Xbox Series FPS Boost - Absolute Shedload of Games Added

2 hours ago, Ferine said:

Hopefully they manage to get Dishonored 2 to work, as that game feels terrible on Xbox. Doubling the framerate should at least help with the apparent input lag, although I think the acceleration ramp on the sticks might be the real issue.

Think I'll give Prey a replay. I didn't really mess with the various Typhon powers when it released, so I can start afresh with the intention of doing so. And then end up playing it exactly the same way I did originally, obviously.

I’m playing it right now and it feels fine to me, it’s 30fps but it’s rock solid, it’s also a beautiful looking game, I can’t say I’ve had any problems with input lag either. 

53 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I'll be interested to see if you like it. I think too much time had passed,  it feels like something from a different time (because it is!) But I don't tend to like retro things anyway. 

I started replaying it a while back and its fine if harder than I remember. Sneak and Archery are the way to go, always fall back into that old habit.

6 hours ago, ChristopherBloodAxe said:

It's locked to 30fps. Cinematic.

Or more likely a paid GOTY remaster next year at £70/€80. 

It is not locked on PC so nothing to do with artistic choices. 

7 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

I'll be interested to see if you like it. I think too much time had passed,  it feels like something from a different time (because it is!) But I don't tend to like retro things anyway. 

It felt like that at the time as well.

The Xbox game pass app is showing a number of games as X|S enhanced despite them not having the associated text. Maybe it could be an error but I'd say it's more likely to be a backend change that hasn't been reflected on the store pages yet. Games include Prey and other confirmed FPS boost games. Hopefully this means the boost is imminent and also a lot more games will get it day one than they have announced so far.

When I tried Skyrim, it didn't feel like 60fps, is that up and running now? 

I re-enabled auto HDR and couldn't see a setting for particular games so I assume I'm not on the latest update, which might be why?

I just remembered that there's supposed to be a logo that pops up to say "FPS boost" is that happening for people? 

Edit:

"It should be noted that FPS Boost on these games isn't available just yet and an exact date wasn’t revealed during the podcast. When Microsoft does add this support, you’ll have the option to toggle the feature on and off, if you ever feel like you might want to play them in their original state again."

10 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Seems odd that they didn’t launch on Game Pass with the enhancements.

Maybe it requires more testing and checking.  

Alternatively, they get more press by announcing and then subsequently demoing and then finally releasing the feature. 

43 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Seems odd that they didn’t launch on Game Pass with the enhancements.

I'd guess that as wahwah says, they are technically ready to go, just not ready from a marketting perspective and possibly final testing. They wouldn't want to make a song and dance about it and then release the games not working properly.

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

When I tried Skyrim, it didn't feel like 60fps, is that up and running now? 

I re-enabled auto HDR and couldn't see a setting for particular games so I assume I'm not on the latest update, which might be why?

I just remembered that there's supposed to be a logo that pops up to say "FPS boost" is that happening for people? 

Edit:

"It should be noted that FPS Boost on these games isn't available just yet and an exact date wasn’t revealed during the podcast. When Microsoft does add this support, you’ll have the option to toggle the feature on and off, if you ever feel like you might want to play them in their original state again."

There's a little mod available on the current game pass version that will enable 60fps. I'd usually not mention it but it's so easy to sort and with no downsides that it's worth a go if you want to play it asap. 

10 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Although I think it disables achievements if you’re running mods, obviously not a deal breaker for some but might affect others decision to use them. 

I'm sure I saw some text on this one saying that it didn't affect achievements? Note: user may have dreamed this/made it up.

Wait! Aha! https://primagames.com/tips/how-play-skyrim-xbox-series-x-60-fps-without-losing-achievements

41 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Oh okay, that’s interesting. I wonder why disabling the mod doesn’t also lock the frame rate at 30 again, and I wonder if you can do this with other mods. 

Because the mod kicks in when the game boots. Don't think it works with most mods. 

1 hour ago, jonny_rat said:

There's a little mod available on the current game pass version that will enable 60fps. I'd usually not mention it but it's so easy to sort and with no downsides that it's worth a go if you want to play it asap. 

+1'd I appreciate the heads up but I think I'm going to pass on Skyrim, there's too many things to play and shallow though it may seem, I just can't be bothered with the clunkiness. 

In other "is this really 60fps?" news, I tried resuming my long abandoned run of the Evil Within was thinking "man, this must have been unplayable at 30, how did I get this far with it?" I think that's the one I'm going to be trying once the magic frame rate improvement has been released.

In an effort to clear my backlog this year, I went back to Evil Within a few weeks ago. I'm on about Chapter 9 now and I'm - surprisingly, given its reception on release - really enjoying it. Granted, it looks like a 360 game, but given I'm not much of a graphics whore and framerates have never bothered me I'm finding it pretty immersive. So much so, I've got Evil Within 2 installed ready for when I finish this. 

11 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

In an effort to clear my backlog this year, I went back to Evil Within a few weeks ago. I'm on about Chapter 9 now and I'm - surprisingly, given its reception on release - really enjoying it. Granted, it looks like a 360 game, but given I'm not much of a graphics whore and framerates have never bothered me I'm finding it pretty immersive. So much so, I've got Evil Within 2 installed ready for when I finish this. 

I've been playing EW2 over the last two weeks or so. Utterly fantastic game IMHO. 

Evil Within 2 is a great game, especially the third or so chapter where it goes open world for a bit. I'll be jumping back in when 60fps presumably comes.

Evil Within had a stumbling block right at the beginning with an instadeath chase that pissed me off so I binned the game entirely. Is there a thing to it I missed or is it just a bad part of the game?

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Evil Within had a stumbling block right at the beginning with an instadeath chase that pissed me off I binned the game entirely. Is there a thing to it I missed or is it just a bad part of the game?

Bad part of the game. That's where I binned it off years ago after about 20 attempts. When I started it again this month I got past it first time and made steady progress with it since. It's similar to the Resident Evil games in that you start off weak but the more weapons and upgrades you get makes the latter half of the game far easier. 

I'm at a bit where the enemies are invisible, which is chapter 5 of 7. If you were put off early on, you may find there are other parts of the game coming up that you find more objectionable...

Just now, Wahwah* said:

I'm at a bit where the enemies are invisible, which is chapter 5 of 7. If you were put off early on, you may find there are other parts of the game coming up that you find more objectionable...

There's 15 chapters, apparently. I'm on 9 at the minute. The invisible enemies vanish after a couple of chapters.

7 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

There's 15 chapters, apparently. I'm on 9 at the minute. The invisible enemies vanish after a couple of chapters.

Have they vanished or is it that you just can't see them? How can you be sure :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Have they vanished or is it that you just can't see them? How can you be sure :ph34r:

• moosegrinder changed the title to Xbox Series FPS Boost - Absolute Shedload of Games Added