lois would have disintegrated. )

I just took that as typical Hollywood bullshit