Xbox Series FPS Boost - Some Bethesda Titles Added

Worth a read

We've seen a doubling of performance on older games running on the new wave of consoles already, of course. We've looked at Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last Guardian and God of War on PlayStation 5, while legacy titles running with unlocked frame-rates can also tap in to the extra horsepower of Xbox Series consoles and PS5. The difference with FPS Boost is that Microsoft's Xbox compatibility team is working its magic this time around to adjust frame-rate caps at the Direct3D level, increasing performance within the system, without any changes at all to the original code. As far as the games are concerned, they're still running at their original frame-rates.

In prior PR from Microsoft, the Xbox team have talked about doubling performance and at the basic level, that's exactly what's delivered. All of the five titles revealed today operate at 30 frames per second on Xbox One S - and four of them now run at 60fps on both Xbox Series consoles. The exception is New Super Lucky's Tale: this targeted 4K60 on Xbox One X and 1080p30 on Xbox One S. This is bumped up to 4K120 and 1080p120 on Series X and S consoles respectively - so yes, that's a quadrupling of performance comparing One S to Series S. There are no other changes to the game in terms of visuals, but the increase to performance is palpable: as we saw in Ori and the Will of the Wisps, platform games deliver a beautifully crisp experience at 120fps - and the Series consoles fully deliver. New Super Lucky's Tale is on Game Pass, meaning easy access for Series users to check this one out.

So automagically doing in software what we hoped the Pro/X refresh would do if patched. edit - well, kinda. Just framerate if it didn't have a One X tweak, otherwise potentially resolution and framerate. Still, this is awesome.

MS continue to knock it out the park with the backwards compatibity service. 

Might go back to sniper elite 4. A game that comes to mind straightaway that would benefit is Just Cause 3. Ran like a dog on xbox one. Rock solid 30 now but I'd expect it could do 60 or even 120 easily on the SX. 

Does it say why these 5 games? I've skimmed it but couldn't see why it's specifically these*. As amazing as this is is it a bit like the original backwards compatibility and on an ad hock basis or will it be 'automated' at some point and will just apply to any game?

*Yes my attention span is awful.

Once again, Microsoft are hilariously behind the curve - thanks to motion smoothing, my TV has been able to do this for years, and not just on Xbox games either. Anyone who hasn't experienced Outrun 2 at a TV-assisted 120fps cannot be said to have played it at all.

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Does it say why these 5 games? I've skimmed it but couldn't see why it's specifically these*. As amazing as this is is it a bit like the original backwards compatibility and on an ad hock basis or will it be 'automated' at some point and will just apply to any game?

*Yes my attention span is awful.

We chose this initial collection of titles not only because they are popular among fans, but to highlight several different ways that FPS Boost can improve your experience. For example, New Super Lucky’s Tale can now run up to 120 frames per second (fps) and UFC 4 delivers improved framerate performance specifically on Xbox Series S and can now run at 60fps.

Lucky's Tale and Sniper Elite are on game pass. 

I want an amalgamation of MS and Sony.

MS have the best hardware and software engineers, while Sony have the best game devs. Imagine how good our hobby would be if they joined forces.

Either that or they should just hurry up and buy Nintendo.

15 minutes ago, JPL said:

MS have the best hardware and software engineers, while Sony have the best game devs. Imagine how good our hobby would be if they joined forces.

Absolutely....  Frustrating having multiple console platforms out there because its more boxes under the TV.

Even if Sony released a Playstation app for the Xbox and MS put Xbox app on Sony it would be great. By and large the hardware is the practically the same these days only the controller is the main difference. Win/Win. Although hell would freeze over first.... :D 

I'd love to just buy a PS5 pad and play Astrobot on the PC or Xbox for example... or some other Sony exclusive without having to actually buy another piece of (for Sony) loss making hardware. It should be about the content and getting it sold to as many people as possible. They could protect a games exclusivity by just locking it to a Playstation app or something (likewise for Xbox app on PS). Still guards the ecosystem. Much the same way Netflix, Prime and Disney+ co-exist on the same device.

Sure it will get there in the end as the machines get ever similar.... give it another few cycles of hardware perhaps. Hopefully Sony might move to PC first. Take the pressure of everyone trying to find an overpriced box to play their content on anyway... 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

This is incredible, mind blowing stuff. Microsoft bypasses the need for devs to either patch or future proof their games. Their BC team are doing God's work and in this regard they're truly light years ahead of everyone else.

Yeah, they’re fantastic. Even the loading times for BC games on the Series consoles blow PS5 out of the water. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to see Sony rediscover backwards compatibility after  embracing it on PS2 and (initially) PS3, but Microsoft keep giving very good reason to go with them for digital purchases in particular.  

13 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

So are these updated now? I've got Sniper Elite 4 on my backlog and I'm looking for something a bit different after playing Yakuza 2 and 3 back to back. 

Yep, they’re working now.

I’ve been playing Sniper Elite 4 here and there for the past couple of months. It was ‘saved’ on my Series X via Quick Resume, having last been played about a week ago. 

Loaded it up in mere seconds and boom, all of a sudden it’s running at 60fps.

Absolute wizards over at the MS backwards compat team these days. 

52 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Hopefully Sony might move to PC first. Take the pressure of everyone trying to find an overpriced box to play their content on anyway

Show me a PC as powerful as an X or PS5 for the same money! :D

I’m hoping by the time E3, or whatever remains of it, rolls around this year all those studios MS have been buying will have plenty of AAA games to show off. It still won’t stop me buying a PS5 once they’ve redesigned it for the exclusives though.

8 minutes ago, JPL said:

Show me a PC as powerful as an X or PS5 for the same money! :D

I’m hoping by the time E3, or whatever remains of it, rolls around this year all those studios MS have been buying will have plenty of AAA games to show off. It still won’t stop me buying a PS5 once they’ve redesigned it for the exclusives though.

Well true but I'm talking a few years down the line. No reason why Sony can't make games scalable too. Anyhow never say never.... Would be kind of cool playing something like Gran Turismo 7 X-Play on a PC. 

1 hour ago, JPL said:

No way.

We need competition. If all platforms merge, there will be hell to pay for all of us. But maybe the offshoot of the Epic lawsuit against Epic is that rival stores and services need to be allowed on consoles as well. And this will upend everything. Likely big increase in hardware prices but much cheaper software and services all around. It would mean PS Now on Xbox and Game Pass/Xcloud on PlayStation. 

Thought this deserved its own thread as its a pretty big deal and would be handy to keep a list of all games that have received this boost. 

Been announced that they are looking to drop a bunch of new games every 2 weeks. From OG xbox, 360 and One. Pretty amazing from their engineers and the commitment to backwards compatibility continues to impress. 

List of confirmed games so far:

UFC 4

Watchdogs 2

Super Luckys Tale (120fps)

Sniper Elite 4

Far Cry 4

• moosegrinder changed the title to Xbox Series FPS Boost - Some Bethesda Titles Added