Redwall being adapted for a Netflix film & TV show

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/10/22276221/redwall-tv-show-netflix-announcement-film

Netflix announced it has enlisted Patrick McHale, creator of Cartoon Network’s “Over the Garden Wall,” to write the feature film. That film will be based on Jacques’ first book in the series, “Redwall” (there are 21 others, extending to the final book “The Rogue Crew”). Netflix is also developing an event series based on the character of Martin the Warrior.

adore these books, I read and re-read them as a child until they disintegrated. Always thought it was a shame they didn't get properly adapted, some of them would make terrific adventure films for kids. 

Not familiar with Over The Garden Wall, or any of McHale's other work, so am not sure how tentatively excited I should be about this adaptation!

Over the Garden Wall was alright, so I'm initially fairly hopeful about this. But I hold these books very dear to me, I'll be a bit miffed if they fuck it up.

I've never seen the '99 adaptation. Was it any good?

2 hours ago, Death's Head said:

Be great if someone did the Deptford Mice books next, though I'm not sure anyone would be ready for the trauma.

Yes!

There's a death in The Final Reckoning which really seriously upset me for weeks as a kid.

3 hours ago, Death's Head said:

Be great if someone did the Deptford Mice books next, though I'm not sure anyone would be ready for the trauma.

Wow, that's a blast from the past. I remember reading at least two of those, I think. Is one of the books about

Spoiler

the origin story of the evil cat, who was originally the pet of an alchemist or something?

12 minutes ago, PK said:

Yes!

There's a death in The Final Reckoning which really seriously upset me for weeks as a kid.

The series starts with one on the first page and doesn't let up. Brutal stuff.

5 minutes ago, revlob said:

Wow, that's a blast from the past. I remember reading at least two of those, I think. Is one of the books about

Hide contents

the origin story of the evil cat, who was originally the pet of an alchemist or something?

Yep, that was the prequel series The Deptford Histories. Equally as traumatic!

1 minute ago, Michael J Glocks said:

Over the Garden Wall was wonderful and I've never read Redwall, so I'm in for McHale. 

There are absolutely loads of the books but there are three (Redwall, Mossflower and Mattimeo) which act as a wonderful little trilogy in their own right.

1 hour ago, PK said:

Yes!

If you think that's bad, try reading the 'Thomas' prequel, it features a lizard assassin who kills his victims using poisoned blades that slowly and painfully disintegrates them from within. 

3 hours ago, SM47 said:

If you think that's bad, try reading the 'Thomas' prequel, it features a lizard assassin who kills his victims using poisoned blades that slowly and painfully disintegrates them from within. 

Aye, another of his books that is pretty bleak for a kids book. I remember the ending to it being a proper gut punch. I've never read any of Jacques books but it being adapted by Patrick Mchale is certainly of interest.

I would love to see Jarvis' work adapted though, I loved all his books as a child and think some of them would make for absolutely brilliant Sunday evening serialised TV (Wyrd Museum trilogy and the Whitby series are fantastic)

5 hours ago, PK said:

Yes!

Haven't read them for a while. I seem to recall there aren't a lot of survivors for the series. Was it...

Spoiler

Piccadilly? That one does stick in my head somewhat!

I remember asking for every single Redwall book as my 'main present' for xmas as a kid. I read them in chronological order. Which I later found out was daft of me? I should have read them in publication order. I still had a great time though. Looking back, the Deptford Mice books were a lot better, darker and likely more formative on my tastes. Redwall was still cool and had incredible cover art. 

I also had an absolutely fucking SICK build it yourself cardboard recreation of Redwall Abbey. 

Just now, Ran said:

Haven't read them for a while. I seem to recall there aren't a lot of survivors for the series. Was it...

Hide contents

Piccadilly? That one does stick in my head somewhat!

Yes it was! I was utterly distraught :lol:

Great collection @ph0rce! This is still one of my prized possessions:

image.png.1a0eb09fe39ea0846497473843fabc95.png

I was so nervous, and he was so warm and kind and lovely, politely listening to me babble about my favourite bits in Mossflower.

Turns out, from a quick Google, there’s another ten books after I obviously stopped reading!

I’ve kept the first book out, might give it a re-read & see how well it holds up now that I’m nearly 40. :lol:

Redwall is good, Mossflower is amazing and Mattimeo is just next fucking level. I can still vividly see in my mind's eye the sequence in the

Spoiler

underground kingdom at the end, with Matthias and the badger raging their way through the cultists to get to their kids

I'm going to read all three, I think!

It sounds like maybe they'll cover the first two books with this adaptation. Although I think there were a couple of books about Martin after Mossflower, so maybe they'll adapt those too.