Xbox Series FPS Boost - Dark Souls III Added

moosegrinder

53 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Trouble now is that I want to hold off on some titles I’ve not played like Dishonoured 2 to wait and see if they get an update. 

Yeah totally, I've got the Dishonored 2 and Prey DLCs at the ready but no way I'm playing them till they somehow get the 60fps treatment. Dishonored 2 in particular felt quite uncomfortable to me in 30fps, though there might be an FOV issue in there as well. All I know is that panning around a room looking for goodies felt nasty.

As key titles in the Bethesda acquisition, I'm hopeful.

I'm on the cusp of starting Yakuza Kiwami 2, only to learn that it's 30FPS.

To be honest I don't know if it will massively effect my enjoyment of this game when I get round to it, albeit it will be noticeable off of the back of 0 and Kiwami which are both 60. Hopefully they get round to updating games like this soon.

I would likely appreciate it if they did start announcing enhanced games as part of the game pass announcements - there's definitely been times where I've stuck on a game on my Xbox and was pretty much put off by a unstable framerate, in comparison to any differences in resolution.

As mentioned by DF though, there's certainly been times where some games are fairly agnostic to the hardware, even before Microsoft does any tampering.

Might be a placebo, but I could swear that I haven't experienced any drops in framerate on a couple of F2P games that haven't been enhanced for Series consoles yet, compared to playing them on a One X. PSO2 used to get choppy when it gets extremely busy (certain urgent quests, 30+ enemy/character models on screen and a load of item drops across the environment), but I haven't experienced that on a Series S yet because I'm guessing the new processor is just chewing through it and providing a better minimum frame rate.

5 minutes ago, Siri said:

, but I haven't experienced that on a Series S yet because I'm guessing the new processor is just chewing through it and providing a better minimum frame rate.

Exactly that. There's confusion because the Series S uses One S assets for last gen games, instead of any One X enhancements - because it's not a console aimed at 4k. This understandably creates a lot of confusion, even here there was someone asking whether the One X was still supposed to be better than the Series S. The Series S has a CPU that's night and day compared to the potato they unceremoniously shoved into the Xbone. So in every instance where there's too much stuff going on onscreen, too much AI and physics popping off at the same time, the One X will keel over while the Series S should have no problems.

21 hours ago, deerokus said:

Watching the digital foundry video, Sniper Elite 4 is MASSIVELY improved. Going to go back to that one. 

I tried Sniper Elite 2 a few years ago and didn't like it much. However, I tried #4 a couple of weekends ago and was glued to it for hours and been playing it a few evenings each week. I'll put this on hold until the 60fps update is out. Can't wait. It's like a WW2 Hitman.

3 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Trouble now is that I want to hold off on some titles I’ve not played like Dishonoured 2 to wait and see if they get an update. 

That's what this gen is for me. The waiting (for) game(s).

Cyberpunk: Waiting for the update

Control: Hurrah! Update released. Oh no, it won't stop crashing. Better wait for a new update. 

Halo: Whoa there, hold on for a year. 

8 minutes ago, routeburn said:

I tried Sniper Elite 2 a few years ago and didn't like it much. However, I tried #4 a couple of weekends ago and was glued to it for hours and been playing it a few evenings each week. I'll put this on hold until the 60fps update is out. Can't wait. It's like a WW2 Hitman.

It’s out now by the way. 

4 hours ago, Pob said:

Yeah totally, I've got the Dishonored 2 and Prey DLCs at the ready but no way I'm playing them till they somehow get the 60fps treatment. Dishonored 2 in particular felt quite uncomfortable to me in 30fps, though there might be an FOV issue in there as well. All I know is that panning around a room looking for goodies felt nasty.

As key titles in the Bethesda acquisition, I'm hopeful.

Dishonored 2 has really bad input latency. It's a recurring thing with Arkane games on consoles for some reason and it ruins them.

60fps alone would help with that. 

2 minutes ago, routeburn said:

I wanted to try Dishonored 2 and booted it up on Series S. Is it me or is the frame rate quite low and the input a bit laggy?

Not just you, as mentioned above the input latency is brutal on that game (and it seems to be something Arkane like, for some reason, all their games have it). 

Frame rate is capped at 30 which feels very chunky on a game like that. 

I've never noticed the input latency in Dishonoured 2 and I thought I was quite sensitive to that. Couldn't be doing with the second rebooted Tomb Raider game, for example, and I can feel it in emulated games on my Raspberry Pi.

32 minutes ago, routeburn said:

I wanted to try Dishonored 2 and booted it up on Series S. Is it me or is the frame rate quite low and the input a bit laggy?

It was one of the first games that I went to when I wanted to see how nice something would look on my One X / new OLED and I really struggled with something (may have been a frame rate / lag combo for me as I couldn't put my finger on what it was) to the point of me not persevering with it. Only other game I've ever had such an issue with was Outer Worlds which (and a quick Google showed I was far from alone) made me feel bit queasy!!  

Yeah, there’s something weird with the inertia in Dishonoured 2 which threw me right off when I tried to play it. It’s as if the camera is swinging around on a gimbal as you look and move around, rather than fixed.

I didn’t have any issues with Prey, for what it’s worth.

55 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Hopefully they'll release one for Control

So this doesn't work automatically for XB1 titles? I misread it as just working without game-specific patches, although perhaps they meant patches from the developers.

The video I posted clears up a lot of the confusion and explains the process behind such updates being released. It's like the BC program restarting again where we'll get games released on a bi weekly rate. Publishers and developers of the original titles have to give their approval so it's unlikely that games with remasters in the works or already out will be a part of this. 

4 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Yeah, there’s something weird with the inertia in Dishonoured 2 which threw me right off when I tried to play it. It’s as if the camera is swinging around on a gimbal as you look and move around, rather than fixed.

I didn’t have any issues with Prey, for what it’s worth.

Maybe it's the inertia effect that you speak of that got me. Couldn't put my finger on it at the time (thought I didn't hang round long) but it wasn't nice which was it was a shame as I loved the first one. Oh and just half an hour or so ago I saw that it's one of the games that this month has a MS rewards quest tied to it so it looks like I'll be off there again! Will be interesting to see if it gets me again this time round!! 

5 hours ago, TehStu said:

So this doesn't work automatically for XB1 titles? I misread it as just working without game-specific patches, although perhaps they meant patches from the developers.

It doesn't require game specific patches but needs to be enabled on a game-by-game basis. It's basically injecting a hack into the directx api kind of like fan mods for some games on pc. 

I'd imagine it won't work with most games but should hopefully roll out to plenty of them anyway. Next thing I want is for more 360 games to get the visual enhancements some of them already have.

On 18/02/2021 at 15:12, Uncle Nasty said:

Even without any big first party exclusives yet the Series X is easily the best console I've ever owned. Gamepass, improved old games, Series X enhancements, now this FPS Boost. MS are really taking care of their back catalogue with respect for both the games and their customers. Everyone wins. I really can't stress enough how much of a pleasure this console is to own and use.

I’ve found the same, mainly due to quick resume. I never had the issues with it some did early on but now it seems to work even better, across more games. Occasionally one will have dropped off but generally, as an increasingly impatient gamer, it’s made dying again in something go from turning the console off and doing something else change to just instantly loading up the round of golf I was playing the other day or something. 

It might be specifically for people like me or my age, but it’s always the feature I think people will be impressed by ahead of anything else, once they’re allowed to come round and see it. 

With quick resume, the fast loading times, the vast BC library going back to OG Xbox with enhanced titles looking and playing better than ever, Game Pass feeling like having another yod@box but legal, this new thing of doubling the framerate of older titles, and small QOL things like being able to customize your dash, being able to use last gen controllers, and also allow for eneloops to greatly enhance the usability of the controllers, I find myself enjoying my Series X almost more than any other console I've ever owned. Everything is brilliant and it's a joy to use. And it's dead silent too!

• moosegrinder changed the title to Xbox Series FPS Boost - Dark Souls III Added