Valheim - strangely compelling Viking survival game

Finished a Core wood Gatehouse for our base last night.

Spoiler

20210224222628_1.thumb.jpg.7cbe36ee17c194df6f33dcc87d0abd19.jpg

Our group have been progressing slowly, mainly because only two of us play it non-stop and we're more interested in building stuff than fighting bosses. However, we did manage to take down boss two on Friday night, which was nice.

We've also dipped our toes into the swamp biome, which is... horrible! Did have a bug which was a shame, where my mate died in the swamp and his grave simply disappeared. Shame, he lost ALOT of decent gear which we've spent the last two days mining and smelting and crafting to replace. 

Not many games make busywork this much fun.

33 minutes ago, Danster said:

Finished a Core wood Gatehouse for our base last night.

Hide contents

20210224222628_1.thumb.jpg.7cbe36ee17c194df6f33dcc87d0abd19.jpg

Our group have been progressing slowly, mainly because only two of us play it non-stop and we're more interested in building stuff than fighting bosses. However, we did manage to take down boss two on Friday night, which was nice.

We've also dipped our toes into the swamp biome, which is... horrible! Did have a bug which was a shame, where my mate died in the swamp and his grave simply disappeared. Shame, he lost ALOT of decent gear which we've spent the last two days mining and smelting and crafting to replace. 

Not many games make busywork this much fun.

Fuck the swamp, seriously :lol: 

Sie and I went there yesterday. On the way we happened across the ruins of an old settlement. This wasn't a couple of shacks in the middle of nowhere, this had a town hall, 5 or 6 dwellings and some animal pens. All a bit dilapidated but nothing a bit of TLC wouldn't fix. And lots of buzzing noises too so beehives to claim and get the queens from and this was right on the edge of the swamp so perfect base material and a quick respawn point for the inevitable swamp deaths.

Except the buzzing wasn't bees, it was flies and the settlement wasn't abandoned. I'll leave it there as I don't want to spoil things but I will say sie said an awful lot of "fuck!" over comms and there was a lot of very near deaths and plenty of Benny Hill chase sequences. 

3 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Fuck the swamp, seriously :lol: 

Sie and I went there yesterday. On the way we happened across the ruins of an old settlement. This wasn't a couple of shacks in the middle of nowhere, this had a town hall, 5 or 6 dwellings and some animal pens. All a bit dilapidated but nothing a bit of TLC wouldn't fix. And lots of buzzing noises too so beehives to claim and get the queens from and this was right on the edge of the swamp so perfect base material and a quick respawn point for the inevitable swamp deaths.

Except the buzzing wasn't bees, it was flies and the settlement wasn't abandoned. I'll leave it there as I don't want to spoil things but I will say sie said an awful lot of "fuck!" over comms and there was a lot of very near deaths and plenty of Benny Hill chase sequences. 

Just saw in the new patch notes the name of what was there and thought "not encountered those bastards yet" so i know to stick to Black Forest for a while.

Also are Trolls exclusively multi-player based? Reason i ask is i've not seen one in my solo game!

7 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Just saw in the new patch notes the name of what was there and thought "not encountered those bastards yet" so i know to stick to Black Forest for a while.

Also are Trolls exclusively multi-player based? Reason i ask is i've not seen one in my solo game!

Just for you Arn:

image.png.a777d6d020fcec9fdbcd5e94345a7ebe.png

56 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Ok so just opened the game after the new patch and i've got:-

Play Valheim

or 

Play Valheim with Vulkan

Which is it i want now?

I think Vulkan is an API that traditionally plays better with AMD cards so if you have one of those, you may see performance increases. If you're on Nvidia I'd carry on as normal.

Just now, Wickedkitten said:

Oh what a game. Just finished the last boss at 159 hours and I need mooooooore

hahaha wow.

Pics of your base?

We are still in the black forest, I tried to lead an early expedition to the second boss with a basic raft but we gave up and were woefully under prepared. 

I bought this yesterday after hearing good things about it on Bombcast. I've never played anything like this before, never even seen Minecraft running etc. I'm aware that I want to avoid spoilers and learn for myself but I'm just walking around like a fucking ediot. Also, megalulz... it gave me motion sickness! da fuq :(

I might just cull my character and start again with the confidence of some root ginger coursing through my system. 

Its staring to make more sense now :) Not sure if I should sack off using a keyboard and switch to pad as I'm so fecking slow with my WASD skillz. One thing, what sort of FPS are you all getting? Running a 3070 its like barley over 60FPS at any time. 

17 minutes ago, idiwa said:

Its staring to make more sense now :) Not sure if I should sack off using a keyboard and switch to pad as I'm so fecking slow with my WASD skillz. One thing, what sort of FPS are you all getting? Running a 3070 its like barley over 60FPS at any time. 

If you do some tweaks, you should get it wheat over 60FPS.

*ahem*

I'm running a 3070FE too but I can't say I've got an FPS counter going. It's smooth 90% of the time but turning quickly or going into an area you've done a lot of remodelling work in ( apparently lots of digging, raising and levelling of the floor really impacts the FPS) and you can see the FPS drop sharply.

I'm not overly worried. It's early beta and they know there are some performance issues. Pretty confident they'll have them sorted.

I have read that using Vulkan increases FPS for some people idiwa, so maybe give that a try? 

Also 3070 here, everything set to max and running on an ultrawide 3440x1440, getting 60fps.

In game news, I battered Eikthyr with ease, clearly I’m seriously over-powered having left taking him on for ages.

Now built some beach-front property and my first raft, and went for a very slow pootle around an adjoining island. All chilled until some cheeky fucking greydwarf dived in to swim after me and attack my raft. Didn’t swim so well with two arrows in him.

Three hours gone in what felt like minutes. Amazing game, just utterly eats time.

We've started to tame the swamp :)

It's great how what was once a mysterious dangerous place becomes much easier to deal with. Trolls are just a bit of a nuisance now, greydwarves almost entirely ignored - their tickles meaningless. And the same is happening in the swamp, bit by bit.

Some good loot to be found in there, recommend anyone venturing forth to beat the second boss first. 

We took out our third boss last night.

Me and a friend filled long boat with iron. We sailed it back to his house, I out my half on a cart and I headed home. Well, the cart was having none of it and I took a wrong turn down the side of a steep cliff in the dark Forrest. 

So I set up camp, stashed it, went home, got the stuff for my own ship and wedged the cart on the ship and set off. The sail home was a nightmare. The ship was at a 45degree a hole, the sail caused the cart to vibrate and I was fearful of everything. 

I managed to get near to my base, only to be killed by a troll as I got off the ship. A few corpse runs and expletives later and I killed the troll and floated the cart home down the edge of a river.

The whole thing probably took 5 hours. 

Still. 260ish iron to smelt.

This is what it's all about! :) 

We've done all the bosses now which makes me a bit sad. Still got some base renovations to make, and maybe some exploring to do.

But mainly a case of waiting for the next patch I guess.

Overall I have loved this little adventure. 

I feel like they really need to make your attacks go in the direction your pointer is facing on the vertical axis. Fighting creatures on the slope with many weapons is an absoloute nightmare.

Also it badly needs and upside down version of the wedge shaped wall and a flat roofing piece! 

12 hours ago, snowbind said:

Still. 260ish iron to smelt.

Nice haul!

We had a mixture of bad fortune, sheer incompentency and lucky escapes yesterday.

But first up here's a layered spoiler for you, there is a place in the world you can go with your gold....

Spoiler

There's a trader on the map. He sells stuff like

Spoiler

An extra belt for carrying more weight, fishing rods and bait and other items.

He may not exist on your world, however some clever peeps have put together a tool you can load your game DB up to and it will give you layered hints as to where he may be.

https://valheim-trader-finder.vercel.app/

The first hint is a vague direction and distance from the centre of the world. 

The second hint is a rough area drawn on a large circle of where he might be.

The third is a console command to jump straight there... lol

Anyway, in search of that and with only vague instructions on the area of the world to go to, we started searching. My mate started by circling an island in a raft, got caught by the wind and died. So returned in a proper boat, rescued his stuff and then got blown well off course and ended up in the Plains (argh - buzz buzz, if you know what I mean...).

We started the search again. This time with a slightly more pinpointed location. Realising it must be another island over we decided to warp to an existing portal and then boat it across a small channel to that island and then continue our search on foot. We created a temporary portal at our portal hub, jumped to the closest one we could and created a boat... except we hadn't bought any deer skins... a quick jump back revealed my pockets full of crap, so I emptied them (including ALL my grey dwarf eyes) and we jumped back, created the boat and set sail. 

Well it was all swamp to start with so we boated down the coast until we found some meadow - which took about 20 mins. Finally we landed and set about creating a defendable base to build a portal. My mate is better at a quick build (that looks good) then me, so I went and killed some deer, saw a 2star, chased it, saw it explode, realised I was near Plains heard the telltale buzz, started to run, ran out of stanima and died.

FUCKSAKE

I spawned back over the water, cos we hadn't even started put down beds I died so quick. Quick debate on whether I should try and raft it - too slow - or build a boat, not really necessary, as all my mate needed to do was complete the safe hour and then go get the materials he needed for a portal from my grave...

Except of course I emptied my pockets earlier (not of fine wood or cores of course, but those grey dwarf eyes - i mean what ARE they used for....) FFS

Cue an hour of me pottering around the main base getting food preparation done, while my mate had to build a house, get some bits from my body, then go hunting grey dwarf eyes - which took soo much longer than it really ever should. And finally we had a portal up and running. The next two hours were spent boating around what turned out to be a huge island of mostly mountains and plains, drifting further and further away from our goal... avoid avoid avoid. Eventually, battling into the wind, we rechecked our rough map and decided to head in a completely different direction to another location.  Again, more mountains and plains, things in the water that hurt our boat...we sailed for an hour at least. Until finally it was dark and stormy, we couldn't see shit - just the vague outline of what could be trees. Landed again and hunkered down on some Black Forest beach, waiting for morning. 

When the morning came, we realised how lucky we'd been. a small outcrop of Black Forest surrounded by yet more plains! FFS... but on checking our in game map we realised we were very close to our goal. Leaping back into the boat and making a small crossing we finally arrived at our destination - after about 5 hours play! 

We'd achieved our goal, a small goal it seemed, but was an amazing adventure nonetheless. Love this game :)

34 minutes ago, Padaxes said:

We've done all the bosses now which makes me a bit sad.

We've only done two! We just keep exploring and building stuff instead of progressing - I guess it depends on how big a group you're playing with and/or what you like to do.

6 minutes ago, Danster said:

and ended up in the Plains (argh - buzz buzz, if you know what I mean...).

I have PTSD for this, everytime I walk by my beehives I have the urge to pull out my shield :lol:

We've only done two! We just keep exploring and building stuff instead of progressing - I guess it depends on how big a group you're playing with and/or what you like to do.

I think this is the real high point of the game relish it! My advise to anyone playing it would be to slow down on the last couple of bosses and wait for patches to come in.

I've put 74hours into this now in just over 3 weeks and I've still not done the 4th boss. I just went on a massive Iron mission this week and I'm now all kitted out in full upgraded Iron armour and weapons. Got about 100 Silver to smelt now too.

Let me share House Stig with you

Here we have the front, with defensive platform on the right, carrot and beehive garden on the left and the head of Eikthyr on display at the top

1087571725_ValheimScreenshot2021_03_03-01_02_35_43.thumb.png.e5050cbdfdc9e13bfd02c6e915879c9d.png

Moving inside, you'll see I have a nice bonfire running through the centre of the house keeping both the upstairs and downstrais toastie warm. On the left we have my forge with all currently available upgrades, a cauldron fire at the back for cooking and to the right of that, my workbench with upgrades.

1317284250_ValheimScreenshot2021_03_03-01_02_01_93.thumb.png.d5fbaa52c82be7fe43506e7b7fc6254b.png

Upstairs, a portal to one of the other main bases myself and my fellow Northmen set up further West. I also have the heads of my enemies on display for all to see, as well as a series of designated chests.

1293702941_ValheimScreenshot2021_03_03-01_12_33_47.thumb.png.2006fd1b3fe93b7e105e6779ddee5a9d.png

To the left my Dragon bed for the best nights sleep a viking can get.

624123574_ValheimScreenshot2021_03_03-01_01_20_60.thumb.png.689f3b1846438bfb59af0aa937123242.png

And at the very front, my pièce de résistance. My raven throne where I can gaze out of my house over the land, with my most prized possession by my side, as well as my mead and the head of the Elder hanging high above.

482785621_ValheimScreenshot2021_03_03-01_00_45_53.thumb.png.2794c93871fa4f51a08e960d9cdf5772.png

916588070_ValheimScreenshot2021_03_03-01_00_35_47.thumb.png.c1ee142c431789363c7a454c58f61c88.png