What are your feelings about Shia LeBeouf?

What are your feelings about Shia LeBeouf?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me, he first came onto the scene with the latest Indiana Jones (spoiler he's his son), and Transformers. At this time I couldn't stand his smug face.

Over time, the internet seemed to agree.

Then he started doing or being involved with weird performance art stuff like JUST DO IT and the Shia LeBeouf song, and I warmed to him.

Then there was the possible plagiarism and fixed camera stunt which set everyone against him again.

Then he seemed to become pretty cool again, with The Peanut Butter Falcon in particular making him seem much more likeable.

I'm not sure where he sits now. How do you feel about him?

Edit - I've now seen he's just been sued for sexual assault which he appears to have admitted to, so I imagine he's in dickhead territory again...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p089sfrz/episodes/downloads

The FKA Twigs episode of Louis Theroux's podcast is worth listening to, as she goes into quite a bit of detail about his behaviour. He's clearly got alcohol issues, but he also sounds like a deeply unpleasant and manipulative person. Not quite on the Armie Hammer level of celebrities who sound like they're a danger to women, but he still comes across as an abusive prick. 

He gave us a gif or two, and great scene in Teen Titans GTTM!

and weirdly/coincidentally* I just referenced one of those Shia gifs in the transformers thread, which works on two levels, because he was also in three of the films in the series, related to the toys.

*maybe I saw this thread subliminally, although unlikely, because I was browsing “content I posted in”, on account of my massive ego.

I liked him in transformers but I don’t think he has the screen presence to be an adult star. He’s not a very good actor IMO and is up his own ass.

I think Indiana Jones was when the public turned on him. At the end when he picks up his hat, I remember the cinema I was in had a collective groan and a giggle when Harrison Ford snatched it from him.

I hate the fact he made himself a meme with that just do it shit.

Hollywood tried really hard to make him happen and luckily he wasn’t bigger than he got

I read the thread title and came into this thread thinking it was obviously about the recent allegations...i read and read and read and there was nothing. Then the edit was the final confirmation.

I found the allegations (or however you refer to them, it makes it seem like i don't believe them - i do) actually kind of shocking. However much of a dick he's been earlier in his career, his alcohol issues, it's mostly in the past, and this is so recent after he's appeared to reckon with himself. He's 34, he's been in loads of relationships and dealt with his life, he should be past this. 

He's perfectly cast in Peanut Butter Falcon though, he's finally found the roles where he can excel more than anyone else. These kind of disheveled figures living on the fringes of society, a bit broken but not too bad. And i was sort of looking forward to what roles he'd get in the future...a bit like enjoying Armie Hammer in Free Fire and wanting a The Man From Uncle sequel...

Louis Theroux struggled to phrase some questions ('*deep breadth*...people will be thinking...why not leave?') and it always is, not about attaching blame but working out the development of a relationship you don't see progress. Like it's just surprising someone as successful, talented and beautiful as FK Twigs would put up with anyone she's with asking her not to look any other men in the eyes. I know it's gradual and within a reciprocal relationship where demands are expressed as frustrations and it all adds up to emotionally manipulative behaviour. But when you hear the story it's surprising; Shia managed to get together with FK Twigs? When did that happen? And despite getting together with someone like that he treated her like that? 

I’ve always thought he got kind of an unfair amount of hate. He’s fine in the transformers movies and Indy 4, by which I mean those films aren’t short because of him, they’re garbage in every possible way and he’s just there. 

Hadn’t heard about him being an abusive cunt though, and so I’d voted that I like him before I read the first post. Having read that fuck him, he’s a prick. 

Didn’t mind him. The Peanut Butter Falcon is a lovely film. Cool, good for you kid, you’ve turned your career into something interesting with films like that and Honey Boy.

Then it turns out he’s a horrible little abusive cunt. And he just got fired from Olivia Wilde’s new film because she installed a ‘no arseholes on set’ policy.

He’s done, and good riddance.

He's got that James Franco thing. You're a child star, and you've been fed through a very specific machine.

But when you start to develop, your teenage rebellion is unfortunately on display for the public to see. And you're 33 while it's happening.

He seems a bad guy, and his lucid, empathetic apology to FKA Twigs feels more like a demonstration of his manipulation than his contrition. That said, who's supporting these people when they're young? No excuses to be made, but shit goes in, shit often comes out.

4 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Louis Theroux struggled to phrase some questions ('*deep breadth*...people will be thinking...why not leave?') and it always is, not about attaching blame but working out the development of a relationship you don't see progress. Like it's just surprising someone as successful, talented and beautiful as FK Twigs would put up with anyone she's with asking her not to look any other men in the eyes. I know it's gradual and within a reciprocal relationship where demands are expressed as frustrations and it all adds up to emotionally manipulative behaviour. But when you hear the story it's surprising; Shia managed to get together with FK Twigs? When did that happen? And despite getting together with someone like that he treated her like that? 

This was an interesting article...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/11/arts/music/fka-twigs-shia-labeouf-abuse.html

Yeah i read that article at the time. 

'I have been abusive to myself and everyone around me for years. I have a history of hurting the people closest to me'.

'I have been abusive to myself' seems like a canny get out. I'm just all round destructive and sometimes others close to me just get in the way. Dunno why he's so deeply insecure as all his behaviour over the years suggests he is. He's a child star who has made the transition into being a credible adult actor, getting good roles and working with lauded directors. 

I listened to Evil Genius on George Best and they were trying to work out how someone so genuinely humble and shy could turn into someone else entirely when drunk. Is it jekyl and hyde or does the drink reveal something deep inside that was always lingering. One of the guests said; 'i think that kind of violence suggests a superiority they feel they have' and i thought i'd probably agree with that. 

I also voted that I like him as I hadn't read about the abusive behaviour. Largely because I like that he plagarised his apology for plagarism. That was good.

But yeah, reading the rest of the thread has put a dampener on things to say the least.

5 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

His early movies sucked, but he has had some excellent roles in the last few years. American Honey was particularly good I thought. I wasn’t aware of the abuse allegations until reading this thread. 

I was listening to a Adam Curtis interview on Adam Buxton's podcast the other day, Curtis was talking about how movies all follow a pattern now and that you can tell what the film is going to be like within the first 20 minutes but singled out American Honey as one movie that kept surprising him all the way through.

He’s always seemed like a nasty bastard and him trying to hide getting caught plagiarising Daniel Clowes by pretending to be all arty confirmed it for me. 

The FKA Twigs allegations are awful but for some reason not a surprise at all. He seems to have a real dangerous anger inside of him.

Hopefully he fucks off for good now anyway, how many chances can this guy have for fucks sake.

On 08/02/2021 at 20:37, schmojo said:

He's got that James Franco thing. You're a child star, and you've been fed through a very specific machine.

But when you start to develop, your teenage rebellion is unfortunately on display for the public to see. And you're 33 while it's happening.

He seems a bad guy, and his lucid, empathetic apology to FKA Twigs feels more like a demonstration of his manipulation than his contrition. That said, who's supporting these people when they're young? No excuses to be made, but shit goes in, shit often comes out.

Bah I didn't realise James Franco was one of the bad guys. 

Personal life wise he seems like a twat, but acting wise it’s “seemed alright in Transformers, but I only watched half of it”, “No objections in Indiana Jones, but don’t really remember much about him in it” and “Oh, apparently he was in Constantine, I Robot and Charlie’s Angels, but don’t remember him at all from them”.