Two things spring to mind

If they are going to reboot it and remake it and make it a silly OTT action flick then it is pointless it  has been done and they'll never top it.

If they are going to reboot it and do a different take on it , more "serious", then it might have legs. But to be honest if you were going to do that then why call it Face/Off as you just invite comparisons.

It would be like remaking/rebooting Commando - The original is superb as it is an action-cheese-fest and trying to replicate that would be pointless and trying to make a serious version would just make no sense.

Wingard made some fun genre films early in his career. As soon as he started on trashy Hollywood remakes his stuff turned to shit. 

This just doesn't need a remake, what's the point? You aren't going to have better action. 

I watched Face/Off the other day for the first time in maybe 15 years and, daft as the entire premise is, it holds up so so well as a stunning action movie. The plot is of course bananas, the performances so hammy you’d swear someone swapped Nicholas Cage’s face onto a pig and there is the now infamous stunt man scene(s), but by god it’s still brilliant. 

Watched this when I was about 15 and I found it amazing, it seemed to be the first action film with a really deep dramatic engrossing story and this really epic film score. I probably watched it about 5+ times. I watched it with my dad/step mum who also found it incredible. Yet there was 100% no irony to it, it was a genuine love for the film. It was on the same level as T2 for us. We didn't find it hammy/funny at all.

I do now of course but yeah I can't under estimate how amazing this film was at the time. 

Still one of the top level brainless action movies of all time, and as mentioned above the ludicrous levels of hamminess with the dialogue make it all the better

'I hate to see you go but I love to watch you leave' etc etc

They're going to make this edgy and contemporary and stick a black lives matter angle on it with the face swappers being white/black aren't they, or some MAGA type with a San Fran tech liberal. 

• JohnC changed the title to Face/Off sequel

I'm guessing they will get John Travolta back at least since its a sequel. Even if its just a small part. He's not up to much these days (except starring in bona-fide masterpieces like The Fan) 

It will still be utter shite though. 

I'll assume like the Total Recall and Robocop remakes that, whatever else it is, it will be boring.

Maybe they'll go completly fucking mental and it is a proper sequel where Castor didn't die somehow and its an aging Cage swapping faces with an aging Travolta.

Or maybe we get a grown up Castor's son, who Archer adopted at the end of the first one, swapping faces with someone else.

Casting question - which two actors would you go for as the 2020s equivilant of Travolta and Cage?

They should do a crossover with one of those "aging action stars" things, Expendables or whatever (never seen them sorry) and have pretty much everyone swapping faces and playing each other. 

19 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Fuck/Off

My sentiments exactly. The Hollywood ideas factory is fresh out, you can imagine the person that pitched this in a meeting as a desperate piss take, only then to be given the green light. 

This is going to be as good as Spike Lee's OldBoy. Is Will Smith busy currently, ideal casting

They should have gone prequel, got Nick and John back in the lead roles and digitally de-aged them

2 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

I'll assume like the Total Recall and Robocop remakes that, whatever else it is, it will be boring.

I can't think of a remake that so spectacularly missed the point as the newer Total Recall.