You should try some gamedev if you've daydreamed about it before!

robdood

Y'know, I've got the first ten issues of Wireframe with their Unity tutorials just sitting there. I even installed Unity and everything. And I bought Dreams the other week. I should get back in to that.

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Y'know, I've got the first ten issues of Wireframe with their Unity tutorials just sitting there. I even installed Unity and everything. And I bought Dreams the other week. I should get back in to that.

Yes, you should!

2 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Can't be arsed. Well done though.

A shame. I'd forgotten how cool it feels to have a bit of a creative obsession on the go! 

And fanks :D

1 minute ago, Kryptonian said:

I was thinking about doing this a few hours ago! I saw a humble bundle with a bunch of coding/unity things in it and was going to read up on unity and if it’s good or useful

I'd heartily recommend it if you're in any way tempted!  Worth pointing out, I've done everything in lolf from scratch, using free unity and no assets from their store (free or paid!).  

I keep thinking: if i start with something simple, like the Atari 2600, and spend a bit of time breaking shit down like I used to do with pascal

start with a concept 

break down the concept into chunks (game logic, game field, sprites, sound, controls,  sundries)

break the chunks down and rewrite as code:

draw the [game field]

monitor [input]

draw the [sprites] and move as necessary, depending on the input from [controls]

use the [game logic] to update the [game field] and [sprites], maybe play [sound], update [sundries]

etc etc

I can see it in my head, but I don't fancy it

and I don't fancy machine code, even if it is just 4K...

Good work @robdood, looks good!

It’s satisfying when it starts coming together, and also strangely addictive as I find it easy to get on a roll and then it’s early hours of the morning.

I’ve been making a (fairly basic) shooter in Gamemaker for the past several months and pretty pleased with how it’s coming together, but also daunted by how much I’ve still got to do haha. I should probably try and take a newer video of it at some point - I posted one in the Shmup thread a while back and it’s looking a lot different now.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Did the same thing, even keep it updated, after they published that massive FPS tutorial. Gotta find the time to do something, especially given the number of games I've seen recently with the little unity logo. 

48 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Amazing stuff! Been thinking a lot about having a go at it, started a few of the Unity tutorials but it would be nice to put together a wee thing that's mine.

Yeah 100% this! It's nice to know all the stuff I did behind the scenes to make it work. All mine :)

43 minutes ago, Jonster said:

Good work @robdood, looks good!

It’s satisfying when it starts coming together, and also strangely addictive as I find it easy to get on a roll and then it’s early hours of the morning.

I’ve been making a (fairly basic) shooter in Gamemaker for the past several months and pretty pleased with how it’s coming together, but also daunted by how much I’ve still got to do haha. I should probably try and take a newer video of it at some point - I posted one in the Shmup thread a while back and it’s looking a lot different now.

I need to see it! 

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

I keep thinking: if i start with something simple, like the Atari 2600, and spend a bit of time breaking shit down like I used to do with pascal

start with a concept 

break down the concept into chunks (game logic, game field, sprites, sound, controls,  sundries)

break the chunks down and rewrite as code:

draw the [game field]

monitor [input]

draw the [sprites] and move as necessary, depending on the input from [controls]

use the [game logic] to update the [game field] and [sprites], maybe play [sound], update [sundries]

etc etc

I can see it in my head, but I don't fancy it

and I don't fancy machine code, even if it is just 4K...

You might enjoy something like Pico8. 

Great work everyone whose giving this a go!

ive started a few times but always give up. Well guess i did make a few really simple games a long time ago.

anyway the main reason for posting was when i was looking into unity, someone posted these tutorials in another thread on here (sorry not sure how to find it), and they were really good (i did about half of them), so if anyones interested:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUtKzyIe0aB3TZfe2wsIgJgGZW5G_NAxa

I think there's definitely something in the idea of 'making something you want to play'.  Which is why I kinda feel like I need to try an make something else now :)

Anyway Always Surrender looks ace, lots of stuff going on there, as I said on PM I can totally appreciate the numbers of moving parts!!  Looks like it might be a bit too hard/intense for me though :lol:

How do you 'suck in' the medals? is there a button or is it from staying still?

As for the look, what do you find off? is it an aesthetic thing or a readability / functional thing?

5 minutes ago, Jonster said:

Made a quick video this morning to PM Rob, who said I should've posted it here, so here it is:

The parts at the side can be turned off with the important bits appearing in the play area instead so it can look less busy. The bottom left one hasn't got a title as I haven't worked out what to call it yet :lol:

Something feels off to me about how it looks at the moment, but I haven't worked out what yet. I don't know if that's due to something actually being wrong or just over-exposure. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it's going though, and at the very least I find it a lot of fun (both making and playing).

I’d be buzzing off my tits if I made that.

If @ImmaculateClump had posted that vid to say “this is now out on steam” or whatever, I wouldn’t question it!

Top skills!

35 minutes ago, Jonster said:

Something feels off to me about how it looks at the moment, but I haven't worked out what yet.

For me it’s that the medals are solid so are too hard to differentiate from the enemies, I have eyesight issues though so that could just be me. If you could amend their opacity  or something it might have an impact?

Everything else is great!

I have been meaning to have a go at doing a Speccy game using this - https://jonathan-cauldwell.itch.io/multi-platform-arcade-game-designer

You can create games for Spectrum, Amstrad CPC and MSX, it's a combination of tools and you use a simple BASIC-ish scripting language to do the game logic. 

It's just finding a decent amount of time without the distractions, getting beyond a "hello world" and finding a taste for it, that's my issue. 

I've been pondering doing a little game development for a while and have, over the years dabbled a little.

As a software developer by trade I've strangely struggled for a silly reason. I write code in C++, Java, JS (and others) for a living and do so for Linux based server applications. As a result tooling is VS Code. I'm used to starting with an empty file and writing code. So when I'm presented with Unity or any other game engine environment it oddly feels like cheating. Like this is the paint by numbers version of game development. It's not. I know it's not. But somehow I expect to build most things from scratch. Like to start by writing a game loop.

So, I'm going to try diving in and making something I think.

A few years back I did play with some soft body physics in Cocos2D and the Box2D physics engine.

My attention span won't let me do shit like this. I tried to do a YouTube space invaders clone tutorial but I struggle to parse the nesting and beginning and end of what goes where.

There was a point to doing this but I can't for the life of me remember what game i.wanted to make. Oh well.

I toyed around in (don’t laugh) Fusion many months ago and it’s great for immediately getting things on the screen that have behaviour and stuff, but I’m too lazy to expand beyond five-second playthings...

6 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I toyed around in (don’t laugh) Fusion many months ago and it’s great for immediately getting things on the screen that have behaviour and stuff, but I’m too lazy to expand beyond five-second playthings...

I used that as a kid when it was called The Games Factory. :D

It came in a massive box with a fat ring bound instruction manual. I made a couple of basic shooters, a version of Pong, and then turned that into "Pong Football" which was genuinely fun to play. I started to make a sort of Stargate rip-off after that, making some cunning use of looped explosion animations for the wormhole effects. You couldn't do much in it other than jump between a few planets though.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it's still around in some form, and picked it up on Steam a few years ago. It's probably about time I actually checked it out.

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Looks like it might be a bit too hard/intense for me though :lol:

How do you 'suck in' the medals? is there a button or is it from staying still?

There's a novice mode that limits how hectic it gets, at least at the outset  I didn't want the start to be too dull or predictable (it picks a random enemy type as a bonus at the start ignoring their usual spawn timer) as I remember playing similar score attack games and the ramp up time becomes mind numbing after a while! The medals suck in if you stop firing for about a third of a second. It's a bit risky as it builds up the enemies on screen a bit, but is the easiest way to increase the multiplier.

42 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

For me it’s that the medals are solid so are too hard to differentiate from the enemies, I have eyesight issues though so that could just be me. If you could amend their opacity  or something it might have an impact?

Everything else is great!

You know I think that might be it. They used to be even brighter so I dulled them down a little, but changing the opacity could just be the extra touch it needs. Thanks!

30 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I want to shovel 10ps into that.

The game is now free to play, but there's a premium currency required to play the game. 10p per game, but it's sold in multiples of 9p (except 90p). :lol:

(this isn't happening)