Playstation Exclusives- what have I missed out on?

18 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

The Nioh games are pretty fucking great as well if you like Dark Souls. Combat wise better than any of them, not so much level design wise. 

I bounced off the first, bought the second when it was cheap last year and promptly bounced off that as the mechanics are just too convoluted and too busy for me to try and force my way into. I have, however, tried the (very slightly) remastered Nioh 2 on PS5 and made fractionally more progress but I just don't think it's for me. Managing stances, a load of meters, what seems an overcomplicated control system, and endless amounts of loot is just not that much fun. I am always looking for an alternate Souls but this just isn't it for me and especially if the level design isn't up to par.

It's frustrating as I am sure there is a game in there that I could get into but it is just too much for me.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim slipped out late last year, was lost in the new console buzz, and is really, really bloody good. 

It is however sadly, being a Vanillaware game, front loaded with so many tired silly anime tropes and questionable character designs*, at least at first, that your eyes will roll so far back upside your head that you will see your brain, which will be staring back intently at you and questioning why exactly you're debasing yourself by playing this weeb otaku-bait shit quite obviously aimed at 40-something loser virgin hikkikomori. 

The fact is it's Pacific Rim as reimagined by Vanillaware, and it does that rare, great thing - tells a story that could *only* adequately be pulled off in a video game. There are 13 different characters, each with their own individual playable arcs and no immediately obvious order in which to play them, and it makes for an absolute spaghetti convoluted mess of a sci-fi plot... until it all just brilliantly comes together, in a cascade of brain-melting KERBLAMMOS not seen since the superb Virtue's Last Reward. By the time it really gets going, the game itself seems to have forgotten that it's supposed to be pandering to weebs, and focuses instead on what becomes an excellent and touching sci-fi epic. 

Also, being Vanillaware, its backgrounds, environments and animations are unfailingly gorgeous, seeped in hazy hues and golden sunlight which gives everything this weird, nostalgic, melancholic air.

Definitely recommended, if you can stomach the style. 

*The two main character designers for the game are both women, for what little it's worth... 

Yeah, definitely looking forward to it. I saw Detroit mentioned- I absolutely loathed David Cage's earlier work, has he got better or is this only enjoyed by people who liked Farenheit?

Also I played Shadow of the Collosus to the end. I mean, I loved that game so much I spent hours just horse riding around the world. So not that, but a good call on The Last Guardian.

Also Journey, forgot that existed. Always intrigued by that. And Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

Yeah, definitely looking forward to it. I saw Detroit mentioned- I absolutely loathed David Cage's earlier work, has he got better or is this only enjoyed by people who liked Farenheit?

Also I played Shadow of the Collosus to the end. I mean, I loved that game so much I spent hours just horse riding around the world. So not that, but a good call on The Last Guardian.

Also Journey, forgot that existed. Always intrigued by that. And Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Last Guardian is unlike anything I’ve ever played. It still looks amazing (to me) just wish it had a little patch for PS5. If you do play it on PS4 Pro then make sure you set the system to 1080p to make sure you get the best framerate possible.

Funnily enough, it’s the unpatched version of The Last Guardian (i.e. the disc version) that you’d want to play on PS5, since that had an uncapped framerate that was eventually patched to cap at 30fps. On PS5 the disc version runs at 60 provided you don’t install the patch. 

10 hours ago, Mike S said:

I bounced off the first, bought the second when it was cheap last year and promptly bounced off that as the mechanics are just too convoluted and too busy for me to try and force my way into. I have, however, tried the (very slightly) remastered Nioh 2 on PS5 and made fractionally more progress but I just don't think it's for me. Managing stances, a load of meters, what seems an overcomplicated control system, and endless amounts of loot is just not that much fun. I am always looking for an alternate Souls but this just isn't it for me and especially if the level design isn't up to par.

It's frustrating as I am sure there is a game in there that I could get into but it is just too much for me.

I had exactly the same experience. The combat was too much for me in NioH, Dark Souls was the right balance between depth and accessible after grasping one or two key aspects. And playing games like NioH made me realize that exploration and discovery is what I like most in Dark Souls, the combat is in service of adding nail-biting tension to the exploration but not what makes it great by itself. For me personally.

Before NioH I had a similar experience with the Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne. Beforehand I thought that playing through endless dungeons with "dat Souls combat" would be fantastic, but I quickly discovered that the boring areas and lack of any meaningful exploration just made it boring and tedious for me.

Different people like different things, so it's okay not to like NioH. I can still see why others think it's brilliant because it's really good at what it does, it's just not for me.

14 hours ago, Marlew said:

C Tier

Until Dawn

Death Stranding 

God of War

Days Gone

Ratchet and Clank

Gravity Rush 2

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture

Jaysus, God of War in the same tier as Everybody's Gone To The Rapture.

@therearerules, play everything in that tier apart from Everybody's Gone To The Rapture please.

9 minutes ago, df0 said:

Jaysus, God of War in the same tier as Everybody's Gone To The Rapture.

@therearerules, play everything in that tier apart from Everybody's Gone To The Rapture please.

I totally understand what you're saying.

As ponderously shit as the gameplay and characters and writing were, it was certainly very pretty.

They definitely should have scrapped the loot systems, though. 

13 minutes ago, Majora said:

Agreed, Everybody's Gone To The Rapture should be at least 2 tiers higher.

3 minutes ago, Marlew said:

I totally understand what you're saying.

As ponderously shit as the gameplay and characters and writing were, it was certainly very pretty.

They definitely should have scrapped the loot systems, though. 

Jerry-Seinfeld-Has-Seen-Enough-Reaction-Gif.gif.aa0702573d485c40f177514b416ea5dd.gif

8 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Marlew isn't one to miss a chance to sneer.

Yeah? How do you work that one out?

Certainly not how I see it. 

Are you still upset about Hades? 

May I be the first to chime in and suggest Concrete Genie.

It is just sublime. A thoughtful and moving story about bullying and friendship.

It was my GOTY a couple of years ago and it is currently free on PS+.

Do it. Do it now!

God of War and The Last of Us 2 were the reason I bought a PS4. 

And they were probably the two best games I played that generation (after RDR2). 

Oh and play Last of Us Remastered if you have not already. 

16 hours ago, Marlew said:

B Tier

Nex Machina

This is a crime against humanity. Nex Machina is arguably the best twin-stick shooter ever made and is absolutely essential if you're even remotely interested in arcade games. Get Resogun as well in that case, it's bloody excellent.

Those and Bloodborne are gameplay heaven for months to come.
The Last Guardian is a beautiful work of art as well.

In terms of Sony's big exclusives, The Last of Us 2 and Horizon Zero Dawn are the best for me. I'm not huge on open world games but Horizon has tremendous combat (play on Hard or above) and one of my favourite stories in the medium, with very relevant themes.

God of War is definitely a good game, but I don't think it's the masterpiece many people painted it as. Definitely worth a play though.

The Nioh games are great if you want games with challenging combat. Level design isn't as good as Soulsborne and neither are the bosses, but the combat in general is superb.

If you ever get PSVR, Astro Bot is essential. One of my favourite games of last gen.

2 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

This is a crime against humanity. Nex Machina is arguably the best twin-stick shooter ever made and is absolutely essential if you're even remotely interested in arcade games. Get Resogun as well in that case, it's bloody excellent.

I don't disagree. I'm not really into the genre is all. I like Geometry Wars and We Are Doomed but I find Nex Machina pretty hard to read. Same with Resogun. I totally understand the praise but it's just not my kind of shooter. 

On 08/02/2021 at 23:49, therearerules said:

No, its much better than the previous games. To be sure there are still David Cageisms in there and its very heavy handed, but he had a writing team this time and it shows. The characters are good and the story has an impressive amount of variants depending on your choices. It looks great and the atmosphere, cinematics and acting are spot on. There's a lot of tension as well. 

Now having said that if you hated earlier Cage stuff, the basic premise is essentially the same; lots of different scenes, make critical choices (some time-dependant), wander around and do the odd QTE in action sequences. But I would still heartily recommend it. I went back and played Heavy Rain after Detroit, and Detroit is so much better in every way. Definitely worth a shot. I think there's a demo as well with the opening mission which is a good showcase of the game at high octane. Really though its the character's that bring it through, even when the plot is ropey you just want to see them come through bad situations, and the tension of knowing they can die at any time (and they actually can in this one) is brilliant).

Nex Machina is one of the most perfectly crafted gameplay experiences ever and my game of the generation.

As much as I like them (the following will sound quite negative but actually I'm a fan of Japanese shmups...), I'd take Nex Machina over the entire (often interchangeable if you aren't a hardcore fan of scoring systems) post 1993ish Japanese shmup library, particularly the Cave stuff which may as well be reskins of DoDonPachi with increasingly iffy artstyles as far as the non-hardcore are concerned, because the gameplay is just more exciting and it's easier for a "normal" player to enjoy progression through increasingly skilled control of the character caused by experience/familiarity and feels more improvisational, without the need for rote memorisation of stages and bullet patterns.

Nex Machina is all about learning the controls and figuring out an approach that works for you, as opposed to needing to memorise everything beyond an easy opening first stage in order to make any progress (as in most modern Japanese shmups), and for me that's a much more enjoyable/satisfying experience. 

Recently I was trying to think of games from the gen that I'll still be playing in 10 years and it was the one that immediately came to mind.

Paid full price for it on PS4 and Steam and I'd happily pay full price again on Switch(not happening I know).

I also really liked Resogun and Matterfall, but the latter doesn't seem too popular. Was more my cup of arcadey tea than Alienation, which I found a bit slow.

It's certainly more accessible for a 'normal' player, as you say, as are twin-stick shooters as a whole. The majority of people who enjoy the likes of Assault Android Cactus, Geometry Wars, Nex Machina or (recently) Bezier, would never touch a vertical scrolling bullet hell game. I'd say that they have relatively little in common, and twin-stick shooters' focus on moving and aiming independently arguably places them mechanically closer to FPS than, say, Ketsui.

Whether one is more exciting than another is purely down to personal preference. I probably find Robotron 2084 more exciting than Nex Machina because it's more direct and intense but they're much of a muchness to me. They're fine. Conversely, I find exploring the distinct nuances of Daioujou, Futari or Ketsui (to name three reskins) more exciting, satisfying and deeper than almost anything I've played in my life. Nex Machina likely wouldn't make my top 50 games of the last gen.

I'm aware that it has a loyal fanbase that goes far beyond the STG community, though. Good Cane and Rinse episode on it. Shame that Housemarque spat their dummy that it didn't do as well as they'd hoped as there's been a massive resurgence in arcade gaming, but I'll look forward to Returnal. 

Horizon Zero Dawn doesn't get the credit it deserves. It looks great, the story is miles better than most games and the action is breathtaking at times.

Valkyria Chronicles is a stellar SRPG which, while sickly sweet at times, is a good challenge with the same great mechanics from the previous games.

Everybody's Golf, while not as good as the PS3 (or even the Vita) version, is still a wonderful and unique experience. 

Just in case anyone was using this thread as a reference for playstation exclusives, here's a quick list of games that are mentioned in this thread, but aren't playstation exclusive games -

Journey
rez infinite
horizon zero dawn
Flower
DariusBurst Chronicle Saviours
Nex Machina
street fighter V
Death stranding
everybody's gone to the rapture
Detroit
Nioh, Nioh2

On 08/02/2021 at 19:26, Marlew said:

B Tier

Nex Machina 

The Uncharted Collection

F1y1mVt.jpg

7 hours ago, partious said:

needing to memorise everything beyond an easy opening first stage in order to make any progress (as in most modern Japanese shmups)

Woah there, tiger!
No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Marlew is smelly bathwater wrong. Nex Machina is S tier. Shmups are great.

There are shmups that lean more heavily towards memorisation than improv (after the tutorial stage, as you say) but they tend to be the more traditional old school games, rather than the bullet hell shmups you're talking about.

There is a lot of memorisation in Nex Machina. You have to keep playing until the secret human, secret level locations and beacons etc. are engrained in your brain.
There is a bonus for completing the stages quickly. You have to learn the stages and enemy placements and forge a route.

I'd say nex machina has far more in common with the oldschool memorisers you dislike than the fly by the seat of pants, rely on your reactions, "a blind clear is possible" slower bullets, less memo-heavy bullet hell games you're talking about.

I think you'd love Monolith, by the way. You played that? - https://store.steampowered.com/app/603960/Monolith/

On 08/02/2021 at 23:49, therearerules said:

I really hated what I played of David Cage's other games, but I was pleasantly surprised by Detroit. It's the first time he's made a game with a proper team of writers, and you can really tell because despite the occasional Cage-ish histrionics and implausible plot developments, it's genuinely well-written and has some absolutely knockout scenes, of the kind you don't normally get in games.

Like, there's one bit where you play a woman who's on the run with her adopted daughter, you're homeless and destitute, and the objective of this setpiece is to find a safe place to sleep for the night in a rundown section of inner city. It's like nothing I've ever played before in a game, and is pretty insightful and involving. It's not exactly kitchen-sink realism, but it's well-executed and gives you at least some appreciation of what that kind of bleak experience would be like. 

There are three interlocking stories in the game, and one of them is pretty silly but the other two are worth it. The story actually seems to branch in the way that Telltale games don't, and your choices have real impact. I really liked it.