LFG - Who is interested in a new Rllmuk 5e D&D campaign

Hi all

I DM for the Rllmuk D&D campaign using Roll20 and discord on a Sunday night. I am thinking of offering to DM (or play in) a Friday night campaign so I am gauging interest here.

Open to all from newbies up to experienced players, if I am DM I can accomodate both in same campaign easily. Newbies are NOT to worry about holding things up etc or not being able to RP this is about inclusive campaigns for all play types.

Not sure what the campaign will be yet although it will likely be a Wizards one and WON'T be Phandelver :D Also if someone else wants to DM then I am more than happy to play as I never get to play :D

I can only do Friday nights probably 730 til 10pm etc but times can be ironed out.

Pop your name down if interested and in what capacity/availability/level of experience etc.

Would love to play with you guys but we are about to finish LMoP and roll into Curse of Strahd. Unfortunately don't have the time to get playing more than once a week :(.

Hope to join in on the next one or if my campaign falls apart and you happen to have a spot open. I'd really like to get a go being a PC at some point.

I’d definitely be interested in this if we can get a group going. 

The only potential fly in the ointment being that I have to work the late shift one week in four, meaning that week I wouldn’t be able to join until about 8:15pm. 

Well I was going to suggest 730 to 10 initially (for no other reason than that allows for a good 2hrs of game and its what the sunday group does)  but I am open to ideas and being a little late one time in 4 isn't that bad.

So three possibles so far , a good start :D . I'll start scanning the campaign books for a good kickoff point. Please do say if you have experience of any of the official campaigns before... it is likely I will heavily modify them anyway but always good to try and keep it fresh for all.

EDIT - also let me know your levels of experience so I don't pitch stuff too high or low

Not sure how many you were looking to take part but I'd be interested in joining - I haven't played D&D for so long I've forgotten when it last was, so I'm best classed as n00b status. I'm flexible on times so would be able to fit in it whenever.

I have been a bit vague haven't I? :D  ... my recent DM history the party size has varied from 4 to 7. I think limit depends on the mix of players and abilities.

Basically for this I will try and accomodate as many as possible with a max of 8. If things start to get unweildy I can find ways to keep it manageable

I’ve played a few times over the last couple of years, but never for prolonged periods so I’d say I have a bit of experience, enough to generally hold my own.

I’ve played through LMoP but the rest was home-brew with maybe a sprinkling of ideas from Adventurers League modules, so I’m happy to play anything. I actually own all the campaign books but I made a conscious decision to do no more than flick through them and look at the pictures. 

I’m DMing LMoP at the moment, and that’s the first time I’ve played an RPG in <checks watch> 30+ years...

I’ve also bought the Essentials Kit, which I haven’t read so far, but probably will do soon...

Which campaigns do you know @Graham S

i am not at all worried that I will be dming Dms :o

oddly I am thinking of storm kings thunder as You miss out masses when you do that campaign and I have some ideas on how to stick the overarching plot threads into the blender ;-) 

not decided yet though! 

my other idea is to do what I did with ghosts of salt marsh - place the party in Faerin with a start point and a starting adventure and then using leads blur it into whatever campaign book segment we go to

thats harder for me though :-) 

Ah yes, I forgot about that. I know LMOP, SKT, WDH well. COS a bit. I’ve leafed through some of the others to see if I wanted to run them but my memory is poor at the best of times. From my perspective I don’t think it’s likely to be a problem as I’d be sure not to use any privileged info if it did spring to mind. Certainly no worries if you think it might be an issue or make more work for you, happy to bow out, especially if you can get a good sized group without me. 

The other thing I’ll say is that I would like to dip my toe in the water and see how it goes. Work has been busy lately and I found being on a Zoom for an RPG was more of the same kind of intensity at the end of a long day, so I stopped playing with my London TTRPG club. I just saw some familiar faces in the thread and thought it would be nice to join you for a bit and see if it worked out. 

9 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Ah yes, I forgot about that. I know LMOP, SKT, WDH well. COS a bit. I’ve leafed through some of the others to see if I wanted to run them but my memory is poor at the best of times. From my perspective I don’t think it’s likely to be a problem as I’d be sure not to use any privileged info if it did spring to mind. Certainly no worries if you think it might be an issue or make more work for you, happy to bow out, especially if you can get a good sized group without me. 

The other thing I’ll say is that I would like to dip my toe in the water and see how it goes. Work has been busy lately and I found being on a Zoom for an RPG was more of the same kind of intensity at the end of a long day, so I stopped playing with my London TTRPG club. I just saw some familiar faces in the thread and thought it would be nice to join you for a bit and see if it worked out. 

to be clear I am only jokingly talking about my own anxieties we all get about dming - imposter syndrome etc :D It will not be an issue at all!

love to have you on board along with everyone else. With plenty of characters in the session I hope it isn't too intense - running Strahd with 7 for 2 to 2.5 hrs means it isn't too stressful I hope.

My ideas for campaign are fluid at the moment but will distill in the next week as I need to buckle down now I have 5 interested party members.

Definitely don’t assume I’m a good DM! Or a good player! You’re way more experienced than me! I’ve DMed < 30 sessions total, and at least a third of them were pretty bad. Imposter syndrome is real but I’m actually an imposter. I just sound like I know what I’m talking about on the internet because I read a lot of D&D advice when I was trying to learn how to do it. 

With 5 names on the board I think it is time to move things forward :D - Note to anyone reading that you can still join in just pop a message here - the more the merrier :D

@Graham S@bridger@Welrain@Spatial@Seamonster - can you start to have a little think about the sort of character you'd like to play.

if you are experienced that can mean you have a strong idea of exact class and race etc. if you are a newbie then do you want to be up close fighter? a ranged attacker? A spell caster? A healer who does damage? A mix of those? If you know nothing about creating a character then go here

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Note it doesn't have all classes and races listed as those are the free rules. But we can fill you in on all the rest.

I don't have all the source books but I accept any class/race and subclass from any published Wizards source book - but if you choose something from one of the expansion books then please do point me to it so I can read up

You can use the old fashioned form fillable pdf

https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/5E_CharacterSheet_Fillable.pdf

Or be all modern and use DnD beyond where it does some of the work for you just link me to character sheet at any point.

Backstory - go simple or complex both work fine. You can start with simple D&D personality traits/flaws and stuff and then build up your back story as you go - or you can write a background if you like. Alignment is a "thing" but don't stress over it as I find it quite outmoded other than a general guide.

I am probably missing out loads of stuff here but feel free to PM me chats about character choices/questions and anything and everything.

I want this to be a completely open process so I might run an open session one night to chat through character stuff etc if needed, happy to do that.

You will all need a Roll20 account and a Discord account and I can work out how to send invites etc

I will stat a new thread once I have all my ducks in a row but

So far I've enjoyed being a cleric, a bard, a paladin and a druid. I think i quite like being support classes that have some interesting tools to play with. So if it’s ok with you i think i might like to be an artificer this time. If so i’d better read up on how they work!

With my n00bness I'm thinking of something like a Cleric (so not just a full on fighter but a bit magic'y and a support function) and I'm tempted by Knowledge Domain but depends on if the scenario lends itself to something more investigation / lore based.

If not I may go something more like Light.

48 minutes ago, Ry said:

I always wanted to play D&D but never did for a number of reasons. 

I know the general idea of it but nothing else. 

even the basic rules can be daunting but go here

https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/DnD_BasicRules_2018.pdf

And just red from page 3 introduction upto character creation and see if the whole thing appeals - obviously if you have watched a d&d youtube session or similar you may not need such a basic introduction but it will give you an idea.

22 minutes ago, Spatial said:

With my n00bness I'm thinking of something like a Cleric (so not just a full on fighter but a bit magic'y and a support function) and I'm tempted by Knowledge Domain but depends on if the scenario lends itself to something more investigation / lore based.

If not I may go something more like Light.

I have not decided on a campaign but I like to have a variety of stuff where possible, so investigation stuff as well as big bang fighty stuff and even sneaky stuff. In actuality I am led by the party more than anything as to what they want to try.

Cleric is a good choice for a starting character - if you have the Players Handbook then have a squint through the gods towards the back as they may well give you some guidance on character and background - each god has a suggested domain as well which helps narrow it down. Think about who you'd like the guy to be - even if you aren't into the RP side of things v much and like the game mechanics it can still help ground your character decisions. Page 294 is the list of gods for Forgotten Realms which is where we are I think :D

Yep, got a copy of the Handbook here (no more putting off reading it anymore!). My next question was about what Gods were in play, so I'll see what kind of character I can cock cook up this evening.

I'm thinking some kind of Magic user as I've always played very much not Magic users in the past. I'll have a proper think about it over the next day or two and put something together. Really looking forward to this.

I'd be interested if there is space. Not played D&D in years, and as the lockdown drags on I miss regular "tabletop" gaming.

I am not very familiar with D&D but played Vampire and Werewolf extensively many moons ago.

EDIT: you definitely have a good party size there, I'll wait for the next game!

Just now, Benny said:

I'd be interested if there is space. Not played D&D in years, and as the lockdown drags on I miss regular "tabletop" gaming.

yep no problem see my post above for links etc and feel free to msg me about character etc.

so that will be at the moment

Bridger

Spatial

Welrain

Seamonster

Graham S

Benny

Ry (possibly)

7 is getting close to the limit I think but I'm aware some of the above are tentative inquiries :D

Given the mix of experience I am likely to go with a simple solid opening adventure and then it can act as a jumping off point. It won't be Phandelver though :D

How is this played normally? Discord server? I appreciate people might use Zoom for video but I think I'd be out unless it was audio chat only

Spoiler

Because I am ugly obviously.

@bridger@Spatial@Seamonster@Welrain@Benny@Ry@Graham S

I'd like to kick things off next friday at 730 if we can. Given the varying experiences this might be a "session 0" where we just say hello introduce our characters (even if it is only a name a class and race so far) and I will be able to give you an idea about the campaign. We can also use this to help out with rolling characters, all the techie gaming stuff that needs Is dotting and Ts crossed* as well if necessary. Basically an open session to help get things ready. Leading to the first proper session a week later.

If by the time this "session 0" rolls around we have all the characters sorted etc then I could expand the session to give a taster of a little opening to the campaign.

I want this to be open and collaborative so we cover all experience levels and also create a nice welcome session. Also I am aware that I am used to DMing 7 familiar voices so it will be good to put voices to names to help me ensure I can identify you all!

*but feel free to message me for help or to give advice on all that character stuff between now and then!

Oh and to anyone else reading thinking they missed the boat I am happy to take down names and either add you in (although we are getting very close to our party size limit) or put you on a standby list as it were