Nintendo Franchises That Need New Games or Re-Releases

Aside from briefly messing with a Gamecube and Gameboy Advance, Switch is my first proper foray into Nintendoville and it's kinda sad to see how much IP they're sitting on. Not that they can't just come up with new stuff (haha), but it's a shame there's no F-zero. You know it would look utterly bonkers on this hardware.

1 hour ago, Flanders said:

A new F-Zero shouldn’t look utterly bonkers, it should have worse graphics than the N64 game but run at 8,000 frames per second. 

I want it so smooth and fast you can only see your craft in screenshots.

It's amazing the amount of IP Nintendo is sitting on. Aside from FZero, two slightly off the tack choices I'd go for are

Warioland. 2D or 3D but take license to do something chunkier, heavier and different to Mario. 

Duck Hunt. Nintendo loves periphals. The world needs light gun games back. Petople have solved the issues with new TVs. Do it Nintendo. 

12 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Really don’t want any more Mario kart. 8 is great but personally was the first one I’ve enjoyed since Super Circuit.  It was a series that went stale a while back, it really needs something revolutionary to shake the formula up to make it worthwhile. Same goes for Smash which I have no desire to ever play again, that series has been milked dry ages ago. I don’t think there is any other direction they can take Luigi’s mansion either. 

NSMB seems dead which is definitely a good thing, Nintendo’s worst ever series by far IMO, just bland, uninspiring and unoriginal. If Nintendo ever return to trying a 2D Mario hopefully they do something more creative in design like they’ve done with Yoshi and Kirby. Kirby is another one, every Nintendo console seems to have a new entry, does anyone ever ask for another Kirby? 

What makes NSMB seem any more dead than other series which had their Wii U versions rereleased on Switch?  It sold well enough, although nothing like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing.

7 hours ago, Ran said:

Well there is an unusually long first party direct tomorrow. Maybe some prayers will be answered! (Don't count on it!)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-16-surprise-theres-a-lengthy-nintendo-direct-tomorrow

They had a long one the other year and it was full of smash DLC

Kirby is a series that has had constant sequels that all seen the same and sell fuck all apart from Kirby Pinball which then never got a sequel . Iwata and Miyamoto clearly had favourites and there was no one powerful to stick up for the likes of Wave Race and Fzero and other actual beloved series.

I recall Miyamoto was once puzzled why so many were asking for a new Fzero. He felt the series had run its course.

No one fucking likes Kirby! 

3 hours ago, schmojo said:

One and done wat?

3 games. 4 if you include the arcade Super Punch-Out.

More if you include the Game & Watch and the Club Nintendo reward game.

@probotector So I looked up the sales numbers for all of the installments in each series, and I would venture to say that more than a few people like Kirby:

D511EFAF-EA13-4448-B657-9F17DE4CE8EE.thumb.jpeg.7c7ad7efbfe172378d7cdad087c3c186.jpeg

More to the point, however: it feels like Kirby allows developers more flexibility to come up with ideas for new games, but that’s not really the case with F-Zero. It could very well be that the people at Nintendo simply don’t see what they could do to make a new F-Zero game interesting.

I also wonder how much merchandise sales can influence on what franchises get entries. Despite being one of the worst received films they had made up until then, Cars got a sequel off the back of its utterly gargantuan merch sales which made it a viable cash cow for Pixar and Disney (it also being Lasseter's pet project likely helped too), so I'm curious if something similar comes into play with Nintendo? Kirby is marketable to a younger audience and has a pleasant, immediately identifiable image. I've seen Kirby plushies, toys, decals and clothing, and even mad stuff like the pop-up Kirby Cafe which is now a permanent fixture. Did F-Zero ever have that kind of cultural impact or viability for further sales? Can the same be applied to other dormant IP's? I hardly ever see Metroid merch, never mind the likes of Punch-Out, 1080 or Wave Race.

As for the Direct, I'd be interested to see if they're doing anything with Donkey Kong. 3 years since Tropical Freeze which was a Wii U re-release, I'd personally like to see another shot at the 3D Platformer with him.

Biggest desire is for some meaty third party stuff. Though they take their time we by and large know Nintendo will deliver the goods on their first-party titles, so I'd like to see what they have supporting that. Now that they own both Grezzo and Next Level, I'm wondering if they'll have them stay on making remakes and sequels to existing properties or entrust them to make something new like Monolith.

Edit: Bah, thought I was in the general Switch thread, last two paragraphs should belong there. The Kirby stuff I still think is relevant to this thread though.

I think we've clearly hit on the problem with games like F Zero & Wave Race, they just don't hit the demographic Nintendo are after nowadays as are not widely recognised family marketable titles with strong characters (I know we all love the types of vehicle and pilots in F Zero, but they don't resonate widely) but more than that what can you do with them to bring in that huge audience needed to justify the investment and years it takes for Nintendo to actually release something - that quality costs and we've seen recently even with something like Mario Tennis that people are quite harsh on a relative rush job they've farmed out to another dev.

EA could bash out an F Zero or Wave Race every year or 2 and get away with it - Nintendo can't or won't allow themselves to, it's just not what they do.

That said at this point I'd be happy to just see the old games ported over without even much of a remaster to Switch

What you are saying is Nintendo is lazy and after easy wins.

If they can waste time And money on low selling vanity projects like labo and Mario kart live and other lesser games they have released like that cutting game, they can release an Fzero or wave race.

17 minutes ago, probotector said:

What you are saying is Nintendo is lazy and after easy wins.

If they can waste time And money on low selling vanity projects like labo and Mario kart live and other lesser games they have released like that cutting game, they can release an Fzero or wave race.

it's the exact opposite - if they were lazy and after easy wins they'd just farm out all this stuff to 2nd party devs and swamp the schedules

I imagine things like Labo & the little remote control carts are harder to do and cost more than trotting out the easy option - its admirable that they try this odd stuff even if it doesn't land or I don't want to buy it, the mindset of not doing the expected sees the likes of BotW happen.

BotW isn’t anything innovative.

It was the obvious next gen move for Zelda. It was the original open world game. If anything, they were a generation late to making the jump because they were too busy thinking waggle was where Zelda should be going not a massive continuous open world 

11 minutes ago, probotector said:

BotW isn’t anything innovative.

It was the obvious next gen move for Zelda. It was the original open world game. If anything, they were a generation late to making the jump because they were too busy thinking waggle was where Zelda should be going not a massive continuous open world 

Regardless of whether you think it’s innovative or a generation behind, it’s not lazy which is what you’re accusing them of. 

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

I think we've clearly hit on the problem with games like F Zero & Wave Race, they just don't hit the demographic Nintendo are after nowadays as are not widely recognised family marketable titles with strong characters (I know we all love the types of vehicle and pilots in F Zero, but they don't resonate widely) but more than that what can you do with them to bring in that huge audience needed to justify the investment and years it takes for Nintendo to actually release something - that quality costs and we've seen recently even with something like Mario Tennis that people are quite harsh on a relative rush job they've farmed out to another dev.

EA could bash out an F Zero or Wave Race every year or 2 and get away with it - Nintendo can't or won't allow themselves to, it's just not what they do.

That said at this point I'd be happy to just see the old games ported over without even much of a remaster to Switch

If you use Disney as an example they have a wide range of franchises that appeal to families and kids. Children don’t always want to the cute cuddly characters, they like the badass wielding the gun too. A critique of Nintendo is that they’ve definitely become even more Mario focused than before, most of their games revolve around a small core group of characters with a similar art design. It’s definitely one of my criticisms of the switch that the first party games are too Mario centred. Zelda is a bit of an outlier being so hugely popular that it can’t be ignored. 

Splatoon is a good example of what Nintendo can do if they want to. More of that please. And definitely is room for Nintendo to expand their core canon or give room for non traditional Nintendo characters to breathe. Samus for example is much more relevant in today’s society and is hugely marketable to kids. I think a little less conservatism is needed by Nintendo.