15 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Really enjoyed this issue. But it's making me close to buying the Capcom Switch bundle thing - so it's looking like a costly mag.

Absolutely. I defy anyone to read the Capcom feature and not want to splash out on the Stadium collection. 

Here’s Darran and the lads getting their commission from Capcom.

D3576D31-0A28-47C3-ACDC-74A7DF2C00E4.gif

4 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

Absolutely. I defy anyone to read the Capcom feature and not want to splash out on the Stadium collection. 

Can. Worms.

5 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

Could you not find the gif of Scrooge McDuck diving into a pile of coins?

Hey sorry to hi-jack this thread but not sure which one of you i need to contact about this but one of the people i follow on Twitter is looking for some information from issue 161.

https://twitter.com/DrLavaYT/status/1364154741312290819

"Another Magazine Hunt: I tried to buy this digital, but it appears that option's not available going back this far. Do any of y'all have Retro Gamer issue 161? There's a few interview pages, if someone could snap a few photos, I'd appreciate it. DM's are open!"

The guy runs these amazing stories about Pokemon and even behind the scenes regarding it. 

Sorry again to hi-jack but fingers crossed someone can help him out. 

36 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Hey sorry to hi-jack this thread but not sure which one of you i need to contact about this but one of the people i follow on Twitter is looking for some information from issue 161.

https://twitter.com/DrLavaYT/status/1364154741312290819

"Another Magazine Hunt: I tried to buy this digital, but it appears that option's not available going back this far. Do any of y'all have Retro Gamer issue 161? There's a few interview pages, if someone could snap a few photos, I'd appreciate it. DM's are open!"

The guy runs these amazing stories about Pokemon and even behind the scenes regarding it. 

Sorry again to hi-jack but fingers crossed someone can help him out. 

Seems the tweet is no longer there - is it still required? If so let me know.

Loved the feature on PS1 visuals. Had no idea about the indie games tapping into that aesthetic, and the piece did a great job of conveying the experimentation and variety of that era. As you point out, there really isn't enough respect for the artistry of those games. 

15 hours ago, Marlowe said:

Loved the feature on PS1 visuals. Had no idea about the indie games tapping into that aesthetic, and the piece did a great job of conveying a the experimentation and variety of that era. As you point out, there really isn't enough respect for the artistry of those games. 

o/\o

So did I! For years (decades?) on forums I've said the PS1 aesthetic made games like Silent Hill scarier than modern photo-realistic games. And now, at long last, someone took it upon themselves not only to articulate this belief, but find a community which was has adopted it as their guiding ethos.

As a mag contributor it feels a bit weird to heap praise publicly, but this was one of my favourite things I've read anywhere in a long, long while.

The article felt very sophisticated, dare I say it, academic.

On 27/02/2021 at 11:01, Sketch said:

o/\o

So did I! For years (decades?) on forums I've said the PS1 aesthetic made games like Silent Hill scarier than modern photo-realistic games. And now, at long last, someone took it upon themselves not only to articulate this belief, but find a community which was has adopted it as their guiding ethos.

As a mag contributor it feels a bit weird to heap praise publicly, but this was one of my favourite things I've read anywhere in a long, long while.

The article felt very sophisticated, dare I say it, academic.

Yeah it was a bit Edge.

Im glad everyone is enjoying this issue. Im not.

MagazinesDirect really are as bad as everyone says. I subscribed in December, expecting to receive my first issue in January. That didnt turn up. The February issue didnt turn up either.

I called them, and first they tried to tell me that I had given them a different address, and it had been posted there. After I said I had an email stating the delivery address, they then changed that approach and said oh - actually yes the address is fine, we had a technical issue which meant those issues were not sent out.

I asked for a refund, and the woman basically ignored me and said sure, we will extend your subscription for two further issues. I said I didnt want that, as I had no idea whether things would turn up. Then she said, OK, we can refund you, but only £9.20, so they had basically deducted the cost of the issues that didnt turn up.

Eventually we got it sorted, but I have no doubt that in "7-15 days" the refund will either not turn up, or will be for the wrong amount. This is a real shame, I love the magazine but im not dealing with these jokers again.

What's crazy is that that magazine subscriptions have shot up in the UK in the past 12 months and the publishers who have their subscriptions service right and doing brilliantly. This is the worst possible time to mess up people's subscriptions. 

2 hours ago, kempstar said:

Im glad everyone is enjoying this issue. Im not.

MagazinesDirect really are as bad as everyone says. I subscribed in December, expecting to receive my first issue in January. That didnt turn up. The February issue didnt turn up either.

I called them, and first they tried to tell me that I had given them a different address, and it had been posted there. After I said I had an email stating the delivery address, they then changed that approach and said oh - actually yes the address is fine, we had a technical issue which meant those issues were not sent out.

I asked for a refund, and the woman basically ignored me and said sure, we will extend your subscription for two further issues. I said I didnt want that, as I had no idea whether things would turn up. Then she said, OK, we can refund you, but only £9.20, so they had basically deducted the cost of the issues that didnt turn up.

Eventually we got it sorted, but I have no doubt that in "7-15 days" the refund will either not turn up, or will be for the wrong amount. This is a real shame, I love the magazine but im not dealing with these jokers again.

I'm sorry this has happened. It's frustrating when we hear stories like this as it's completely out of your control. If you do end up cancelling then please make sure you give the reason.

34 minutes ago, strider said:

I'm sorry this has happened. It's frustrating when we hear stories like this as it's completely out of your control. If you do end up cancelling then please make sure you give the reason.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I am going to look into the other subscription options. Just dont want to give them any more money!

In a timely manner I had a survey invite from the subscription team to complete a survey. I was happy to rate the magazine as excellent but the subscription service as poor. They’re not very good and don’t answer queries well. When I subscribed the offer was a mega man bobble head. Not that I really wanted one but it never arrived and they never answered any of my emails. 

On 16/02/2021 at 19:12, Rex Grossman said:

S tier games 

SFII

A tier games

Final Fight

Bionic Commando

B tier games 

Captain Commando

Forgotten Worlds

C tier games

Strider

D tier games 

Ghosts n Goblins

Ridiculous! The correct order:

S tier games 

SFII

A tier games

Bionic Commando

Ghosts n Goblins

B tier games 

Strider

Final Fight

Forgotten Worlds

C tier games

Captain Commando

There are no D-tier games in this list. Not sure why we've opted to include some of Capcom's more underwhelming brawlers and not their Actually Great Stuff,* but there we go.

* AvP, Armored Warriors, Shadow over Mystara

11 hours ago, strider said:

I’m hoping we get more packs, personally.

I think he's on about the choices on the magazine covers :)

Stadium has a number of CPS2 games already (Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Armoured Warriors, Cyberbots, Battle Circuit, Progear, etc.)

54 minutes ago, deKay said:

I think he's on about the choices on the magazine covers :)

Stadium has a number of CPS2 games already (Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Armoured Warriors, Cyberbots, Battle Circuit, Progear, etc.)

That makes sense. I'd just finished sending my 200th issue when I checked that.

So basically we got given over 30 pieces of art from Capcom and decided to choose covers based on two factors.

How good did the artwork look

Would this game sell copies of RG if it was the only cover.

As a result most of the later games like Progear and Armoured Warriors simply didn't make the cut. A shame as the Armoured Warriors art is amazing.

13 hours ago, Wiper said:

Ridiculous! The correct order:

S tier games 

SFII

A tier games

Bionic Commando

Ghosts n Goblins

B tier games 

Strider

Final Fight

Forgotten Worlds

C tier games

Captain Commando

There are no D-tier games in this list. Not sure why we've opted to include some of Capcom's more underwhelming brawlers and not their Actually Great Stuff,* but there we go.

* AvP, Armored Warriors, Shadow over Mystara

My list was based on science. You can't argue with science.

19 minutes ago, strider said:

So basically we got given over 30 pieces of art from Capcom and decided to choose covers based on two factors.

As a result most of the later games like Progear and Armoured Warriors simply didn't make the cut. A shame as the Armoured Warriors art is amazing.

Yeah, that makes complete sense! Though obviously the real solution was to have an edition for every piece of art Capcom sent ;)

Out of interest, I don't suppose you can tell us what the full list of games was that Capcom offered up art for?

1 hour ago, strider said:

That makes perfect sense, a lot of their CPS2 games got a pretty limited release in the West. Original, blue cased Progear CPS2 boards are rare as hens teeth.