You should try some gamedev if you've daydreamed about it before!

Some impressive stuff in here. BoulderDash in a couple of days is some amazing work! I do like Unity though, I converted Millie and Molly from C64 to Android/iOS in less that 6 weeks with no prior knowledge of the system.

11 minutes ago, carleton said:

Some impressive stuff in here. BoulderDash in a couple of days is some amazing work! I do like Unity though, I converted Millie and Molly from C64 to Android/iOS in less that 6 weeks with no prior knowledge of the system.

I think it was a couple of days. May have been 3 or 4 at most. Ask Saul, he'll tell you. The most tedious part was doing the layout for the levels. Everything is in there as well, the slimes and the different fireflies. I think I only did three of the levels but as all the levels just run off a big array layout, it wouldn't take me too long to do all twenty.

13 hours ago, robdood said:

So this might come across a bit humblebraggy, but I'm dead pleased with my efforts so am sharing here in a hope to encourage others to find something good to do during these rubbish lockdown times!

So, for the last few weeks I've been mucking about in Unity.  I've wanted to dabble for ages as I've always got lots of game ideas bouncing round my brain.  So yeah, given I was finding even gaming, my one coping mechanism that's never failed me, a bit tedious, I thought I'd just have a go. 

I haven't done any coding since uni days, nearly 20 years ago.  Jesus.  

Anyway.  I wanted to do something simple to begin, to get me back into coding and to start thinking about how to plan/organise things while developing. 

So I present to you all: LOLF, a rubbish, rainy, 2D golf game. 

Here's a video of what I've managed to create in the last month

And if you're really interested, here's a gdrive link with the windows/android versions if you want to have a play!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MX-7ruUq0Q2plP-yG20DQqzgr5YyTNBJ?usp=sharing

I'm not even sure if I'll finish it.  I'd like try making something where I control a character properly next!  Maybe like a goofy mini-don't starve with better combat. 

TLDR - I finally got round to trying to make a game and it was a lot more straightforward than anticipated!  Though obvs mind-bendingly annoying sometimes. But dead satisfying!!

You should try it!

Have you dabbled? 

If you do, head over to Creative sub forum and join the gamedev thread! :D

Looks great. The rain and music give it such a dour, philosphical atmosphere I think you should rename it to 'Midlife Crisis Golf' (although some might say that's a tautology).

13 hours ago, SeanR said:

I keep thinking: if i start with something simple, like the Atari 2600, and spend a bit of time breaking shit down like I used to do with pascal

start with a concept 

break down the concept into chunks (game logic, game field, sprites, sound, controls,  sundries)

break the chunks down and rewrite as code:

draw the [game field]

monitor [input]

draw the [sprites] and move as necessary, depending on the input from [controls]

use the [game logic] to update the [game field] and [sprites], maybe play [sound], update [sundries]

etc etc

I can see it in my head, but I don't fancy it

and I don't fancy machine code, even if it is just 4K...

I dunno, old 8-bit machines like that were insanely hard to write for in many ways, and quite a different mind-set to modern programming.  Unless you're into the old-style hardware then I suspect writing a game in Unity would be a lot more fulfilling and less annoying.

1 hour ago, squirtle said:

The most tedious part was doing the layout for the levels.

This is where I'd have differed. I'd have started by grabbing the levels from Boulderdash and making my game run them. Both Grid Pix and Millie and Molly started like that. There's something satisfying to me about accessing old data like that. From memory Boulderdash has quite a clever way of generating levels. I think they're pseudo-randomly generated.

And I agree with Ste, use a modern tool to code something. Trying a 2600 would be tough going.

I made a little Unity game at university back in 2012- back then, four of us in our group split up for a week to learn how to use it and by the time we reconvened, we all had the same rudiments of the game in place, with no prior experience. I keep thinking about dipping my toe back in, especially after seeing how their documentation has come along in leaps and bounds since I last looked all that time ago. It looks like they've done a really good job of "gamifying" it in the interim and I'd like to try some low-poly 3D stuff.

23 minutes ago, carleton said:

This is where I'd have differed. I'd have started by grabbing the levels from Boulderdash and making my game run them. Both Grid Pix and Millie and Molly started like that. There's something satisfying to me about accessing old data like that. From memory Boulderdash has quite a clever way of generating levels. I think they're pseudo-randomly generated.

I'm not sure if I was clear. I did get the layouts of the original and just built them using an array to draw the levels. Just read a making of and it isn't clear whether the levels were pseudo-random in the design phase or whether that's how they were done in game. Which seems odd... It's not clear whether he's using a seed for procedural generation... 

Just to say, I'm OK in c# but I have no idea when it comes to assembler...

This thread getting bumped a lot will inspire me to sit down with Unity, I think. Man I love homebrew dev. Plus, I've always wanted to get into C#, like since they rolled out the home dev stuff with the 360.

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

This thread getting bumped a lot will inspire me to sit down with Unity, I think. Man I love homebrew dev. Plus, I've always wanted to get into C#, like since they rolled out the home dev stuff with the 360.

Bump!

On 10/02/2021 at 11:17, thesnwmn said:

So when I'm presented with Unity or any other game engine environment it oddly feels like cheating. Like this is the paint by numbers version of game development. It's not. I know it's not. But somehow I expect to build most things from scratch. Like to start by writing a game loop.

I completely get this, despite using Unity almost exclusively for the last 9 years I’m right there with you.  Some part of it to me feels like a toy, I think it’s because it’s so black boxed with no access to the engine code unless you pay for it.  If you go back to 2012 you’ll find me tweeting about “how do you set up a game loop in unity”.  Coming from the world of console & pc dev it takes a bit of getting used to.

We mainly use it for its multi platform capabilities and for dealing with shit we don’t really want to like IAP & ads.  Then write hundreds of thousands of lines of C# to make a game underneath.

So much of unity dev is finding the workarounds to the shit they haven’t fixed, or ways to optimise for their shit.  Especially on mobile where memory is an issue.  My kingdom for manual memory management.

The next project has begun. Holy crap animation is hard. I need to do some proper research before getting too deep. 

But it's a first step toward making a game I actually want to play! :D and I think I've done OK considering I've never done any animation before! 

I had to give up on Lolf because when it came down to it, it was hard to make the courses fun or interesting. 

Posted this in the game dev thread as well but here’s my current project, it’s a bit of a Diablo style thing:

This evening I added player hit reaction animations, player attacks, enemy health, enemy hit reactions, an enemy death state and reworked the combat zone where you are armed to be a trigger you pass through so I can just put it over entrances. 

I need to add an inventory, equipment system, merchants, stats and a levelling system and a quest system. After that I’m planning on adding food and fatigue to make it a bit of a don’t starve style thing. After that I’m thinking about adding weather, maybe seasons and then overhauling the graphics before starting to properly load some content in. 

On 10/02/2021 at 11:35, Mogster said:

I used that as a kid when it was called The Games Factory. :D

It came in a massive box with a fat ring bound instruction manual. I made a couple of basic shooters, a version of Pong, and then turned that into "Pong Football" which was genuinely fun to play. I started to make a sort of Stargate rip-off after that, making some cunning use of looped explosion animations for the wormhole effects. You couldn't do much in it other than jump between a few planets though.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it's still around in some form, and picked it up on Steam a few years ago. It's probably about time I actually checked it out.

I had The Games Factory too - it felt like such a luxury product at the time with the fat manual. I seem to remember having some logic that I was too poor to afford new games so might as well make my own... As it is I ended up making a few games that tried to copy screenshots of games I never actually played, one of which was Pang (Buster Bros).

Not being familiar with the game already I had to make lots of assumptions about things like how the bullets should behave and if the trails should pop the balloons or if it should be on direct hits. When I actually played Pang years later I was delighted to find that a lot of my logical design decisions were pretty close to how they were in the original game.

On 11/02/2021 at 19:16, The Bag said:

I completely get this, despite using Unity almost exclusively for the last 9 years I’m right there with you.  Some part of it to me feels like a toy, I think it’s because it’s so black boxed with no access to the engine code unless you pay for it.  If you go back to 2012 you’ll find me tweeting about “how do you set up a game loop in unity”.  Coming from the world of console & pc dev it takes a bit of getting used to.

We mainly use it for its multi platform capabilities and for dealing with shit we don’t really want to like IAP & ads.  Then write hundreds of thousands of lines of C# to make a game underneath.

So much of unity dev is finding the workarounds to the shit they haven’t fixed, or ways to optimise for their shit.  Especially on mobile where memory is an issue.  My kingdom for manual memory management.

I get where are both coming from.  I've always liked to start out with the basics - can I plot a pixel, how do I move my double buffer to the screen during the vblank interrupt... and you can develop on from there.  To an extent that's all good if you are developing on a fixed platform and you want to spend the next months developing your own engine, but if you want to get going quickly and have a very easy way of getting your code out to lots of different platforms then Unity is a breeze.  It's not the only engine though - there's Unreal, of course, and Godot which is fully open source so you can tweak it to your needs.

My FPV sim which I've been tinkering at for more than a year now (and you can get it on Steam or GitHub)  started with me just messing around generating landscapes on my Mac, but I makes packages for Linux 32/64, and Win 32/64 as well as MacOS.  It took me about an hour to get a running version on my iPhone (and most of that was fighting with Xcode about licensing and the meta data I was using)

The fact I could take unmodified code developed on desktop, then run it on my phone with a decent frame rate and go online with cross-platform users blew my mind.  This was never released though, the sim still needed keyboard input so will need some tweaks for a mobile release.