IGNORED

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - April 8 2022

mdn2

• 2 weeks later...

There was me thinking my lad lost his mind at the post-credits scene from the first movie... fucking hell!

It will be like when I watched the Masters of the Universe in the cinema, except Frank Langella is actually coming back.

Booked for Monday and cant wait for it.

On 14/03/2022 at 15:31, SuperCapes said:

Looks incredible. Not the biggest Sonic fan (bar Mania, that was legit), but loved the first movie. Was still nostalgic even though I was a Nintendo kid.

My son is four and his only exposure to Sonic is Sonic Mania and the first movie (which he loves, and I really enjoyed). Looking forward to booking this in when we can.

We saw this earlier today, with our 6 and 8 year olds who loved the first one. 

It was….. great! Such a fun trip to the cinema, and brilliant watching them get so into it (particularly the 6 year old). 

I really enjoyed it too. Felt up there with the first one and not a lazy cash in sequel at all. 

Some nice nods to the games as you’d expect, and Jim Carey really is a perfect Eggman. 

Kids will be stoked when they hear there’s going to be a third movie. 

38 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

Kids will be stoked when they hear there’s going to be a third movie. 

You didn't wait for the post-credits scene?

The third film doesn't look like it'll have/need Carrey, which is a big shame.

Yeah, we saw the post credits stuff but wasn’t sure if that definitely meant there would be a third (assumed it would depend on how this one did, but seems not). 

Hadn’t realised Carey is unlikely to be in the next one though. Can’t imagine it would be as good without him. 

7 hours ago, Paulando said:

Hasn’t Jim Carrey given up acting now though? Or will he be back for Sonic 3?

I thought that was an April Fool?

Went to see this with the kids today. Enjoyed the first movie and this was much the same enjoyable family stuff (with some nice nods to the older sonic games) - they prob could have cut the humans sub plot in the middle of the movie which would have made it a bit more tighter pace wise.

Yeah I agree. Some of the sub plots like the wedding was pure filler and would be the same film without it. But I enjoyed the film and it carries on the fun from the first.

I think if you liked the first, you'll like this too but this time we get Tails, Knuckles and more nods to the games. The way the've made Knuckles is really funny too. I love how serious and straight he is.

Spoiler

I also loved the Super Sonic moment, even if it was telegraphed and obvious.

Better than the first but essentially more of the same. Which is a good thing.

Loads of fun all round and yeah, loved Knuckles - very much seemed modelled on Drax from GotG. Lots of little fan touches that didn't feel out of place or forced ("Mean Bean").

It really could've done without the middle "wedding" section from a pacing perspective but guess it needed it given the reveal for the 3rd movie.. and to give those human actors at least something to do. It did feel a little bit too long as a result.

I can see us watching a third film - kids loved it.

Me and the kids saw this yesterday. 

We thought first one was a bit better but all enjoyed it - as above some good game easter eggs and its funny/likeable.  It doesn't need to be two hours, but I'd probably of jettisoned the Siberian tavern before the wedding stuff.

Given a lot of sequels to suprisingly decent first kids films can be poor/lazy then this was good stuff.

On 17/02/2021 at 11:06, MardiganX said:

Another one genuinely delighted to see this announced. My boy is currently obsessed with Sonic and his crew. Actually dropped him at his Grans this morning with his back pack loaded with his Sonic, Tails, Shadow and Knuckles figures. When he plays he is Sonic, I am Knuckles and our dog is Tails :)

Just before lockdown hit I was able to take him for his first cinema trip and it was something I will never forget. By the time things get back to some kind of normal it will be well over a year that I have missed out on that kind of thing with him. A small thing in the grand scheme I know, but that’s all it is when they are little. A collection of small things you never want to forget.

Anyway, can’t wait for this and fingers crossed I can make it an epic cinema night out for him next year :wub:

Had to bump this old post along with a quick message about the sequel 🙂

Went to see it today and absolutely loved it. At times my boy looked like he was about to feint at what was going on. It’s a perfect follow up to the surprisingly solid first movie and there are so many great moments. Tails is a great addition but it’s Idris Elba’s Knuckles that steals the show. Measured perfectly alongside Sonic and really ties beautifully back to all the things kids and even we hold onto from the games and cartoons.

They can make as many movies and spin offs as they want provided the retain they standard they have continued here. Incredible return to the cinema with my lad and well worth the wait!

I loved the Siberia bit - it’s even funnier when the

Spoiler

avalanche of snow ends up on the beach in Hawaii

Yes, there were cliches, yes bits were predictable, but it was a lot of fun and a genuinely funny script.

I thought Jim Carey was too manic in the first one, particularly before he has even met Sonic, but was perfect here.

Like my stepdaughter, I want Amy to be in the next one.

I went to see this with my daughter today. She thought it was better than the first and I thought it was OK but missing some of the heart from the original. Too much annoying human characters and I echo that the wedding plot was unnecessary. The film could have lost half an hour and been better for it. Jim Carey was good though. 

I thought this was epic. Brought a year to my eye seeing the death egg robot come back and the end credits with the nostalgic graphics. I explained to my son that was how sonic used to look when I was little 🤣

16 hours ago, Hideous Kojima said:

That was a server fuck up and you know it.

It seems to happen most frequently if the latest posts in a thread are on the next page and you're replying (and/or someone else replies in the interim). Basically, if you hit the reply button and nothing seems to happen, it's reasonable to assume the post actually got submitted but the software barfed and didn't refresh as expected.

Not sure it's one of the old server b0rks of old, where it couldn't keep up, but we're definitely a bit behind in the sort of libraries this software wants. Will be remedied on the next server. Stay tuned.

4 hours ago, TehStu said:

It seems to happen most frequently if the latest posts in a thread are on the next page and you're replying (and/or someone else replies in the interim). Basically, if you hit the reply button and nothing seems to happen, it's reasonable to assume the post actually got submitted but the software barfed and didn't refresh as expected.

Not sure it's one of the old server b0rks of old, where it couldn't keep up, but we're definitely a bit behind in the sort of libraries this software wants. Will be remedied on the next server. Stay tuned.

Is there an upgrade you can install on Hideous Kojima?

Just did some clean up to remove some of Hideous Kojima's baffling tirade against SeanR (there may have been some collateral damage regarding related posts for which I apologise), but left one of the posts that got him justifiably banned. As you were.

/mod

• 2 weeks later...