Valheim - strangely compelling Viking survival game

18 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

WTFMoses has started on this and it looks ridiculously fleshed out for an early access title.

Still waiting for you in Tarkov! 

/tapswatch. ;)

Started a game last night with one of my mates. It's a little clunky but it's definitely got a certain confidence that bodes well for it's future. We played for several hours and built a badly roofed hut, and had great fun doing it all. Planning to drag in some others on Friday, looking forward to it.

I was gifted a copy by a wonderful forumite last night <3

I played for about two hours last night, and it's fantastic. 

Spoiler

I managed some basics got some tools, a workbench, campfire, chest & a bed and had a hilarious first death. 

It looks like it has some real depth, straight from the word go it tells you all about why you are there and what is going on.

Each time Odin's crow comes it adds something to the game, and every Rune adds to the rich tapestry of Norse Mythology. 

I made my first a couple of kills last night and have opened up the ability to craft shields which is what I need at least to take on that first boss.

The thing that is bugging me at the moment is trying to work out how craft a pickaxe to break open those damn rocks everywhere. 

37 minutes ago, Danster said:

Started a game last night with one of my mates. It's a little clunky but it's definitely got a certain confidence that bodes well for it's future. We played for several hours and built a badly roofed hut, and had great fun doing it all. Planning to drag in some others on Friday, looking forward to it.

Make sure you've got a chimney!

I got this on Monday and it really is fun as fuck. You can play on your own as the game scales the difficulty by the amount of players on but we’ve gone all out and rented our own server so that we aren’t dependant on one person being online to be able to improve our village. 

it’s not even about the progression in this really, it’s all about making your own story in a world where you can do something with everything. 

last night

Spoiler

we took our ship and sailed off to the north of our village where we had fought the second boss and my mate found this massive supply of materials, loaded up ourselves and our ship with it and then whilst sailing back across the ocean we got attacked by two sea serpents.

Two of us were shooting them with our bows and my mate was sailing away as fast as he could trying to get us to land before they fucked our boat and it was just nuts but so much fun :lol:

the whole world is made as you go so no two games are the same but this really is worth the £15. 

Just had my second death and then a really fucking annoying glitch where i spawned under my roof and couldn't get out and of course i cannot break the wooden roof with my bare hands.

A new play through for me, it seems. 

37 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Just had my second death and then a really fucking annoying glitch where i spawned under my roof and couldn't get out and of course i cannot break the wooden roof with my bare hands.

A new play through for me, it seems. 

we’ve had that happen, if you are really stuck you can reset spawn point 

1 hour ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Two of us have built stuff too close to our beds and got stuck after respawning. It's funnier when you're the rescuer!

52 minutes ago, Wickedkitten said:

we’ve had that happen, if you are really stuck you can reset spawn point 

Ah, bollocks I made a second character on the same world, was good to know that i can take over the structures made by my first character by destroying the bed and building my own one. 

Finally, worked out I can add my own pins to the map which is making life a hell of a lot easier. 

@Sie and I just set out, woefully under equipped on a shitty little raft across the ocean. Got into a massive storm, raft falling apart underneath us when we finally made land, but stuck in a ruined settlement with no amenities, soaking wet through the rain, cold and starting to get hungry..

Love it. 

Not really a spoiler, but eh - it's about hunting / setting up your base.

Spoiler

I hear if you make a pen for animals and tame them you then have to feed the little buggers when they get hungry. I'm wondering if they can die from starvation, as I don't really want to spend my time ensuring that the snuffling little blighters aren't getting snuffed out from lack of food. Sounds like a little bit too much micromanagement, and I'm not keen on letting them all pop their clogs through lack of attention. 

I don't actually own the game yet, so it's not something I can check.

On 12/02/2021 at 20:44, Kayin Amoh said:

Not really a spoiler, but eh - it's about hunting / setting up your base.

Reveal hidden contents

I hear if you make a pen for animals and tame them you then have to feed the little buggers when they get hungry. I'm wondering if they can die from starvation, as I don't really want to spend my time ensuring that the snuffling little blighters aren't getting snuffed out from lack of food. Sounds like a little bit too much micromanagement, and I'm not keen on letting them all pop their clogs through lack of attention. 

I don't actually own the game yet, so it's not something I can check.

Spoiler

One of my mates had a boar in a pen that got neglected for about an in game week and it didn't die, it was just very unhappy and hungry

Unfortunately it was killed in the night by something else

Yeah we captured two and...

Spoiler

...now have 11! :D 

They don't die if you don't feed them, but they only breed if you do.

Quite pleased with my rickety tower:

20210214165450_1.thumb.jpg.72a66fed80ef09f6e1c11295770618b9.jpg

It's as high as I could build with standard wood.

We also discovered a cave by the sea... and some dungeons in the woods last night! :) Needless to say I've now got a nice blue outfit. Really great game, absolutely nails it for me - proper co-op with drop in and out (albeit I'm the host), building and mining and crafting done well and so far nicely progressive. Simple yet satisfying combat... hunting... It's great. 

I have to say this game is outstanding. Depsite the low res art style it looks fantastic. They have nailed a really atmospheric feeling, which switches effortlessly from lovely and sunny, to dark and ominous all too quickly. 

But the realy clincher is the finely tuned progression. 

You start the game with a weight on your shoulders , the weight is the other early access, "brutal" survival games you have played. And while the mechanics are very similar, you start off picking up branches and stones, before long you are chopping down trees and mining. But the game very quickly starts to endeer itself to you and rather than becoming tedious it keeps on giving.

Its just got... something.  It may be that the formula has been distillled to some critical point. It may be the seemingly small quality of life improvements ... for example repairs are free. I can't tell you what a relief this is! It's also a massive relief that you don't have to worry about pvp ganking, any pvp has to be toggled on both side.

Exploration is a joy despite it being procedurally generated. The biomes are very nicely handled. Striking out and finding the ideal spot for your second base is fantastic. The building is quickly learned and gives a huge range of possibilities. Your travel options expand over time and your range goes up. The map look huge and we have barely scratched the surface (At about 40 hours in).

The combat is a little clunky (especially on slopes) but has more depth than it might initially seem , it ends up being quite satisfying. 

The threats escalate, new things unlock and you keep improving your skills, finding new and even more dangerous challenges .

Yes you will die , but the penalty is a skill drop and you can usually get your stuff back. So its not too bad (usually). But you feel the pressure and it forces and enjoyably tense caution on your exploration.  Sure my base got smashed up by a %$&** but the materials lie there indefinitley  and can be retrieved allowing quick rebuilds if the worst happens. 

It really shines in co-op, the added man power takes the slog out of many of the longer tasks and gives you way more options in combat. Tankier guys with more armour and knockback weapons, backed up by archers for example. 

It's RPG lite and streamlined crafting / survival at its best.

Recommend.