Xbox Series FPS Boost - Absolute Shedload of Games Added

Skyrim’s opening with FPS boost on is so janky.

the wagons just occasionally bounce into the air on one wheel. Love to know if it’s consistent on anyone else’s Xbox.

22 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Gave Fallout 4 a quick go and it looks like 1080p to me, which seems like a very aggressive cut. Feels like the Series X hardware should be able to hand in a steady 60 at 1440p, so I wonder if they're essentially running it in One S mode rather than injecting a new target resolution.

the issue, is the game itself being a broken mess:lol:

On PC, using summit like MSI after burner, which shows cpu and gpu usage, the frame rate can tank, and yet, its not using anything fully. Its the game engine itself!

Everyone who missed it the first time round: play Prey.

One of the most criminally overlooked games of the last generation. 

Arkane are firmly established as the modern masters of the immersive sim and Prey sits alongside Dishonored as one of its best examples and the natural spiritual successor to the classic System Shock 2.

The opening sequence is brilliant but once you’re in the space station proper it can be a little offputting to some as it throws you in at the deep end. Stick with it and you’ll be rewarded with a wonderfully dense and open-ended experience that never fails to give the player meaningful choice in their approach through one of modern gaming’s most evocative and well-designed locations.

3 hours ago, Ry said:

In some instances, because there are higher graphics requirements to enable FPS Boost technology, we’ve had to reduce a game’s resolution to ensure it both runs smoothly and plays great. In those select cases, such as Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 in this latest title announcement, FPS Boost is not automatically enabled for Xbox Series X gamers. For all titles receiving this update, gamers will see a clear indicator if a title is running FPS Boost.

This to me is very strange.

FPS Boost was presented as DirectX level injection similar to PC tools. But now they have to "tune" the game and change the resolution (probably meaning that they are they running the One S version instead of the One X version for these games???) makes it less magical. 

Still great that we get 60fps in these titles, even at lower resolution. Hope to see AC Odyssey-Origins and RDR2 in the near future (but the last one seems unlikely). 

26 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Arkane are firmly established as the modern masters of the immersive sim and Prey sits alongside Dishonored as one of its best examples and the natural spiritual successor to the classic System Shock 2.

The opening sequence is brilliant but once you’re in the space station proper it can be a little offputting to some as it throws you in at the deep end. Stick with it and you’ll be rewarded with a wonderfully dense and open-ended experience that never fails to give the player meaningful choice in their approach through one of modern gaming’s most evocative and well-designed locations.

I’m going to give it a go but I’m dubious as I don’t often like FPS games. I’ve enjoyed some: the occasional CoD campaign, Titanfall 2 and others, but I’ve never liked Doom and those fast twitchy ones. 

Just now, Pockets said:

I’m going to give it a go but I’m dubious as I don’t often like FPS games. I’ve enjoyed some: the occasional CoD campaign, Titanfall 2 and others, but I’ve never liked Doom and those fast twitchy ones. 

it isn’t an FPS, and certainly not fast or twitchy.

29 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

I’ll be playing that one just as soon as I finish Dishonored 2, which is also absolutely top class. Although I might play Doom Eternal or something else first as a palette cleanser between immersive sims :)

Just now, Stanley said:

I’ll be playing that one just as soon as I finish Dishonored 2, which is also absolutely top class. Although I might play Doom Eternal or something else first as a palette cleanser between immersive sims :)

Yeah I definitely wouldn’t play it immediately after Dishonored 2 as it’s very much constructed from the same Arkane DNA. You can have too much of a good thing in quick succession.

But if you’re enjoying Dishonored then you’ll almost certainly like Prey too. You’re not as savagely powerful as you are in Dishonored (for most of the game anyway) and can’t toy with the enemies in the same way but Prey focuses more on the exploration and player choice aspects of the immersive sim approach. 

Whereas Dishonored has you making your way through discrete levels with a final goal/target in each, Prey is one large interconnected space that has you teasing out the possibilities and discoveries in each area and then bringing them all together to one of several possible conclusions.

It does some really cool things with the sci-fi setting and its story is more open-ended.

Both brilliant games. :wub: Arkane.

27 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

This to me is very strange.

FPS Boost was presented as DirectX level injection similar to PC tools. But now they have to "tune" the game and change the resolution (probably meaning that they are they running the One S version instead of the One X version for these games???) makes it less magical. 

Still great that we get 60fps in these titles, even at lower resolution. Hope to see AC Odyssey-Origins and RDR2 in the near future (but the last one seems unlikely). 

When they first unveiled FPS boost last year using Fallout 4 as the example, they weren’t using the DirectX hack trick, it was a completely different method. Based on their statement above it sounds like FPS Boost is a catch all term for a variety of methods they’re mixing and matching, depending on the engine. 

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Its working now. Dishonored has Auto HDR as not available.

Auto HDR looks really, really bad on games with heavy bloom, which is why I turned it off for Sniper Elite 4. I’m presuming the exteriors in Dishonoured are just too bright for it to work properly. 

I'm once again shocked at how much the frame rate matters to me. I've tried playing Prey a few times now and not really got in to it. I'm absolutely hooked on the Series X version with FPS boost.

2 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

I'm once again shocked at how much the frame rate matters to me. I've tried playing Prey a few times now and not really got in to it. I'm absolutely hooked on the Series X version with FPS boost.

How’s the loading? 

19 minutes ago, Stanley said:

How’s the loading? 

What loading? Most I've noticed is about long enough to look at my phone for a few seconds. Is it bad on last gen?

10 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

What loading? Most I've noticed is about long enough to look at my phone for a few seconds. Is it bad on last gen?

On the demo I played I can remember levels loading from the main hub area did take quite a while yeah. 

Lol, there's me thinking i have been playing Skyrim in 60FPS all along. Switched it on tonight, how wrong was I!

Then I played Yakuza 2 in good old "cinematic" 30FPS.

9 hours ago, Ferine said:

Gave Fallout 4 a quick go and it looks like 1080p to me, which seems like a very aggressive cut. Feels like the Series X hardware should be able to hand in a steady 60 at 1440p, so I wonder if they're essentially running it in One S mode rather than injecting a new target resolution.

For Series S users, the game was initially at 1080p anyway right? 

So if I go play F4 or F76 tonight at the higher FPS on my S, I shouldn't notice a drop in resolution? My TV is just a bog-stanfard HD one, not capable of 4K or anything fancy. 

Vanilla Skyrim was still noticeably jittery in places throughout the intro (starting from the beginning for the X100th time). It settled down once I got past the  escape from Helgen. I went on to play through Bleak Falls Barrow and the first Dragon fight so very quickly settled into it. It's comfy slippers gaming. 

12 hours ago, Ferine said:

Yeah the MS engineers obviously don't know what they're doing - give them a call and put them right. ;)

3 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Prey also has none of that input lag I was told about - dunno if this was always the case on Seriex X, but it certainly is with the FPS Boost mode on.

It's gone thanks to the boost :)

2 hours ago, macosx said:

Been playing Prey the last few days. It looks absolutely crisp, gorgeous and buttery smooth; as if it was a brand new game.

I think it only got the boost yesterday...

14 hours ago, Rain Birds said:

Apparently, if you enter the Fallout games without FPS boost, go to home and enable it without quitting the game allows you to play at full-res 60fps with drops.

If true that's a top tip, thanks! Hopefully they'll add more granular options to the manage games section so in the future you can say you're ok with a few drops

Man, Dishonored is so good. I started a new game and played for a couple of hours last night. It's one of those games I always wanted to return to, but never did as the 360 version was never made compatible with XB1.

Thanks to the painterly style is still looks brilliant, and feels great at 60fps. I still find it uncomfortable panning around rooms when looking for goodies and interactive things ("panning for gold" I call it) but maybe that's a lack of motion blur or FOV issue.

Tempted to play through both games and all their DLC in one unbroken stream.

3 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

If true that's a top tip, thanks! Hopefully they'll add more granular options to the manage games section so in the future you can say you're ok with a few drops

Alas, I’ve now tried it myself and, unless I’ve missed something, I can’t seem to get it to work since FPS Boost requires a game to be restarted. Sorry!

Dishonoured doesn’t just hold up, the art design and deep gameplay ensure it’s still one of the best games out there. And at 60fps it looks like it just came out yesterday.

My failure to complete practically any games in the past ten years is finally paying off.

• moosegrinder changed the title to Xbox Series FPS Boost - Absolute Shedload of Games Added