Game-breaking items, weapons and moves

Ghost Recon Wildlands has two things that make the game ridiculously easy if you combine them - the drone and the 'sync shot'. You safely fly your drone over an enemy base, marking enemies from afar. Then you press the 'synch shot' button and your AI buddies take out the marked enemies with 100% accuracy every time. Repeat till the base is clear. Obviously, I didn't abuse this when I played the game but in the Giant Bomb review they just do this and declare the game to be shit.

I've not played it, but I've heard that Horizon Zero Dawn has a move where you hide in some long grass and do a 'lure' whistle to make a nearby Zoid wander over. Then you press a button to instantly take them down silently. Everyone says it's game-breaking and tbh it the idea of it puts me off playing the game a bit.

Any others?

Idea courtesy of @Retroid

The dodge in Nier Automata. If you hammer dodge there are very few frames where you aren't invincible. It's really badly balanced. The whole game is a bit of a mess from an action perspective.

There was a debate quite some time ago in the BOTW that about the use of stasis and combating lynels. some felt it was a little game breaking but I felt it was fine to use. 

Sometimes recharging energy bars make games a little too easy to hide behind a box until it comes back up.

Think a lot of old school JRPGs end up having MP/HP drain spells which just make it far too easy to replenish at times too.

I don't know if it's been fixed since, but the sniper rifles in Cyberpunk can shoot through anything. Combined with the ping ability which highlights enemies, you can take out entire groups of enemies without getting line of sight on any of them, just ping the nearest vending machine and click on all their heads.

When the scripting bugged out and a rolling shutter slammed down in front of my face, locking me out of a big arena battle instead of trapping me in it, it didn't matter as I could just snipe everyone and everything.

The elbow in Double Dragon, infinitely loopable when enemies are trying to stand up.

Even more ancient, there was a way to get infinite amount of points by a gentle nudge on the key to ‘tap’ a large fruit in Hungry Horace...

I had a lot more patience back then, and I maintain that there’s no-one on earth who could score as much as I did on that game.

I’d also argue that there’s no-one on earth who could be bothered to do it either, but there we go.

I read that the Flying Swallow move was extremely overpowered in the original version of Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox, but was nerfed in Ninja Gaiden Black (the only version I've played) and Sigma.

It was still a powerful move in NG Black, but you couldn't just spam it and expect to kill everything without any risk.

4 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Think a lot of old school JRPGs end up having MP/HP drain spells which just make it far too easy to replenish at times too.

The SP regen support skills in P3-5. Each of the games severely limits how long you can stay in a dungeon because SP is so hard to replenish, but things like Rise’s skills in P4 and Takemi’s accessories in P5 let you stay in there forever and clear a dungeon in one in-game day.

Also, Estoma in classic Persona is a little busted. P1-2 are full of random battles and you have to fill out the map by exploring, uncovering the layout... and getting into more battles. It’s supposed to be long-winded and time-consuming, but Estoma effectively “turns off” low-level random encounters for a duration, and it costs barely anything to use, so you can get a lot of mapping done very quickly...

Nice thread! :lol:

The Candle (especially) in the original Isaac is crazy and goes completely against the structure of game. Everything in Isaac is more or less reliant on building and modifying your tears; you might get the odd powerful active item but you'll only be able to use it sparingly, every 3/6 rooms or so. The Candle on the other hand recharges very quickly and you'll probably get to use it 3 or 4 times a *room*; it's powerful, slow moving and hits for every frame it touches an enemy. 

It's pretty much a won run from there out and the item is so common; showing up in shops in most runs (and is pretty much guaranteed if you have the D6). It got to the point where a mass of people would abandon watching a stream if the runner took it.

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

I read that the Flying Swallow move was extremely overpowered in the original version of Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox, but was nerfed in Ninja Gaiden Black (the only version I've played) and Sigma.

It was still a powerful move in NG Black, but you couldn't just spam it and expect to kill everything without any risk.

That's probably the only reason I managed/bothered to finish it. That's the move where you jump in the air and you zip towards their head, locked on, right?

Remember the first version of Metropolis Street Racer that came out that let you bypass the set race restrictions making things a lot easier? I think they had to actually take it off the shelves and release a new patched version, but I got the original 2nd hand. It was the first driving game I ever became enthusiastic about and I enjoyed it more because it wasn't painfully difficult and there were ways of exploiting the system (infinite doughnuts for kudos!)

28 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

That's probably the only reason I managed/bothered to finish it. That's the move where you jump in the air and you zip towards their head, locked on, right?

That's the one!

28 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Remember the first version of Metropolis Street Racer that came out that let you bypass the set race restrictions making things a lot easier? I think they had to actually take it off the shelves and release a new patched version, but I got the original 2nd hand. It was the first driving game I ever became enthusiastic about and I enjoyed it more because it wasn't painfully difficult and there were ways of exploiting the system (infinite doughnuts for kudos!)

When Sega recalled the launch copies (announced in the Official DC magazine), I sent off for a replacement version. I'm glad that the revised version fixed the bug of being able to complete races without fulfilling the criteria; I wouldn't have liked to complete the game unsure if that bug had helped me at some point.

But the new version didn't tweak the race unlocking balance, so that Kudos trick you mention (hit the lap target time on the first lap, and spend the rest of the time using skids to build up Kudos!) still worked!

3 hours ago, Pob said:

I've not played it, but I've heard that Horizon Zero Dawn has a move where you hide in some long grass and do a 'lure' whistle to make a nearby Zoid wander over. Then you press a button to instantly take them down silently. Everyone says it's game-breaking and tbh it the idea of it puts me off playing the game a bit.

This isn't true. The attack will kill weaker enemies but not stronger ones. Its also one enemy at a time and gas limited range, so while it's powerful, it isn't game breaking.

3 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

The crouch leg sweep in Way of the Exploding Fist. You could defeat every opponent and get to 10th Dan using that move alone.

Sorry, that's an ancient one.

Raiden in MK1 fell for the same trick. His getting up animation was several frames too long so your sweep would always hit. Works only on Raiden because of his unique animation.

23 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Hadouken in Street Fighter. Just keep doing them! Easy win. 

My mates wouldnt let me play as E Honda because of the thousand hand thing, was told I had 'no skill' and 'shite'

1 hour ago, df0 said:

The rocket aoe attack in the modern Deus Ex. Turns every boss fight to a press-to-win event.

Weren't they put in as a purposeful skip? A bit like the rocket launcher in Resi 4. 

The tranquilliser gun in MGS5.

You start with it and can take out every single basic army man in the game with it, it essentially undermines most of the game's systems and equipment outside of certain set pieces.

Warframe has some wonderful, destroy everything you see in seconds builds. Saryn Prime and Mesa Prime being two of my favourites.

Broken beyond belief and tons of fun to use.